• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloomberg] ‘Grand Theft Auto’ Maker Rockstar Games Asks Workers to Return to Office Five Days a Week

Bernardougf

Gold Member
No, its greed.

Companies have a vested interest in you being there because they are paying for the office space, can control you easier and can use this as an excuse to fire you. All of which saves them money.

wfh IS cheaper. For YOU. Companies don't give af about that. They want it to be cheaper for THEM.

The leaks argument is a scapegoat. There are way bigger companies that RS that have wfh and don't have major leaks. Thats on them just as much as it is that employee who was reckless with his assets.

Well if rockstar wasn't "greedy" they wouldn't be where they are and these people would not have jobs ..company greed is good when you have your salary money in your pocket but bad when you have to go to the office and work ? .... rockstar can be greedy as long as they operate inside the laws, is their company they can do whatever tf they like, is not slavery my man, quit and go work in home office for another company. But as long as Rockstar thinks is better for their business thats it, theres no arguments to be made. Its really something a bunch of nobodys like us pretending to know better than people that run a multimillionaire longtime successful business.

YCoCg

as long as they operate inside the laws
I mean, Rockstar isn't new to dodgy dealings, yeah it's technically legal, but with the help of Take-Two they've abused tax write off grants in various countries, in the UK they got £47 million from a grant that was meant for small developers and studios, etc.

Toons

Well if rockstar wasn't "greedy" they wouldn't be where they are and these people would not have jobs ..company greed is good when you have your salary money in your pocket but bad when you have to go to the office and work ? .... rockstar can be greedy as long as they operate inside the laws, is their company they can do whatever tf they like, is not slavery my man, quit and go work in home office for another company.

Holy cow, literally just defending them from any criticism without any critical thought whatsoever.

Yes they are a company and are supposed to make money. That doesnt mean unchecked greed and lack of emphasis on employer quality aren't factors well within their realm of control, and it also doesn't mean that performing poorly on those regards can't be scrutinized.

The employers need the employees, very very much. The employees having a net positive view of the employer snd working for them is good for every party involved.

That just one leak was so catastrophic, and that was just one employee on ACCIDENT, should be a signal to you and them the kind of influence employees can have on public perception of your brand and your product, ESPECIALLY with the technology and connectivity available today.

cormack12

Gold Member
Holy cow, literally just defending them from any criticism without any critical thought whatsoever.

Yes they are a company and are supposed to make money. That doesnt mean unchecked greed and lack of emphasis on employer quality aren't factors well within their realm of control, and it also doesn't mean that performing poorly on those regards can't be scrutinized.

The employers need the employees, very very much. The employees having a net positive view of the employer snd working for them is good for every party involved.

That just one leak was so catastrophic, and that was just one employee on ACCIDENT, should be a signal to you and them the kind of influence employees can have on public perception of your brand and your product, ESPECIALLY with the technology and connectivity available today.
What advantages are there in having your team work from an office? What do you personally see as tangible benefits from everyone being in an office, say 3 days a week?

Bojji

What advantages are there in having your team work from an office? What do you personally see as tangible benefits from everyone being in an office, say 3 days a week?

You should be asking those questions to RG, they clearly see reasons for this.

cormack12

Gold Member
You should be asking those questions to RG, they clearly see reasons for this.
No, I agree with the premise of office attendance, certainly hybrid at a minimum. I'm trying to understand if people can actually process the difference between individual productivity and team efficiency.

Freeman76

Because Covid gave people an excuse to be lazy. It was needed at the time, but 99% of people working from home, milk the clock (coming from someone who worked from home and had 550+ colleagues)…..and honestly, that’s why we are seeing a downturn of quality in the industry right now. Hopefully the shift back to offices will have a positive impact on the industry again.
What a load of nonsense

The industry is fucked through greed. Some amazing indie games were made from home.

What you and most others in this thread fail to realise, is if you are passionate and care about your job it doesnt matter where you do it from. A lazy mofo wont suddenly become 110% productive just because they get summoned to a building, if anything the opposite.

And 99% milk the clock? Again, utter bollocks

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
What a load of nonsense

The industry is fucked through greed. Some amazing indie games were made from home.

What you and most others in this thread fail to realise, is if you are passionate and care about your job it doesnt matter where you do it from. A lazy mofo wont suddenly become 110% productive just because they get summoned to a building, if anything the opposite.

