• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint: "Still working on original title"

Varteras

Gold Member

Peter Dalton is Head of Technology at Bluepoint. When asked just yesterday about Bluepoint's next project he responded that "Nothing has changed". That they are, "Still working on an original title".

This should clear up a somewhat contentious topic some on the forum have debated. With some insisting that Bluepoint was not working on something new. That they were merely helping with God of War: Ragnarok.

More specifically, the Valhalla DLC that they claim was the "original" content. This claim was further reinforced by Sony's recent investor slide, showing Bluepoint as a "Partner" studio. Seemingly confirming that they had largely been relegated as a support team.

Dalton insists, "Everything takes time". He also says that the team is just "sharpening their skills". This isn't a strange concept that they're settling in. Bluepoint has only ever made one original game. They have ever since, and for many years, been a studio that does remasters and light remakes.

This should clear up the confusion and reaffirm that Bluepoint is indeed working on their own game. Seeing as how it's been nearly 4 years since the Demon's Souls remake, I wouldn't be surprised to at least get a tease sometime within the next 12 months.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
They really to be more clear, I have no doubt that they're somewhat working on an original project, and slowly hiring designers and all, but that will take A LOT of time, and yet you have people believing that Bluepoint could have a project ready to be released soon.

Varteras

Gold Member
They really to be more clear, I have no doubt that they're somewhat working on an original project, and slowly hiring designers and all, but that will take A LOT of time, and yet you have people believing that Bluepoint could have a project ready to be released soon.

The thing is, we really don't know how long anything has actually taken them. How long they've been on the project. How big their studio is. How much they actually contributed to Ragnarok. Looking at Activision studios that worked as support teams while making their own games, nothing says Bluepoint hasn't been working on this since their last release and that they aren't already well along. We just don't know. But if they refuse to bring more clarity than this, people are free to believe as they wish and it would be silly for one to say, "I'm right" unless they have actual knowledge.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

nial

Gold Member
The thing is, we really don't know how long anything has actually taken them. How long they've been on the project. How big their studio is.
We do have a good idea after Demon's Souls and God of War Ragnarok.
How much they actually contributed to Ragnarok.
Well...
In comparison, this was their role in God of War Ragnarok.
The thing with Bluepoint is that they mainly consist of artists and engineers, there are so few actual designers on their team that it's not really feasible for them to develop a new game by their own. Heck, their attributions to SOTC/DS remakes still had to be done under the direction of WWS Japan Studio PDD/IDD.
I just think people are expecting too much from Bluepoint, which must be why SIE went on to lower expectations by including them into the support studios category.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
4 years is too long not to show anything. 3.5 to be exact. especially when they remade Demon Souls in just 2.5 years.

if its taking this long then they dont deserve to be making a new game. plain and simple. Costs have risen to insane levels because devs think they can all take 5-7 years to make a single game. Listen to shawn layden and make a smaller title that doesnt take an entire generation to build.

Varteras

Gold Member
We do have a good idea after Demon's Souls and God of War Ragnarok.

Well...

The thing with Bluepoint is that they mainly consist of artists and engineers, there are so few actual designers on their team that it's not really feasible for them to develop a new game by their own. Heck, their attributions to SOTC/DS remakes still had to be done under the direction of WWS Japan Studio PDD/IDD.
I just think people are expecting too much from Bluepoint, which must be why SIE went on to lower expectations by including them into the support studios category.
They did prior to acquisition. Like I said, we have no idea how much they expanded since. We also don't know the scope of their project. For all we know, it's not even a big budget title. Could very easily be smaller than Miles Morales in scope.

Personally, I don't expect even a tease soon. And, it's a safe bet that whatever it is won't be dropping this year. Fair chance it isn't next year, either. But there is no reason to insist to anyone that A: no game from them is coming, which I've seen stated in various places over the last year or so, and B: that no game is dropping within the next couple years. Because we just don't have enough information to say that. Considering all the variables that could be true.

4 years is too long not to show anything. 3.5 to be exact. especially when they remade Demon Souls in just 2.5 years.

if its taking this long then they dont deserve to be making a new game. plain and simple. Costs have risen to insane levels because devs think they can all take 5-7 years to make a single game. Listen to shawn layden and make a smaller title that doesnt take an entire generation to build.
Still can't wrap my head around the 5-7 year production time, regardless I still feel we should have had an announcement reveal already from BP, ND, Bend and SP. They're taking suspiciously long.

