• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint: "Still working on original title"

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Its gonna be some shit like Returnal
d2eff823-e4d1-4e2d-8306-a20e6a212aef_text.gif

yurinka

You guys are going to have to ignore yurinka BIG time on this one, I have no clue why he has sooooo much invested in this, I have no clue where this ego is coming from.

Not only has the team stated this several times, one of the times they said they will reveal it later, God Of Wars already a revealed game....

God Of War has already released, for them to tweet this clearly shows they were not talking about God Of War support as not only was that known publicly, why would they make such statements about simply assisting a team on an existing IP?

I'm starting to think, Blue Point games can literally say to yurinka's face that they are doing a new IP, their own game, it will be something different, brand new and he'll be like
"Ok, new can mean many things, like new to entry" - yurinka

"No, we mean new IP" - Blue Point

"Ok, they could mean new to the series, of an existing IP, that is an established IP, like God Of War 2018 is a bit different then the other games, like its with Viki-" - yurinka

"No we mean NEW IP, new universe, new everything" Blue Point

"Ok, are you saying new or "knew" like you knew it existed and wanted to make a new entry and maybe you misspoke" - yurinka' lol

I'm just messing with you yurinka yurinka lol, but you have to see how crazy this is when the team is literally stating this again. Sooooooooo yea, clearly they are not talking about God Of War support as the game has already released
If they ever say they are leading their own game -or new IP- I'll accept it as a fact. But that never happened until now, the fact right now is that they absolutely never said so even if you insist without providing any source to back your claims other than what comes out from your ass.

What they said instead is that after Demon's Souls they moved away from remasters or remakes to work instead on original content/game/titles (meaning that the "rumor" saying they were working on Bloodborne Remaster/Remake was a fake).

But not leading their own game, we saw they are now a support codevelopment team first in GoWR. We saw Sony labeling them a few days ago as "partner" studio and grouping them with the Nixxes and Valkyries support studios instead of with the studios who lead the different types of new games.

They don't have enough people in certain roles to lead their own AAA/AA game: you can also go to their LinkedIn page to see that out of their 75 workers they don't have any game director, any creative director, any writer, any producer to handle outsourcing (they only have 4 producers btw), and that their design team has only 4 people: a single game designer, a couple of level designers and a single combat designer. You'll see they only have ten coders including their head of technology.

Their dev team are basically artists (over 40 of them) and a tiny skeleton in the other areas, good for being a remakes or support team but not enough for leading their own game and even less a new IP.

And this is after having growth: you can see in the linkedin or in GoWR credits most of their devs worked there, with a few exceptions that were hired after it. As an example, 3 Bluepoint designers worked in GoWR:
  • Howard Tang: continues there as Bluepoint's Lead Game Designer
  • Alex Gold: left Bluepoint and moved to Retro Studios last year
  • Gabriel Amadeo: his first game as designer, was a QA tester in Demon's Souls
These were all the ones they had. After GoW hired 2 designers more:
  • Adam Puhl: lead combat designer hired January 2024 (worked in Blizzard, SSM or Midway before)
  • Casey Holtz: Level designer hired August 2023 (worked in Sanzaru, Ember Lab, Illfonic before)
We know they are a support team and that work in original games. So their next game to be released must be a new game leaded by somebody else (as could be SSM, ND, FromSoft...) with Bluepoint codeveloping in a support role. Not a remaster/remake and not a new game leaded by them.

Didn't the Insomniac leak also contain concept art that Bluepoint was working on? Which showed an Egyptian-looking structure on a floating island, with two characters looking at it? One who suspiciously looks like a slightly older and bigger Atreus from behind?
In that Bluepoint page of the document instead of listing names or codenames for their projects it said "original content", and didn't show any budget for the outsourcing section.

The Guerrilla page instead had the codename of a project and listed their budget for outsourcing. Instead of an artwork, Guerrilla had a photo of their new office that they shared at that time on their website.

So it could be just a random concept art, rejected GoWR concept art or concept art for the next project where they may be playing a support role.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I’m 99% sure it’s an Atreus game.

Which makes me very sad. But it is what is.

The only dev that will have freedom for single player new IPs at this point is Housemarque. They’ll be the black sheep of Sony.

At least that.
Naughty Dog and SIE Santa Monica Studio are working on new IPs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If they ever say they are leading their own game -or new IP- I'll accept it as a fact. But that never happened until now, the fact right now is that they absolutely never said so even if you insist without providing any source to back your claims other than what comes out from your ass.