And 99% milk the clock? Again, utter bollocks
You are assuming everyone likes their job, and again assuming when I say 99%, that I am only referring to the games industry in my post you replied to.

Last edited:

Toons

There CAN be a sense of team and comradery in a single office, bonds formed between employees. But that is something encouraged by the employer and how they nurture that environment it isn't I herent to the system.

A lot of the benefits can still he present in a WFM situation with a lot of added benefits.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'm trying to understand if people can actually process the difference between individual productivity and team efficiency.
Most people can't. Most importantly - most companies can't either. If they did - idiotic things like fully open-plan offices and 'flexible workplaces' wouldn't keep being perpetuated.

Sitting in the office now and can literally hear 2 girls having a long conversation about what jobs their boyfriends are doing, the latest Samsung mobile phones and hair dye. Not a single fucking thing to do with work and its been going on for the last 40 minutes.

Office productivity my ass.

Not to say that these two fuckwits would be less or more productive working from home but this illustrates my points I've made before in this thread and other threads regarding this arrangement. People can be less productive both ways.

Last edited:
3 days a week in office is acceptable. 5 is brutal this day and age in tech.

However - you are working on the biggest game in the history of videogames. This will be the peak of many peoples careers. Man the fuck up and get this shit nailed in the next 12 months. Then go back to hybrid working. I think that's fair.

Fair take. This is what im saying. For people with families hybrid works. I have people in my team with kids and they love the setup we currenlty have of 3 office days and 2 WFH. I don't have kids so for me i don't mind either way.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sitting in the office now and can literally hear 2 girls having a long conversation about what jobs their boyfriends are doing, the latest Samsung mobile phones and hair dye. Not a single fucking thing to do with work and its been going on for the last 40 minutes.

Office productivity my ass.

Not to say that these two fuckwits would be less or more productive working from home but this illustrates my points I've made before in this thread and other threads regarding this arrangement. People can be less productive both ways.
Nobody says office workers are always productive.

But what cant be debated is when youre at the office, you are there in person, you talk to people face to face like a human, and you cant be hidden at home when people need help. Its also a lot easier to train new people and show them who is who, instead of them having no idea who people are because wfh people never show up unless there's a free annual BBQ lunch, which amazingly everyone can figure out how to show up for that free burger, potato salad and coke.

Part of the job is not just someone's tasks, but also helping other people. And it's harder to help coworkers being faceless at home where they need to email or Teams call and hope they respond. At the office, you cant turn someone away and purposely get back to them 2 days later or say "Ooops... sorry man I missed your message". But a purely digital communication system like wfh emails and Teams, you can avoid people.

At the office, everyone works the same hours and you dont have to worry about waiting to speak to or be get a response from After Dinner Albert, who suddenly has one of those yellow status "Away for 3 hours" icons on his profile because he floats during the day and rearranged his schedule to work at 8 pm. Being at the office together at the same time, working the same hours, and being accessible is the total definition of team players and company workers working together.

Tip for all managers and CEOs trying to get people at the office: Just announce a few weeks before the company is going to host a free lunch day. Just watch as all the wfh people set aside their miserable commutes and anti-social behaviour not wanting to listen or hear employees show up to the office just like pre-covid and munch down plates of free pasta or chicken with the biggest smile on their face.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

But what cant be debated is when youre at the office, you are there in person, you talk to people face to face like a human, and you cant be hidden at home when people need help. Its also a lot easier to train new people and show them who is who, instead of them having no idea who people are because wfh people never show up unless there's a free annual BBQ lunch, which amazingly everyone can figure out how to show up for that free burger, potato salad and coke.

Part of the job is not just someone's tasks, but also helping other people. And it's harder to help coworkers being faceless at home where they need to email or Teams call and hope they respond. At the office, you cant turn someone away and purposely get back to them 2 days later or say "Ooops... sorry man I missed your message". But a purely digital communication system like wfh emails and Teams, you can avoid people.

At the office, everyone works the same hours and you dont have to worry about waiting to speak to or be get a response from After Dinner Albert, who suddenly has one of those yellow status "Away for 3 hours" icons on his profile because he floats during the day and rearranged his schedule to work at 8 pm. Being at the office together at the same time, working the same hours, and being accessible is the total definition of team players and company workers working together.