They’ve never done their own game and you expect them to do so in the same amount of time as an AAA studio that’s been doing it for years?

They are probably working with a small team to get the game nailed down before moving onto production; in the meantime, their other employees are helping outside projects

nial

Gold Member
But there is no reason to insist to anyone that A: no game from them is coming, which I've seen stated in various places over the last year or so
That was honestly just yurinka yurinka , and I actually agree with his points, but I do believe that they will make something by their own at some point.

Varteras

Gold Member
Still can't wrap my head around the 5-7 year production time, regardless I still feel we should have had an announcement reveal already from BP, ND, Bend and SP. They're taking suspiciously long.

With Bluepoint, as nial nial pointed out, when they were acquired they were largely just an art and engineering team. They didn't have much in the way of a team that would be necessary to create something from scratch. So, if it's a brand new project, and depending on the scope, whatever the timelines normally are for an estabslished developer of original content, it could take Bluepoint much longer in comparison. Hiring the people, getting everyone acclimated, figuring out what they want to make, etc. There's a ramp-up period there that would almost certainly be extended on account of them never having done this since their very first game many moons ago. Depending on what it is, 6 or 7 years is more likely than you might think. It took Arrowhead 8 years to make Helldivers 2.

jm89

Hopefully we seem something from bluepoint in the showcase this year.....

I won't hold my breath for anything i wrote above.

Varteras

Gold Member
Hopefully we seem something from bluepoint in the showcase this year.....

I won't hold my breath for anything i wrote above.

No no. Please. Hold that breath of yours. Don't you dare breathe until it happens. Show your devotion.

The Grinch Smile GIF by Peacock

Negotiator101

Gold Member
Who believes that? What are we expecting a shadow drop?

GermanZepp

Gold Member
Sony should just say " we dont have first party games planed for PS5, wait till PS6"
The worst thing (besides the waiting time) is that PS6 is gonna have a shit ton of crossgen games, it's gonna be the same all over again. Last week i was checking PSN and 95% games all PS4 or PS4/PS5. Very lame.

Švejk

They did fantastic with their Remasters & Remakes... but being under Sony's wing, I'm more cautiously optimistic for what they'll be required to shoehorn in.

I'm sure they're happy to be working on their own thing, but given it was announced several years ago and nothing has been shown - I'm well past the point of caring. Go back to remastering games.

JaksGhost

I'm sure they're happy to be working on their own thing, but given it was announced several years ago and nothing has been shown - I'm well past the point of caring. Go back to remastering games.
It hasn't been a full 3 years since they were acquired and 4 since the release of Demon's Souls for the PS5 launch. "Go back to remastering games" as if they were cranking them out annually anyway.

It hasn't been a full 3 years since they were acquired and 4 since the release of Demon's Souls for the PS5 launch. "Go back to remastering games" as if they were cranking them out annually anyway.

Well, yeah. In around a decade we had God of War Collection, The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, Gravity Rush Remastered, Shadow of the Colossus, and Demon's Souls, as well as some Vita ports Like PlayStation All-Stars.

What have we had since Demons Souls in nearly 4 years? Nothing. Not even a breadcrumb outside of support work on Ragnarok. Could have had another remaster or two instead. Could've had Bloodborne even 🤷‍♂️

Who believes that? What are we expecting a shadow drop?
No. They are going to make a full online event out of this. The way they used AstroBot (from a cheap AA developer) to hype an empty and uninteresting state of play event made of super expensive and bland CGI trailers / games. At this point their GAAS shit isn't impressing anyone so they need actual Single Player quality but cheap crumbs for that purpose: generating actual excitement over Playstation games.

Killer8

Hopefully it gets cancelled and they go back to doing remakes. It's not in their wheelhouse to do original content.

Varteras

Gold Member
ImZfHiN.jpeg

This was last year that this slide was presented. Note that Bluepoint was listed, in 2023, as part of a future growth pillar for IP. Along with Firesprite, Housemarque, and Valkyrie.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

Hopefully it gets cancelled and they go back to doing remakes. It's not in their wheelhouse to do original content.

100% thoughts exactly. And the fact that we have not seen anything yet(been almost 5 years) is not a good sign. I know how long these games take to make but I hope they're not cooking up a dud

Last edited:
Top Bottom