• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint: "Still working on original title"

March Climber

Gold Member
Hopefully it gets cancelled and they go back to doing remakes. It's not in their wheelhouse to do original content.
You want it to be cancelled because you want more remakes.

I want it to be cancelled because I don’t want them to end up suffering the same fate as Ready At Dawn when finally releasing their own original AAA I.P. and it doesn’t perform good enough sales-wise.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
iuYUdre.jpeg

tommib

Gold Member
Hopefully it gets cancelled and they go back to doing remakes. It's not in their wheelhouse to do original content.
I think a lot of devs there are coming from Retro Studios. Not sure if the more creative designers, of course.

Varteras

Gold Member
The last game they put out came out 4 years ago .. so we're just about getting there.

New IP from a studio that does remasters and remakes when we can't even get sequels faster than 5 years from teams doing that for a long time. I'd say it's to be expected.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
We'll be lucky if it doesn't get canceled. The way things have been.
Well, we know shit about it at this point, but I find it hard to believe that Sony will cancel a thing BP is doing, after what they did for the company for so many years.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
No. They are going to make a full online event out of this. The way they used AstroBot (from a cheap AA developer) to hype an empty and uninteresting state of play event made of super expensive and bland CGI trailers / games. At this point their GAAS shit isn't impressing anyone so they need actual Single Player quality but cheap crumbs for that purpose: generating actual excitement over Playstation games.

Astrobot and Phantom Blade Zero have better gameplay than everything shown in the other events and its not even close.

mdkirby

My guess is this'll be released arse end of 2026...given Sony seem to be not announcing stuff until pretty damn close to release, we prob aren't hearing about this for another 18months...hopefully im wrong

semiconscious

Gold Member
4 years is too long not to show anything. 3.5 to be exact. especially when they remade Demon Souls in just 2.5 years.

if its taking this long then they dont deserve to be making a new game. plain and simple. Costs have risen to insane levels because devs think they can all take 5-7 years to make a single game. Listen to shawn layden and make a smaller title that doesnt take an entire generation to build.
yep...

if you're in the business of releasing a new console every 7 years, & you're also employing several developers who each release a new game every 5 years? then you're existing within a somewhat precarious business model...

Last edited:
4 years is too long not to show anything. 3.5 to be exact. especially when they remade Demon Souls in just 2.5 years.

if its taking this long then they dont deserve to be making a new game. plain and simple. Costs have risen to insane levels because devs think they can all take 5-7 years to make a single game. Listen to shawn layden and make a smaller title that doesnt take an entire generation to build.
This is the Nintendo / japanese way of doing good games: a small AA team taking its time. Again, they are a small team and they are costing peanuts to Sony compared to their big AAA teams. They didn't show Demon's Souls until the very end if I remember it correctly, and that was a remake, done in 2.5 years when nowadays those things take like half the time.

But I am pretty sure they were heavily profitable with Demon's Souls (from my memory when reading the big Insomniac leak) which is eventually what those big publishers want. Nintendo are making record profits while doing the best games out there. Many small and usually cheap projects that are guarranted to be highly profitable because these are polished products done by small and talented teams.

From the consumer side I prefer this latest approach of doing things. At least the games are better and age better.

Lupin25

I know Sony has a separate budget for acquisitions, but small teams like Bluepoint & Bend should not be making GaaS or huge projects to start the gen, imo.

Essentially, this whole gen we’re getting 1 real game from both. Sony has to invest into these studios more for a higher output or get some of them to start with smaller projects, so they have more to show for the current-gen.

• ND started it. Insomniac took the proper template further. UC4 came out 2016, and smaller Lost Legacy came 2017, TLOU 2 2020 (but was delayed), because 2-3 teams were working simultaneously.

• Insomniac dropped Spider-Man Sept 2018, Miles Morales & Rift Apart 2020-2021 and then Spider-Man 2 2023.

That’s the kind of output every dev under SIE should strive for at some point, but Sony has to invest in them or they’ll lose money all Gen from development.

Edit: I mean, what would I know I’m just a fucking guy on the internet? But if they could make this work it would be awesome for them.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Bluepoint - "Still working on an original title"

They forgot the rest of the statement...

"But since we work for Sony now and they hate getting our fans any kind of excitement ,we ain't showing you shit unless it's through leaks."