Tip for all managers and CEOs trying to get people at the office: Just announce a few weeks before the company is going to host a free lunch day. Just watch as all the wfh people set aside their miserable commutes and anti-social behaviour not wanting to listen or hear employees show up to the office just like pre-covid and munch down plates of free pasta or chicken with the biggest smile on their face.
Wrong.
My company has had plenty of free lunch social events and I’ve never gone one single time.
I’m still a great team player, still mentor others on the team, still get awards, etc… they can ping me whenever they want.
You can go looking for someone in the office but they’re not at their desk… they’re playing ping pong, or using the VR machine, or talking over in the break room.
You have to take personal responsibility for your actions and not blame where you are physically located.

Kindela

Banned

Disagree with everything said here. Maybe it's because the company I work with has been remote first since the start, but almost everyone responds to your messages immediately and are more than glad to huddle if you need some help.

Also about the free lunch. Couldn't be farther from the truth in my experience. People would either come because they felt obliged or they genuinely liked spending time at the office so a free lunch was just a bonus. The wfh folk were mostly introverts that didn't like spending more time than needed with their coworkers, and as such would reject the lunch gatherings.

On one hand I can't be shocked that people are required to go back to the office as it feels too entitled. You have a job, it's very well paid, tons of benefits most likely, going back to the office should be acceptable. On the other hand, I'd hate to be in that situation and would look for another job. So yeah, conflicted a bit.

GymWolf

Sorry but it dosent make sense, if home office gives you the same or better production and is cheaper (as pointed out in this thread).. therefore your company gets more money... so going back to offices cant be greed it can only be stupidity.
It's clear they don't have a logic answer other than muuuu big company is bad and like to make people miserable for no reason whatsoever.

Capitalism is all about making less money and being less profitable (if you believe half of this topic)

Last edited:

OuterLimits

It was during the pandemic lol.

It’s like people forgot that some businesses were running more efficiently and making record profits during that time.

It really depends on the job, but working remotely can be productive. The issues is the idiots who posted “day in the life” videos were they exposed themselves not doing work on company’s time which ruined it people that weren’t abusing the wfh situation.

The big businesses were definitely making record profits during the pandemic. Many small/medium sized businesses were being heavily impacted by draconian lockdowns/regulations while the giant corporations spending millions on lobbyists in D.C. became huge winners. One the biggest transfers of wealth in history.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Honestly, without knowing all the details, and watching some internet reaction, I think some people might have this wrong and maybe there is some of these that refuse to come back to work at the office and they were like go. The gravy train isn't going to last forever. If your employer says to come into work, that's what you have to do. This shouldn't be a hard issue.

On the other side, I'm not incredibly happy to see a larger bonus for the CEO while making cuts. I know there is something you're a business and surely there was some projects that probably weren't up to snuff but the layoffs don't bother me as much as the bonus for the CEO.

“You must return to the office 5 days a week doesn’t matter how great you are, and alsooooo some big lay-offs coming. So… Keep up the great work, y’all!”

-Take-Two management

Last edited:
Honestly, without knowing all the details, and watching some internet reaction, I think some people might have this wrong and maybe there is some of these that refuse to come back to work at the office and they were like go. The gravy train isn't going to last forever. If your employer says to come into work, that's what you have to do. This shouldn't be a hard issue.

On the other side, I'm not incredibly happy to see a larger bonus for the CEO while making cuts. I know there is something you're a business and surely there was some projects that probably weren't up to snuff but the layoffs don't bother me as much as the bonus for the CEO.
If you have to lay people off, then you shouldn’t be able to justify a bonus to C-suite executives or the CEO. You can’t have it both ways. Either your company is profitable & healthy, or it’s not. It’s ridiculous Zelnick or his board wouldn’t have to take some kind of financial hit, if the situation is such that 5% of your company must go. Completely unjustifiable.

It’s honestly borderline evil.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Work From Home does NOT work for every single job. A lot of people have this image that if your job is on the computer you can 100% work from home as efficiently as you could at the office.

It's much easier for someone to walk around the office and check up on progress than it is to message each and every person for an update on what they're doing. Especially since you get to see what they're doing IN PERSON and can potentially offer feedback in REAL time rather than waiting for a message back, then looking through it and then providing potential feedback.

