• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Entertainment and NetEase Renew Agreement to Bring Beloved Titles Back to China

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Previously: Netease and Blizzard suspended their games in China at the end of '22 and Netease even filed a lawsuit against Blizzard in April 2023.

Now: Looks like they have come to an agreement again.

Blizzard Entertainment and NetEase Renew Agreement to Bring Beloved Titles Back to China; Microsoft Gaming, NetEase Enter Broader Collaboration

Blizzard titles to return to mainland China beginning summer 2024
Microsoft Gaming and NetEase deepen their relationship, with a strategic partnership based on their shared desire to bring new gaming experiences to players across platforms and markets
IRVINE, Calif. & REDMOND, Wash. & HANGZHOU, China--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Beloved video game titles from Blizzard Entertainment that captivated millions of players in China will return to the market sequentially, beginning this summer, under a renewed publishing deal Blizzard Entertainment, Microsoft Gaming, and NetEase (NASDAQ: NTES and HKEX: 9999) announced today.

After continuing discussions over the past year, both Blizzard Entertainment and NetEase are thrilled to align on a path forward to once again support players in mainland China and are proud to reaffirm their commitment to delivering exceptional gaming experiences.
The renewed publishing agreement will encompass games Chinese players had access to under the previous agreement: World of Warcraft®, Hearthstone®, and other titles in the Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, and StarCraft® universes. Building upon more than 15 years of past collaboration, Blizzard and NetEase are working diligently on relaunch plans, with further details to be shared at a later date.

Separately, Microsoft Gaming and NetEase have also entered into an agreement to explore bringing new NetEase titles to Xbox consoles and other platforms.

“We at Blizzard are thrilled to reestablish our partnership with NetEase and to work together, with deep appreciation for the collaboration between our teams, to deliver legendary gaming experiences to players in China,” said Johanna Faries, President of Blizzard Entertainment. “We are immensely grateful for the passion the Chinese community has shown for Blizzard games throughout the years, and we are focused on bringing our universes back to players with excellence and dedication.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
There's some caveat to this, either lots of money involved or they adhered to some of the chinese requests

Netease: look who's come crawling back lol

begging homer simpson GIF

Pop

Hmm wonder whats going to happen to that upcoming Chinese mmo Tarisland. It was initially made to fill in the gap of WOW being removed from China years ago

Yonyx

Oh yay. More censorship incoming! Just what I always wanted. /s
As if there were no censorship in the West and the United States were not a rather puritanical society...

Is it known if they will be able to recover their accounts? Because imagine if someone who had been playing Hearthstone for 8 years had their account deleted and now they can't get it back...

Darsxx82

My main man Phil out there securing world peace.

And benefits for (lately quite annoying) Xbox console users.

Separately, Microsoft Gaming and NetEase have also entered into an agreement to explore bringing new NetEase titles to Xbox consoles and other platforms.

In fact I think it is the most interesting part of the news and it should be in the OP's title adamsapple adamsapple .

That they (NetEase-BL) would make peace again was a "when" with MS owning ABK, but an agreement to bring Netease games to Xbox consoles now that the number of NetEase Studios has grown a lot in recent years is a good move. Remember to those signed with SEGA/ATlus and Square and we have already seen the results.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Games are censored regionally, China usually get their own version of WoW and Diablo that the rest doesn't get, same to Spider Man in the Middle East.

And yet Blizzard was notorious for changing their games to appease Chinese demands. It didn’t even stop at that as Blizzard actively banned members for speaking out. Or did you forget about Blitzchung?

StereoVsn

And yet Blizzard was notorious for changing their games to appease Chinese demands. It didn’t even stop at that as Blizzard actively banned members for speaking out. Or did you forget about Blitzchung?
MS will do the same and more. They are the only US company offering a search engine in China and there have been incidents where they censored terms worldwide as Chinese parameters slipped into worldwide config.

MS does bunch of business over there so they will follow CCPs directive very closely.

I am curious to know the details of this new deal because MSFT + ABK vs NetEase is not ABK vs NetEase.

Last edited:
I remember when they tore down that WoW statue in protest because Blizz didn't want to renegotiate a new deal. So, I wonder what this new MS-ABK-NetEase deal entails.

Chinese company NetEase has torn down a World of Warcraft statue outside its headquarters in an apparent symbolic gesture aimed at Blizzard.

blizzard-statue-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I am curious to know the details of this new deal because MSFT + ABK vs NetEase is not ABK vs NetEase.

Microsoft has a much better relationship with China than ABK did, so at worst it’s the same as the previous deal. Probably better, but I doubt we’ll be getting details anytime soon.

There’s the added claim of potential additional support for Xbox with NetEase properties, but that’s vaguely worded.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Probably this:

“Blizzard and NetEase have done incredible work to renew our commitment to players – Blizzard’s universes have been part of players’ lives in the region for many years. Returning Blizzard’s legendary games to players in China while exploring ways to bring more new titles to Xbox demonstrates our commitment to bringing more games to more players around the world,” said Phil Spencer, CEO of Microsoft Gaming.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I love all the people who are acting like Microsoft buckling to the dictators running China is a good thing.

AJUMP23

Surprised to see this because I thought when they split there was some bad blood. But it shows that in business money talks. Especially when everyone can make some money and bend the knee to the Chinese sensors.

Microsoft has a much better relationship with China than ABK did, so at worst it’s the same as the previous deal. Probably better, but I doubt we’ll be getting details anytime soon.

There’s the added claim of potential additional support for Xbox with NetEase properties, but that’s vaguely worded.
Well, we know from Shrieker that one of the issues was data ownership in China. But Microsoft is already running services in China by themselves - like for example Bing - so I don't think Netease can strong arm them there too. Getting some Netease games on Xbox would be neat though.

Goalus

Good on the one hand, but concerning on the other hand.
I noticed that female characters in Netease games are quite attractive and tend to look like actual women. So could this partnership result in good-looking female characters in Blizzard games too? That would be a tragedy and force me to look away all the time while playing.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Now Chinese players can join in on the “d4bad” meme.

Thanks Phil.

Hudo

I am sorry if I am remembering that wrong but wasn't NetEase the group of manchildren that publicly trashed Blizzard merchandise etc. and made a whole drama out of it back then?

If so, then why the fuck are they working together again?

Top Bottom