Varteras

Gold Member
I do think it's important to pump the breaks a bit on what they may be working on. For all we know, it might not even be a new IP, necessarily. Normally a studio will just say it is. I do think it's quite possible that it's within an existing IP. An "original" game in the sense that it's not a remaster or a remake. Perhaps a sequel, prequel, or reboot. Something that is their own project for that game in particular, but possibly an entry into a universe that already exists. They seem to have avoided calling it a "new IP" and instead have chosen to describe it as "original content" or "original title". I kinda hope someone gets them to respond to that question.

yurinka

They did prior to acquisition. Like I said, we have no idea how much they expanded since. We also don't know the scope of their project. For all we know, it's not even a big budget title. Could very easily be smaller than Miles Morales in scope.

Personally, I don't expect even a tease soon. And, it's a safe bet that whatever it is won't be dropping this year. Fair chance it isn't next year, either. But there is no reason to insist to anyone that A: no game from them is coming, which I've seen stated in various places over the last year or so, and B: that no game is dropping within the next couple years. Because we just don't have enough information to say that. Considering all the variables that could be true.

I do think it's important to pump the breaks a bit on what they may be working on. For all we know, it might not even be a new IP, necessarily. Normally a studio will just say it is. I do think it's quite possible that it's within an existing IP. An "original" game in the sense that it's not a remaster or a remake. Perhaps a sequel, prequel, or reboot. Something that is their own project for that game in particular, but possibly an entry into a universe that already exists. They seem to have avoided calling it a "new IP" and instead have chosen to describe it as "original content" or "original title". I kinda hope someone gets them to respond to that question.

They absolutely never said to be working on their own game, a game leaded by them. They don't have enough staff to lead their own AAA game. They only have two game designers, a single level designer and a single combat designer (and half of them were hired after GoWR).

They only said after Demon's Souls, that moved away from remasters and remakes to work instead on original content. We later saw that the original game where they were working was GoWR, on a support role. We saw on its game credits that all their devs were credited there. We saw in these credits and in their linkedin that don't have enough people to lead their own game.

We saw Sony labeling them a few days ago as "partner studio" with their other support teams instead of including them in the groups of dev studios who lead their own SP or GaaS titles. They say that are working on an original game.

Meaning, they must be working again in a new game leaded by someone else (as could be SSM, ND, FromSoft, etc). Not a game leaded by them (they never were after Demon's Souls). Not a remake or remaster. These are the facts, the rest are fairy tales.

Would be funny to learn that bluepoint is just working on some other Devs "original title."
It was the case the previous time they said it, the game was GoWR.

It hasn't been a full 3 years since they were acquired and 4 since the release of Demon's Souls for the PS5 launch. "Go back to remastering games" as if they were cranking them out annually anyway.
100% thoughts exactly. And the fact that we have not seen anything yet(been almost 5 years) is not a good sign. I know how long these games take to make but I hope they're not cooking up a dud
According to the game credits all their devs worked on God of War Ragnarok, released a year and a half ago.

This was last year that this slide was presented. Note that Bluepoint was listed, in 2023, as part of a future growth pillar for IP. Along with Firesprite, Housemarque, and Valkyrie.
Yes, like Valkyrie they did work as support team on GoWR.

That was honestly just yurinka yurinka , and I actually agree with his points, but I do believe that they will make something by their own at some point.
Yes, in the future they may grow more and be able to lead their own game, but looking at their LinkedIn, as of now barely grew a bit since they released GoWR. They continue without having enough staff to lead their own game, and even less a new IP.

We know they aren't working on a remaster/remake: said to be working on an original game instead. Same as they said when were working on GoWR. So must be codeveloping somebody else's game in a support role, as did in GoWR.

Now outside the facts stated above, in a purely speculative note: if I had to guess, I'd say they are working with SSM again, in Cory's new IP if it was ever approved (I assume it was the case) because after GoWR it would already would have been at full production during several years, while the next GoW set in a new mythology would be in early stages when GoWR was shipped. That Cory's new IP could be Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet, game name trademarket by Sony back in February, which considering the typical period between registering a trademark and announcing the game means could be announced this fall. And considering the typical distance between Sony game announcements and releases, could be released before the end of 2025.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
They absolutely never said to be working on their own game, a game leaded by them. They don't have enough staff to lead their own AAA game. They only have two game designers, a single level designer and a single combat designer (and half of them were hired after GoWR).