What they said instead is that after Demon's Souls they moved away from remasters or remakes to work instead on original content/game/titles (meaning that the "rumor" saying they were working on Bloodborne Remaster/Remake was a fake).

But not leading their own game, we saw they are now a support codevelopment team first in GoWR. We saw Sony labeling them a few days ago as "partner" studio and grouping them with the Nixxes and Valkyries support studios instead of with the studios who lead the different types of new games.

They don't have enough people in certain roles to lead their own AAA/AA game: you can also go to their LinkedIn page to see that out of their 75 workers they don't have any game director, any creative director, any writer, any producer to handle outsourcing (they only have 4 producers btw), and that their design team has only 4 people: a single game designer, a couple of level designers and a single combat designer. You'll see they only have ten coders including their head of technology.

Their dev team are basically artists (over 40 of them) and a tiny skeleton in the other areas, good for being a remakes or support team but not enough for leading their own game and even less a new IP.

And this is after having growth: you can see in the linkedin or in GoWR credits most of their devs worked there, with a few exceptions that were hired after it. As an example, 3 Bluepoint designers worked in GoWR:
  • Howard Tang: continues there as Bluepoint's Lead Game Designer
  • Alex Gold: left Bluepoint and moved to Retro Studios last year
  • Gabriel Amadeo: his first game as designer, was a QA tester in Demon's Souls
These were all the ones they had. After GoW hired 2 designers more:
  • Adam Puhl: lead combat designer hired January 2024 (worked in Blizzard, SSM or Midway before)
  • Casey Holtz: Level designer hired August 2023 (worked in Sanzaru, Ember Lab, Illfonic before)
We know they are a support team and that work in original games. So their next game to be released must be a new game leaded by somebody else (as could be SSM, ND, FromSoft...) with Bluepoint codeveloping in a support role. Not a remaster/remake and not a new game leaded by them.
SSM's rumored sci-fi game or a Loki goes to Egypt spinoff.

Both are "original titles."

You guys are going to have to ignore yurinka BIG time on this one, I have no clue why he has sooooo much invested in this, I have no clue where this ego is coming from.

Not only has the team stated this several times, one of the times they said they will reveal it later, God Of Wars already a revealed game....

God Of War has already released, for them to tweet this clearly shows they were not talking about God Of War support as not only was that known publicly, why would they make such statements about simply assisting a team on an existing IP?

I'm starting to think, Blue Point games can literally say to yurinka's face that they are doing a new IP, their own game, it will be something different, brand new and he'll be like
"Ok, new can mean many things, like new to entry" - yurinka

"No, we mean new IP" - Blue Point

"Ok, they could mean new to the series, of an existing IP, that is an established IP, like God Of War 2018 is a bit different then the other games, like its with Viki-" - yurinka

"No we mean NEW IP, new universe, new everything" Blue Point

"Ok, are you saying new or "knew" like you knew it existed and wanted to make a new entry and maybe you misspoke" - yurinka' lol

I'm just messing with you yurinka yurinka lol, but you have to see how crazy this is when the team is literally stating this again. Sooooooooo yea, clearly they are not talking about God Of War support as the game has already released

Yurinka has a major comprehension issue. Reads things, gets their own idea and runs with it.

I just called him out for this earlier in the week and absolutely nothing is changing with him.

yurinka

SSM's rumored sci-fi game or a Loki goes to Egypt spinoff.

Both are "original titles."
Sony trademarked Intergallactic: The Heretic Prophet back in February. Which looking at other games means they could announce it around this fall and release it up to around a year or so later.

That timing could match with Cory's new IP, assuming it was greenlighted back in H2 2018/ H1 2019 and that SSM has been working on it all that time. Bluepoint could be supporting this game after they completed their job in GoWR.

SSM said that there won't be more games for the Norse saga (including spinoffs) and that their next GoW Kratos will travel to a new place to meet a new mythology.

In both cases is a new game, so "original content" / "original game" / "original title".

Regarding what's going to be the next mythology, who knows. There are several ones they hinted (being the main ones Egypt, Japanese, Aztec, Celtic), and before moving to the Norse they were going to use Egypt but rejected it.

I'd say the dark skinned girl may be the stronger hint: she could be Indian or Egypt, both mythologies -like a ton of other ones- feature giants. Maybe she and/or Atreus get in trouble with the local gods and Kratos -conveniently visiting them- revenges them or something like that.