Also, getting people together and having meetings is MUCH easier in person than waiting to see if everyone is concentrating during a Zoom/Teams meeting or are they playing games whilst pretending to pay attention to the meeting.

iHaunter

This stereotype shit needs to fucking die

People working from home are still accountable to the same metrics they were before

People that are at home watching Netflix are the same employees at work jerking off all day in the stalls

There’s no reason why many of these roles can’t be done at home even during crunch, with some time in the office for times of true collaboration that can’t be done efficiently at home
These people are just mad they can't work from home. Who the hell wants to waste money/gas just to get to the office to do the same shit you do from home... Some jobs need to be in the office. Many don't.

These people are just mad they can't work from home. Who the hell wants to waste money/gas just to get to the office to do the same shit you do from home... Some jobs need to be in the office. Many don't.
Yep. It honestly really does just depend. And also you can’t complain you can’t find anyone to work when you don’t allow WFH under reasonable conditions. A lot of the best talent out there wants/needs the flexibility. And if they’re doing their job then what’s the problem? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Exactly.

The real value is in saving an hour or more in round trip commute time. Not having to pay for gas, car maintenance, or other ancillary costs is just the cherry on top.

Z O N E

Yep. It honestly really does just depend. And also you can’t complain you can’t find anyone to work when you don’t allow WFH under reasonable conditions. A lot of the best talent out there wants/needs the flexibility. And if they’re doing their job then what’s the problem? 🤷‍♂️

The problem is, we've had developers literally admit that they play their consoles whilst in a Zoom/Teams meeting.

WFH does not work for every job.

bitbydeath

The problem is, we've had developers literally admit that they play their consoles whilst in a Zoom/Teams meeting.

WFH does not work for every job.
Are they doing that and completing their work though? WFH hours are longer than Office hours, due to saving time on commuting.

WFH has its perks but lack of exercise/movement from the desk is a bigger issue than some people who slack off.

Not returning to work wherever that may be actually has a devastating effect on neighbouring businesses most notably cafes and restaurants, fast food and shops. The workers aren't there to shop, go for lunch etc. So to everyone saying working from home is great hasn't really thought how it affects the economy.

nush

Who the hell wants to waste money/gas just to get to the office to do the same shit you do from home... Some jobs need to be in the office. Many don't.

Instead you can pay for all your additional utilities charges from working at home rather than the company pay for heating/air conditioning, electric, every toilet flush and pay for your own drinks.

BbMajor7th

Flexible working arrangements are now a way bigger draw than salaries. Mandating full-time office hours has the same impact as offering below-average salaries - you'll only get people who have no other choice, not people who actually want to be there. You're also limiting your talent pool to a local commutable area and making cross-timezone collaboration borderline impossible. If your business can hire on a remote/hybrid basis and you refuse, you're about as business savvy as the guy still making horse-drawn carriages in the age of the motorcar.

Not returning to work wherever that may be actually has a devastating effect on neighbouring businesses most notably cafes and restaurants, fast food and shops. The workers aren't there to shop, go for lunch etc. So to everyone saying working from home is great hasn't really thought how it affects the economy.

That's normal. Societal change will always shift the viability of business opportunities. They have done this for hundreds of years and will continue to do so. Arguing against certain societal shifts in favour of businesses that might lose out is entirely against the principles of market economies.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

much riskier to slack off at work than at home, no?

and i said slack off.
People go grab some coffee, talk to others in the hallway, get should-tapped and more.

It’s a myth that folks are much more productive in office consistently. It really depends on the job and particular tasks at the moment. Especially with the open floor spaces, it’s very hard to concentrate and all collab goes away since everybody is wearing noise cancelling headphones anyways and are on same Slack/Zoom/Teams as at home.

Again, things vary, so if you have a small team working on agile releases, it may help to get them into a conf room to bang out a milestone code. Or if you are doing collaborative architecture sessions.

Otherwise it’s potato/potatoe and generally about managers having someone to micromanage in person.

That said personally I think hybrid approach is the best. Because being in the office does offer a sense of belonging to the company, provides feeling of corporate “culture”, offers interaction and mentoring opportunities for juniors and so on.

Last edited:

JohnnyTropics

Neo Member
You can have whatever opinion you want on this issue, but the correct opinion to have is the one in which you don't have an opinion on where someone does their work.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Given the highly collaborative nature of the work, in-office is simply better. End of.