They only said after Demon's Souls, that moved away from remasters and remakes to work instead on original content. We later saw that the original game where they were working was GoWR, on a support role. We saw on its game credits that all their devs were credited there. We saw in these credits and in their linkedin that don't have enough people to lead their own game.

We saw Sony labeling them a few days ago as "partner studio" with their other support teams instead of including them in the groups of dev studios who lead their own SP or GaaS titles.

These are the facts, the rest are fairy tales.
Sure Jan GIF

bitbydeath

Gold Member
They absolutely never said to be working on their own game, a game leaded by them.
They did.

“It's not like we're a bunch of developers that got trained up on making remasters and remakes. We have that original game development mindset in our hearts, and that's what we're now ready, finally ready with the support of Sony to push forward and show what we can do, and show what PlayStation can do," he said.

The above article explains it all.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
They really to be more clear, I have no doubt that they're somewhat working on an original project, and slowly hiring designers and all, but that will take A LOT of time, and yet you have people believing that Bluepoint could have a project ready to be released soon.

Depends on what the game even is.

So games take time, but how much really depends on what they are even making lol Could share tech with another title ala Fallout 3 to New Vegas, could be a AA game instead of AAA and clearly could be a AAA game with help by another studio like Sony Santa Monica or something. So...who knows.

Regardless, I think it will be some time before we actually see any reveal on it as Sony only wants to show stuff near release these days.
Still can't wrap my head around the 5-7 year production time, regardless I still feel we should have had an announcement reveal already from BP, ND, Bend and SP. They're taking suspiciously long.
lol nah, I greatly disagree

First point, Sony no longer shows titles YEARS in advance, they've been against for a while now, so nothing would be sus about not seeing those announcements now

Second, last gen Bend took 7 years to do Days Gone...a PS4 game, could take them just as long to do their new IP
Same with Naughty Dog

So imho, I don't expect any reveals by those teams any time soon as we would not even be near the time frame for a reveal based on how Sony wishes to show those title currently. I'd argue it would be suspicious if Sony never made those statements about showing games later in the dev cycle and we didn't get a reveal or something, but the days of those 2 or 3 or 4 year reveals before release is kinda done with Sony.

With games taking longer to make, I have no clue why anyone would expect the same dev time, let alone shorter. Even if we use the same exact dev time from last gen, you still don't get those games out so......yea.

Like Ghost didn't take 4 years
The Last Of Us 2 didn't take 4 years
Days Gone didn't take 5 years lol sooooo how the fuck would you expect their sequels NOW, when they didn't even take that long originally?

This means, even if we suggest those times are exactly the same (with no proof mind you)

Sony Bend new IP April 2026
Ghost Of Tsushima 2 would be July 2026
The Last Of Us 3 (or ND New IP...likely new IP) June 2027

Sir, this means you not even NEAR a reveal EVEN if we just pretend zero things changed in development time.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
They did.

You guys are going to have to ignore yurinka BIG time on this one, I have no clue why he has sooooo much invested in this, I have no clue where this ego is coming from.

Not only has the team stated this several times, one of the times they said they will reveal it later, God Of Wars already a revealed game....

God Of War has already released, for them to tweet this clearly shows they were not talking about God Of War support as not only was that known publicly, why would they make such statements about simply assisting a team on an existing IP?

I'm starting to think, Blue Point games can literally say to yurinka's face that they are doing a new IP, their own game, it will be something different, brand new and he'll be like
"Ok, new can mean many things, like new to entry" - yurinka

"No, we mean new IP" - Blue Point

"Ok, they could mean new to the series, of an existing IP, that is an established IP, like God Of War 2018 is a bit different then the other games, like its with Viki-" - yurinka

"No we mean NEW IP, new universe, new everything" Blue Point

"Ok, are you saying new or "knew" like you knew it existed and wanted to make a new entry and maybe you misspoke" - yurinka' lol

I'm just messing with you yurinka yurinka lol, but you have to see how crazy this is when the team is literally stating this again. Sooooooooo yea, clearly they are not talking about God Of War support as the game has already released

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
They did.

I was gonna bring that article up, among other things, but don't bother. They're not the kind of person to understand that their own conjecture isn't automatically fact. What they'll do is insist that none of that means what you think it means. And then proceed to tell you what it means, without any of their own way to prove it.