Maybe the SSM list of game directors can give us a hint:
  • Bruno Velazquez (Valhalla co-director) - Maybe was busy with Valhalla and doesn't work in this next GoW and maybe moved to something else after Valhalla. Being hispanic, maybe could support to add some Mayan/Aztec GoW stuff?
  • Ariel Lawrence: Promoted from lead writer to game director in April 2022. Came back to SSM in Jul 21 after being 6 years at Riot. Was narrative lead or narrative/cutscene producer. Maybe gives a more cinematic/narrative/story driven approach? Maybe directs the new IP?
  • Mihir Sheth (Valhalla co-director): Promoted from lead combat designer to game director back in May 2022. Has arab emirates origins. Maybe GoW in Egypt?
  • Eric Williams (GoWR director): I assume he may direct something after GoWR but maybe not now because they have many directors.
  • Cory Barlog (GoW 2 and GoW2018): Moved to become the creative director of all the projects of the studio, so maybe he doesn't direct any game.

This is the complete list of game directors at Bluepoint:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Intergallactic: The Heretic Prophet
This name still sounds weird to me. Unless they are planning on 'Intergalactic' being a series with different post titles after it (like a trilogy of sorts).

Intergallactic: The Ark Builders
Intergallactic: Armageddon

Etc..

It could also still be in the same vein as "Savage Starlight" if it is indeed AAA.

yurinka

This name still sounds weird to me. Unless they are planning on 'Intergalactic' being a series with different post titles after it (like a trilogy of sorts).

Intergallactic: The Ark Builders
Intergallactic: Armageddon

Etc..

It could also still be in the same vein as "Savage Starlight" if it is indeed AAA.
Intergallactic: Super Knack Three some xDD

Now seriously: yes, I assume the subtitle is to release sequels changing the subtitle instead of adding 2, 3 etc.

This is what Ubisoft does with Assassin's Creed, and what SSM started to do with GoW some time ago (Ragnarok, Ascension, etc).

I assume the reason is to improve sales of older games between the average casual player who isn't informed about the series and could buy a game from a series he isn't familiar with, not being intimidated by thinking "oh, I have to play instead thes other games before".

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

They don't have enough people in certain roles to lead their own AAA/AA game

Yea..soooo none of that fucking matters.

1. Sony can label them anything, that would not suddenly make a game appear or go away or anything like that and would never go against the developer themselves literally saying they are working on an original game, why you'd go based on this is odd and sound like you are just trying your best to refute the most obvious comments about them making their own game.

2. This whole "they don't have enough people" sir, you don't even know what stage they are at in that game, you don't even know if it will be a AAA title or a AA title.

So........yea.

I think its best to just go with what the actual damn developer is literally telling you lol

they don't have any game director, any creative director, any writer
That you know of bud, for you all know they are in the process of creating that game where those individuals have not been revealed to the public yet, you need to factor that 100% of all that are involved in this project will not just be documented RIGHT NOW ,cause using this logic, you'd be able to reveal basically every major game that is being made by anyone before reveal or something.

So all this means is they have not listed them on purpose and its merely unknown to you.

So...right now, you using your exact fucking logic, Bluepoint games is lying to the public and Sony about making an original game, cause you are not going against just me or anyone else on here, you are directly arguing against the very people making these fucking statements, unless you know more then Bluepoint games regarding their own damn studio, I'd suggest you leave it to Bluepoint games on whats going on with their own studio.

I'm willing to speculate and debate many things, however, I have to draw the line when the very studio making something, is now being doubted based on their own statements about making a game.

That sounds like an odd debate. The only way this even makes sense is if you are telling me they are lying about this, fraud, scamming Sony or something weird like that.

Varteras

Gold Member

1. Sony can label them anything, that would not suddenly make a game appear or go away or anything like that and would never go against the developer themselves literally saying they are working on an original game, why you'd go based on this is odd and sound like you are just trying your best to refute the most obvious comments about them making their own game.

2. This whole "they don't have enough people" sir, you don't even know what stage they are at in that game, you don't even know if it will be a AAA title or a AA title.

So........yea.

I think its best to just go with what the actual damn developer is literally telling you lol

That you know of bud, for you all know they are in the process of creating that game where those individuals have not been revealed to the public yet, you need to factor that 100% of all that are involved in this project will not just be documented RIGHT NOW ,cause using this logic, you'd be able to reveal basically every major game that is being made by anyone before reveal or something.

So all this means is they have not listed them on purpose and its merely unknown to you.

So...right now, you using your exact fucking logic, Bluepoint games is lying to the public and Sony about making an original game, cause you are not going against just me or anyone else on here, you are directly arguing against the very people making these fucking statements, unless you know more then Bluepoint games regarding their own damn studio, I'd suggest you leave it to Bluepoint games on whats going on with their own studio.