Most everyone is a specialist in one field or another, and face-to-face discussion is always more efficient due to fluidity and the ability to have nuance on issues that are often subjective and personal.

Its extremely self evident if you have industry experience why WFH is less desirable outside of rare situations where the entire organization is structured around it.

Flexible working arrangements are now a way bigger draw than salaries. Mandating full-time office hours has the same impact as offering below-average salaries - you'll only get people who have no other choice, not people who actually want to be there. You're also limiting your talent pool to a local commutable area and making cross-timezone collaboration borderline impossible. If your business can hire on a remote/hybrid basis and you refuse, you're about as business savvy as the guy still making horse-drawn carriages in the age of the motorcar.

That's normal. Societal change will always shift the viability of business opportunities. They have done this for hundreds of years and will continue to do so. Arguing against certain societal shifts in favour of businesses that might lose out is entirely against the principles of market economies.
As you can see more and more businesses are going back to their workplace and things are slowly going back to normal.

I run two small businesses and we were affected significantly but have been recovering over the last 2 years and this was largely down to businesses going back to the workplace.

Unless you've been hit by the economic effects of covid I'd suggest not making sweeping statements.

As you can see more and more businesses are going back to their workplace and things are slowly going back to normal.

I run two small businesses and we were affected significantly but have been recovering over the last 2 years and this was largely down to businesses going back to the workplace.

Unless you've been hit by the economic effects of covid I'd suggest not making sweeping statements.
It's entirely dependent on the industry you work in, whether working remotely is feasible or not. For strictly office staff where literally the entire job is Teams meetings and computer work, WFH has proven to be entirely feasible. And there is just no need at all to go back to pre-COVID ways, especially if people are doing their work and the business is operating fine. Four years is a long time.

For like, mail services, or foodservice, beverage service, or manufacturing, or custodial, or plumbing, transportation, contracting, etc, you would of course never be able to do those virtually or from home.

Last edited:
It's entirely dependent on the industry you work in, whether working remotely is feasible or not. For strictly office staff where literally the entire job is Teams meetings and computer work, WFH has proven to be entirely feasible. And there is just no need at all to go back to pre-COVID ways, especially if people are doing their work and the business is operating fine. Four years is a long time.

For like, mail services, or foodservice, beverage service, or manufacturing, or custodial, or plumbing, transportation, contracting, etc, you would of course never be able to do those virtually or from home.
Absolutely agree but to it must be remembered that one is affected by the other and obviously that's what I'm talking about.

In Rockstars case they've made the decision that returning back to the workplace is beneficial for the company and that must be respected. I'm not suggesting people put themselves at risk but let's not pretend that the majority are simply wanting to remain at home as its easier for them.

Every company has to be run as efficiently as possible and that's the cold hard reality.

Absolutely agree but to it must be remembered that one is affected by the other and obviously that's what I'm talking about.

In Rockstars case they've made the decision that returning back to the workplace is beneficial for the company and that must be respected. I'm not suggesting people put themselves at risk but let's not pretend that the majority are simply wanting to remain at home as its easier for them.

Every company has to be run as efficiently as possible and that's the cold hard reality.
I wonder if the C-suite executives or Zelnick are also following the RTO mandate as well?

Gotta practice what you preach, and culture flows down from the top. Again, if people have settled into a routine of WFH then expecting them to go back after 4 years would in some cases mean you’re gonna lose people, and otherwise cause friction and disrupt people’s lives. Which is a real factor. Especially if some of your best talent does just fine WFH and they’re gonna be the people you lose if you force a square peg into a round hole. The unintended consequences of the RTO mandate may not be worth it. But I think some companies are going to find that out the hard way.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

There CAN be a sense of team and comradery in a single office, bonds formed between employees. But that is something encouraged by the employer and how they nurture that environment it isn't I herent to the system.

A lot of the benefits can still he present in a WFM situation with a lot of added benefits.
Anecdotally, most every job I've ever worked at least, the people bond over their shared hatred of their employer rather than any shared sense of purpose.

BbMajor7th

Office workers don't owe you their custom. If they're no longer coming into the office five days a week, the impact on your business is not theirs to worry about. If your business is no longer viable because conditions change, you have my sympathy, but that's exactly how a free market economy functions. History is littered with millions of thriving businesses that folded when there was no longer a demand for what they offered. That's the reality and my circumstances don't change that at all.

Top Bottom