They'll reference support credits for Ragnarok and tell you they were all working on as a support team. With no way of proving they were all on it at the same time, how much they actually did, or for how long. They'll tell you that they lack the personnel, despite having already increased their own headcount by 14% (70 to 80) over 2 years, and that count was last year. Also ignoring that Housemarque was at 90 people after finishing Returnal. Not much bigger then than Bluepoint was last year.

They'll ignore that Bluepoint has advertised on their very site positions that would be important for creating new gameplay. Including a current listing for a senior level designer. Which now that I checked is no longer there. They'll pretend that Bluepoint must absolutely have all of their own staff instead of outsourcing, or getting assistance from other Sony studios, right this very instant. Or else, there is no way they can begin work.

They'll refuse to believe that Bluepoint could possibly be working on anything low-key, while they build up and prepare for their own full production, despite the fact that this is not at all an uncommon practice. They'll approach the topic as if anyone here is insisting the game is a huge new IP releasing next year, when it could just as easily be a small scope game in an existing universe that could still end up taking them a long time, all things considered.

And should a new game by Bluepoint release in 2027 or so, they'll handwave that as what they were saying was absolutely true at the time, but that obviously things changed.

EDIT: "Including a current listing for a senior level designer. Which now that I checked is no longer there."

And this may be why...

He was a Senior Game Designer for Kena: Bridge of Spirits in 2021. Worked on it for 3 years. Seems he is now a Senior Level Designer for Bluepoint. His name was not in the credits for Ragnarok. So either he never helped with that project or he wasn't there at the time.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I want to puke but I fucking know you're right. 🤢
I may be biased because I love Norse mythology but I'm all for it, man. Because if it's well-done and is successful, we may get a grown-up Loki game, and that'd be fucking lit. That's what I want.

Just imagine the powers and gameplay mechanics of a Loki game; it'd be so fresh. Transform into animals at will, each with different playstyles and powers, teleport, trick other people, etc.

It would be soooo cool and fresh in today's gaming landscape.

And Atreus gameplay wasn't the most fun in Ragnarok because he wasn't the main focus. If Bluepoint does an Atreus solo game, I'm sure the combat would be expanded and feel really good because that'll warrant more focus.

Varteras

Gold Member
I may be biased because I love Norse mythology but I'm all for it, man. Because if it's well-done and is successful, we may get a grown-up Loki game, and that'd be fucking lit. That's what I want.

Just imagine the powers and gameplay mechanics of a Loki game; it'd be so fresh. Transform into animals at will, each with different playstyles and powers, teleport, trick other people, etc.

It would be soooo cool and fresh in today's gaming landscape.

And Atreus gameplay wasn't the most fun in Ragnarok because he wasn't the main focus. If Bluepoint does an Atreus solo game, I'm sure the combat would be expanded and feel really good because that'll warrant more focus.

Didn't the Insomniac leak also contain concept art that Bluepoint was working on? Which showed an Egyptian-looking structure on a floating island, with two characters looking at it? One who suspiciously looks like a slightly older and bigger Atreus from behind?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Didn't the Insomniac leak also contain concept art that Bluepoint was working on? Which showed an Egyptian-looking structure on a floating island, with two characters looking at it? One who suspiciously looks like a slightly older and bigger Atreus from behind?
Yes. It looked very much like that. The weapon also looks like Loki's scepter to me (a little bit, at least).
cbtnRKS.jpeg

My theory is that they have been working on an Atreus game before that leak -- actually ever since Ragnarok released. I guess that Atreus will be the same age as he was in Ragnarok to bridge the gap between Ragnarok and the next God of War game.

But I'd be pleasantly surprised if they make Atreus an adult and an absolute beast.

mckmas8808

Banned

Bro you 100% right here! It's ridiculous!

Varteras

Gold Member
Yes. It looked very much like that. The weapon also looks like Loki's scepter to me (a little bit, at least).
cbtnRKS.jpeg

My theory is that they have been working on an Atreus game before that leak -- actually ever since Ragnarok released. I guess that Atreus will be the same age as he was in Ragnarok to bridge the gap between Ragnarok and the next God of War game.

But I'd be pleasantly surprised if they make Atreus an adult and an absolute beast.

My guess would be this is Bluepoint's next step. They wanted to graduate from remasters and remakes. They want to actually make original content, but a new IP is very risky to cut their teeth on. So, they assisted with Ragnarok, got familiar with everything, and now they're working on a Miles Morales scope of a game that will bridge the story gap from Norse to Egyptian. By the end of the game, Atreus is in trouble. Kratos and Freya go looking for him in the next big game. In the meantime, Santa Monica focuses most resources on Barlog's new IP while Bluepoint helps scratch the God of War itch and keep the franchise in everyone's mind. The perfect project for them to get one step closer to full-on new IP production with a now seasoned and expanded crew.