I'm willing to speculate and debate many things, however, I have to draw the line when the very studio making something, is now being doubted based on their own statements about making a game.

That sounds like an odd debate. The only way this even makes sense is if you are telling me they are lying about this, fraud, scamming Sony or something weird like that.

We know their design team expanded from one person for Demon's Souls, to three people when they helped on Ragnarok. They have AT LEAST four now, including their new, or relatively new, senior level designer who worked as senior game designer on Kena for 3 years.

So even with just those four designers, and with no idea how many others or what roles (10 more people at minimum as of 2023), they could easily have what they need to get things rolling. They can fill in the gaps as they go. Hiring. Outsourcing. Partner assistance.

Housemarque had 90 people when they completed Returnal. Why would 80 people at Bluepoint not be enough? They could be at 85 or 90 now, for all we know. With the right people.

I don't get the insistence that they apparently need 120 to 150 people in house to get started, no matter what the scope is. And, that they apparently need to announce this or else no one is allowed to take what they're saying at face value.

Hell, people change roles or take on multiple as well. It's silly to base an entire argument against the idea on credits from support work for a game that came out two years ago. As if nothing changed.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Housemarque had 90 people when they completed Returnal. Why would 80 people at Bluepoint not be enough? They could be at 85 or 90 now, for all we know. With the right people.

Agreed.

Because we do not know what stage they are at, they could still be in those early stages and simply hire and outsource more as the game moves along or something, also because we don't even know the type of game they are making, they may have enough now, they may outsource more later or something.

Varteras

Gold Member
Agreed.

Because we do not know what stage they are at, they could still be in those early stages and simply hire and outsource more as the game moves along or something, also because we don't even know the type of game they are making, they may have enough now, they may outsource more later or something.

Personally, I'm of the belief that they have another 6 months to a year before they begin full production anyways. That's even more time to hire and fill gaps. I think, assuming it's a smaller scope kind of game, we don't see a game from then for another 3 years.

They may even just take their time and drop it as a PS6 launch title in 2028. Mirroring Miles Morales as a lower scale launch game. Sony clearly doesn't mind waiting and paying that long for a project they believe in. They did it with Helldivers 2.

Wouldn't surprise me if Bluepoint is even helping with something else while they build up.

yurinka

So........yea.

Bluepoint doesn't have any game director, creative director or writer. Only 4 designers, being like half of them specilized on something specific. Only 4 producers, non of them to handle outsourcing teams that would work for them if they'd be a lead dev team. They can't lead a AAA game with that, they can't even start it.

In their linkedin page say they are 70+ people and have listed 75 people on their LinkedIn, meaning everyone (maybe there's 1 or 2 people as exception) on their studio is listed in their Linkedin. It's basically their GoWR team adding a few hirings they did later and removing a few people who left. They don't have hidden team members.

Most or them are artists. They have a team that first for a remaster/remakes/support team, not to lead a AAA title. All the facts we have coming from Sony and Bluepoint point to them being working as a support team on an original/new team again, as they did in GoWR. There's not a single one that says they are leading their own game now, and we have many that say they are a support team.

No, my logic is what all Sony and Bluepoint said is true, and that the GoWR credits and LinkedIn are true.

Absolutely never anyone from Sony or Bluepoint ever said they have been leading their own new game after Demon's Souls. They said to be working on original/new content/title/game, which is compatible with working as support team (as it was when they said it while working as support team on GoWR) and doesn't imply to be the lead team of the game. It just means they aren't working in a remaster or remake.

The team we see they have in the GoWR credits and their LinkedIn isn't enough to lead their own game. Sony recently labeled them as partner/support team and one of them said to be working on an original game.

So all the facts point that they are working in an original game as a support team again after GoWR. With some other studio handling the game direction, creative direction, handling the rest of support teams, main game design and story, etc.

If you think there is a single fact from a legit source that proves that all this is wrong and that they are leading their own game feel free to share it, I'll gladly accept it and take an L. But I searched it for years and doesn't exist, there's no debate here.

Last edited:

yurinka

Because Housemarque has the game director, creative directors, enough designers, producers, etc. needed to lead their own AAA game. They have a team built to lead their own games.

Bluepoint is a team of mostly artists with no game director, creative director and not enough designers, producers, etc. to lead their own AAA team. They have a team built to remaster/remake/support games instead.

Also, notice in which group Sony listed Housemarque and Bluepoint:
image.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom