• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is Receiving More Premium Content as Part of New Roadmap

Draugoth

Gold Member
Bloodstained-Roadmap_05-02-24-1024x576.jpg

The version 1.5 update for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night will launch on May 9 for PLayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, and on May 16 for Switch, publisher 505 Games and developer ArtPlay announced. It will be the game’s final update

The update will contain new game modes “Chaos Mode” and “Versus Mode,” and one free cosmetic pack. Three premium downloadable content cosmetic packs for Miriam will also launch alongside the update.

Get the details below.

■ Version 1.5 Update
Release Dates

We will be releasing across all regions simultaneously.
Contents
Update 1.5 will contain two new game modes, and one free cosmetic pack. Along with this, three premium downloadable content Miriam cosmetic packs will be available for purchase.
This will be the final update to the game.
Chaos Mode
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
“Chaos Mode” is local or online co-op action that you can play solo, with a friend or be matched with other players on the same system.
Fight through a series of randomized rooms to defeat demons and bosses.
Complete challenges before each boss to get powerful upgrades!
How long will you survive?
Versus Mode
“Versus Mode” is a special player-versus-player mode created just for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.
At the beginning of the match, players will enter a room exclusive to the match battle. Wave after wave of demons will begin to attack both players. When you defeat the demons, you will gain souls. Souls can be spent at the central statue (shop) to upgrade your weapons, armor or items.
You will be able to purchase attacks that will negatively affect your opponent. Fill their room with fog, reverse their controls and more! The winner is the player that survives the longest.
“Versus Mode” supports local and online play with friends or matchmaking with other players on the same platform. Please note that Chaos and Versus Modes do not support cross-platform play.
More details on each game mode will be revealed when they go live.
Premium and Free Cosmetic Packs
Version 1.5 also includes three premium (paid) cosmetic packs and one free pack for Miriam that will change her appearance in the game.
Each cosmetic pack has multiple unique clothing items and weapons, each with upgradeable stats. Premium Cosmetic Packs will be available for purchase on each platform’s online store.
Equipping a complete set of cosmetic pack items will enable a special stat bar for that specific pack.
Included with 1.5 is a free cosmetic pack for Miriam that will automatically be added to everyone’s inventory when it is released.
Premium downloadable content cosmetic pack assets will only download after purchase.
■ Premium Downloadable Content “Classic II: Dominique’s Curse”
Release Date

• To be announced
Contents
Following the 1.5 update, we will release “Classic Mode II,” a premium downloadable content game mode!
It brings the same retro-gameplay as “Classic Mode,” but with a bigger map and its own canon storyline!
“Classic Mode II” assets will only download after purchase.
More information on “Classic Mode II” will be provided when it is closer to release.
■ Kickstarter Rewards
“Chaos Mode” and “Versus Mode” are the final stretch goals for the game. Once these two modes are completed we will begin to work on the final physical reward remaining to be delivered: the physical PC version of the game.
PC physical tier backers received a digital code to play the game when it was first released in June 2019, but they still need to receive their final physical reward.
If there are any backers whose addresses has changed since the original backing registration, you will have to update your address through Fangamer’s survey portal. Please check your current address. If no update is sent, the assumption will be the address has not changed and the item will be shipped to the address on file. We will make announcements on Kickstarter before that deadline occurs.
Except for the physical PC version of the game, all other rewards have been shipped. If you believe you are missing a reward, you can contact Fangamer via the reward survey linked above.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Bloodstained was great. Unfortunately I played it on Switch so not the best experience regarding performance. But the game was fucking ace. Got the PS4-version instead so looking forward to dive in again properly with all this new content.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I will never play one bit of it. I beat the game, did most of the side stuff… to me this is a waste of effort.
Exactly. This game was mid at best. It’s so fucking ugly to boot.

Curse of the Moon 1&2 are amazing though. Just make a third one of those.

Just let it gooooo, all this wasted effort which could have gone towards a sequel, it's been almost 5 years, why is there still no sequel?

Bloodstained was pretty good, but also a bit of a dry run, especially late in the game feels rushed because of stretch goal type stuff, the graphics were also way inconsistent.

Now's the time to make a sequel that's better looking, more polished and cuts and the fat, I hate that it's been almost 5 years and still no sequel, instead they're STILL updating the original, just move on.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I genuinely don't understand the point. The game was fine. It was a competent Castlevania impression with a shockingly mediocre OST (given the pedigree), and the kickstarter backer portraits are still stupid. Please move on. Make a new game. Iterate! In the span of time that they've been wasting on this game, we got Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. Different times, sure, but move the fuck on.

NT80

I too am much more interested in a sequel. This game was ok but lacking the great art, music and atmosphere of the good CVs so a pretty average experience. Not sure I'd be bothered to play the game again for this.

John Bilbo

Kickstarter Rewards
“Chaos Mode” and “Versus Mode” are the final stretch goals for the game. Once these two modes are completed we will begin to work on the final physical reward remaining to be delivered: the physical PC version of the game.

Good for them for completing their promised work.

If I recall correctly they made an insane amount of money on Kickstarter for this game.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I understand that they have to give the people who funded the kickstarter what they wanted but I really hope they are focusing most of their efforts on a sequel.

Very fun game I got all achievements on the Steam version. But none of the DLC has made me want to go back to play it again. New areas might.

Anyways looking forward to the sequel.
Yup pretty much this. Played it, beat it, did like 90+% of collections and had my fill, great game, but haven’t seen any reason to revisit it over the years.

simpatico

Kickstarter patrons are holding this team back from just working on a sequel. I hope you guys are happy. "woah if I don't get every feature I'm owed for my $30, I'm going to have some stern things to say on twitter. arg" And ya just know if the netcode is not frame perfect, patches are gonna be demanded.

This game was the best metroidvania on home console in the better part of a decade, and we're sitting here working on co-op mode because of a pipe dream kickstarter promise. Some artists are beyond critique, and Koji Igarashi is one of them. The only thing anyone should say to him is "thank you".

night13x

Really loved this game - and hats off to the team for pretty much living up to their kickstarter promises. As we all know - a lot of times that isnt the case where promise stretch goals were never realized.

I see a lot of senseless bitching of "durr they need to stop working on this game and do a sequel".

They already are.

The smaller team working on the DLC is not the same team working on the sequel.

Have patience - it's coming. I think they are just avoiding their previous mistake of announcing the game (officially) too soon follow by a long wait and disgruntled customers.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Do we know whether they are going to use that 3D graphics style again or maybe some beautiful pixel art instead?

That's my only criticism of Bloodstained 1. It's kinda ugly.

My guess that it's going to be a considerably bigger game. There's no other info other than "it's in the works"

Ritual of The Night sales exceeded expectations

Last edited:

Paltheos

I genuinely don't understand the point. The game was fine. It was a competent Castlevania impression with a shockingly mediocre OST (given the pedigree), and the kickstarter backer portraits are still stupid. Please move on. Make a new game. Iterate! In the span of time that they've been wasting on this game, we got Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia. Different times, sure, but move the fuck on.

Pretty much my thoughts. And I thought the 3D was rough - Much would have preferred pixel.

Timespinner wasn't great either - with a marginally better campaign and a bizarre, post-apocalyptic abundance of LBGTQ+ and rough art/writing - but it lands the aesthetic well and the music is more Castlevania than the actual Castlevania sucessor's.

Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is fantastic, if short. Gorgeous pixel art, off-the-wall bonkers OST, great control.

Blasphmeous became a franchise in the time since Bloodstained came out.

Darkmakaimura

One of my favorite games and what I would probably consider one of the best games ever made is Symphony of the Night. So Bloodstained was kind of a big deal for me.

I played the game on Switch and had no issue with it. I thought it was a lot of fun but it was still no classic IGA Castlevania to me.

In some weird way, I kind of like the 8-Bit Bloodstained games more. Which is odd considering I preferably Metroidvania type of gameplay. I think it would actually be cool if they made an 8-bit Metroidvania Bloodstained game.

My only issue with the series is all the stupid crossovers. I love background lore and world building and I think it really takes away when the game is crossing over with every other indie game out there. Plus it really comes off as just trying to advertise all these other games that have nothing to do with Bloodstained.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Did those bastards ever fix the Switch performances?

I was/am so pissed that I picked that version for the kickstarter. Fuckers, it's the platform with the most sales, performance is terrible.

Darkmakaimura

I was/am so pissed that I picked that version for the kickstarter. Fuckers, it's the platform with the most sales, performance is terrible.
I've only ever played the Switch version but my post right above yours, I mentioned that I had no issue with the Switch version. At least none that I've noticed.

Last edited:
I don't get why this whole project needed to be Kickstarter to begin with, Iga really couldn't have just pitched "hey, I'd like to make a new game" to some company?

Is Kickstarter games even a thing at all anymore? Feels like a fad that's time has come and gone, the good news is at least it helped prove the viability of more niche things in gaming at a time when there was a perception only really mainstream friendly things could fly.

The OST was definitely disappointing, only one or two tracks would I consider a banger on the level with the past games OST, the rest got the job done but wasn't memorable.

It is crazy how much the world has slowed isn't it? You pointing out what we got in 5 years for Castlevania versus what we've got this last 5 years is a great example.

heck, the Kickstarter was almost a decade ago, feels like we should be on Bloodstained 3 by now, not 1 one game and a couple of spinoffs.

Do we know whether they are going to use that 3D graphics style again or maybe some beautiful pixel art instead?

That's my only criticism of Bloodstained 1. It's kinda ugly.
The graphics at times look pretty good, at times look kinda ugly, it depends on where you are in the map.

More time was probably spent on some areas than others.

Unreal Engine 4 doesn't seem to like the Switch for whatever reason.

Didn’t they announced a long time ago already that they are working on a sequel, why even spend resources in bringing new content to this game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Very fun game I got all achievements on the Steam version. But none of the DLC has made me want to go back to play it again. New areas might.

Anyways looking forward to the sequel.
The optional super boss in the main game was harder than IGA DLC boss was. It was fun, but not as hard.

The books that float around your head. I forgot what the shard was called, was OP.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's ironic that such a mediocre game is getting this much post-release support, and not only to fix bugs and other minor stuff.

I can't imagine who may still be interested in this new content, though. The only reason I may consider replaying ROTN is because it's on Game Pass... again.

digdug2

Didn’t they announced a long time ago already that they are working on a sequel, why even spend resources in bringing new content to this game.
I was thinking that they still owed stretch goal content to KickStarter backers, but no. The last stretch goal (Boss Revenge Mode) was delivered in the prior update. I have no idea why this update exists, maybe it's a final 'thank you' to the fans (even though the paid cosmetics feel more like a final 'fuck you').

This game was great if you were into Igavanias. However there are better indie metroidvanias out there who don't look nor run as bad as Bloodstained.

Top Bottom