• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blow out the cobwebs, it is the Bioware Thread

Obligatory and soon if they fail the big two games they're working on rn.

papea-kills-off-developers

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Btw, how are the enhanced editions of the Baldur's Gate games? Never got to finish any of the two, even after putting many ours into them, but I wouldn't mind trying again.

Last edited:
The Dragon Age games seem interesting, even if they get dunked on from time to time. Which one is a good one to jump into, if you never played the series and don't care about continuity?

Krathoon

The EE of Baulder's Gate 1 changed the interface and cutscenes. I don't like it at much. There is a mod that puts the original cutscenes back in.

You get the original games with the EEs on gog. It is kind of buried on the website.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The Dragon Age games seem interesting, even if they get dunked on from time to time. Which one is a good one to jump into, if you never played the series and don't care about continuity?
For me, the first one (Origins) is the better one.

It's the only one I've finished and I thought it was an amazing game. Feels like a proper evolution of the cRPG without lots of dumbing down, which is what happened with the sequel, which focused too much on action.

Inquisition is fun too, but it's sidequests suck since they are more akin to an MMO rather than a proper RPG.

For me, the first one (Origins) is the better one.

It's the only one I've finished and I thought it was an amazing game. Feels like a proper evolution of the cRPG without lots of dumbing down, which is what happened with the sequel, which focused too much on action.

Inquisition is fun too, but it's sidequests suck since they are more akin to an MMO rather than a proper RPG.
Origins itself was a dumbing down of the genre. I'm surprised you couldn't see that given that you have allegedly played bits of Baldur's Gate.

TintoConCasera

Origins itself was a dumbing down of the genre. I'm surprised you couldn't see that given that you have allegedly played bits of Baldur's Gate.
Just a bit if you ask me. The dumbing become much worse in the next entries.

Haven't played Origins since it came out tho, so that aspect might be worse than I remember.

Gandih42

I would definitely have preferred it less streamlined than it turned out, but I think in terms of a wide release it landed in a really good place that brought in both the more hardcore cRPG crowd and people looking for a light cRPG. Was completely turned off by the second game from the first trailers though, looked like they completely gave up any pretenses of being a cRPG.

Krathoon

What annoyed me about Dragon Age 2 is that they really recycled the assets. They pulled that with Mass Effect 1 as well.

AFAIK, the only good one is Origins. I thought Inquisition started ok, but ended up being one of the most boring RPGs I've ever played.

Krathoon

The PC version of Jade Empire has extra content and the content from the XBox special edition. For some reason, the staff is different, but it doesn't matter.
I would say it is the definitive version. It is on gog.
There is a mod that A.I. upscaled the video cutscenes.

Krathoon

I dug out my finished playthrough save of Dragon Age Origins. I am going to playthrough the DLC.
I wanted to play Witch Hunt. I romanced Morrigan.

Krathoon

Jade Empire is magic Chinese land. I think it is set on a whole different planet, but it plays off of stuff from world history.

Krathoon

Yeesh. The Dragonspear expansion caused so much controversy the developers made some edits to the game.

From Wikipedia:
"On an April 2016 post discussing both technical and content issues, Beamdog announced they would be removing the Gamergate joke and expanding Mizhena's story, saying in part, "In retrospect, it would have been better served if we had introduced a transgender character with more development."[20] To this effect, the 2.5 patch added a new quest, given by Mizhena; the dialogue tree where Mizhena indicate being a trans woman is now after the player has completed the quest, rather than the first time the player meets Mizhena.[21] Paul Tumburro of CraveOnline termed this as "spineless and disappointing" stating that Beamdog's founder Trent Oster refused to acknowledge the transphobic criticisms leveled at the game.[22]"

Top Bottom