Last edited:
Wait If I remember correctly Detective Gaf they are working on a new content, new game, original title even (ish), but not new IP. The most logical would be Demon's Souls 2 featuring the new archstones. Make sense IMO. They already have the template gameplay, the engine, the main characters and they nailed the whole remake IMO. A good thing is that their first game was focused on gameplay. Anyways for Demon's Souls 2 they could even have new material from From Software, who knows.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Wait If I remember correctly Detective Gaf they are working on a new content, new game, original title even (ish), but not new IP. The most logical would be Demon's Souls 2 featuring the new archstones. Make sense IMO. They already have the template gameplay, the engine, the main characters and they nailed the whole remake IMO. A good thing is that their first game was focused on gameplay. Anyways for Demon's Souls 2 they could even have new material from From Software, who knows.

I've seen people in various places, including here, Resetera, and X, suggest it's a God of War spin-off with Atreus as the focus. It does add up.

They want to make their own game. They assisted with Ragnarok. Their concept art of an Egyptian structure got leaked. Many think Egypt is where the franchise is heading next.

It wouldn't have to be a big game, making it perfect to feature Atreus. Santa Monica would likely assist. That would allow them to focus mostly on Barlog's new IP while Bluepoint makes a game that helps setup the next big God of War.

Because it would be about Atreus, they have a bit more freedom to go wild with the gameplay. If they do a sequel to Demon's Souls, they're likely to be much more constrained by the gameplay expectations of a Souls game.

And FromSoft is almost certainly nowhere near as readily available to give them a hand as Santa Monica would be.

tommib

Gold Member
I've seen people in various places, including here, Resetera, and X, suggest it's a God of War spin-off with Atreus as the focus. It does add up.

They want to make their own game. They assisted with Ragnarok. Their concept art of an Egyptian structure got leaked. Many think Egypt is where the franchise is heading next.

It wouldn't have to be a big game, making it perfect to feature Atreus. Santa Monica would likely assist. That would allow them to focus mostly on Barlog's new IP while Bluepoint makes a game that helps setup the next big God of War.

Because it would be about Atreus, they have a bit more freedom to go wild with the gameplay. If they do a sequel to Demon's Souls, they're likely to be much more constrained by the gameplay expectations of a Souls game.

And FromSoft is almost certainly nowhere near as readily available to give them a hand as Santa Monica would be.
I’m 99% sure it’s an Atreus game.

Which makes me very sad. But it is what is.

The only dev that will have freedom for single player new IPs at this point is Housemarque. They’ll be the black sheep of Sony.

At least that.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I’m 99% sure it’s an Atreus game.

Which makes me very sad. But it is what is.

I'm not thrilled, but if they do it well and in the way Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 suggested, it could be fun. I'm imagining a slightly older Atreus. Early 20's tops. Very acrobatic. Heavy use of magic. Much more grown into his place in the world. Transforming into all manner of creatures. A faster pace than Kratos. And since we'd be talking maybe a 15 to 20 hour game, it might not last long enough to wear out its welcome

Maybe but I don't want a sequel to GoW Ragnarok with Atreus gameplay. We have enough of those games from Sony. God of War 2018 was like a lighting in a bottle but the light is gone forever and Ragnarok was extremely disappointing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
My guess would be this is Bluepoint's next step. They wanted to graduate from remasters and remakes. They want to actually make original content, but a new IP is very risky to cut their teeth on. So, they assisted with Ragnarok, got familiar with everything, and now they're working on a Miles Morales scope of a game that will bridge the story gap from Norse to Egyptian. By the end of the game, Atreus is in trouble. Kratos and Freya go looking for him in the next big game. In the meantime, Santa Monica focuses most resources on Barlog's new IP while Bluepoint helps scratch the God of War itch and keep the franchise in everyone's mind. The perfect project for them to get one step closer to full-on new IP production with a now seasoned and expanded crew.
Yep. Absolute win-win for everyone.
  • Bluepoints graduates without onboarding too much risk that could potentially shut down studios.
  • Sony gets to make a smaller-budget smaller-scoped game in still one of their biggest IPs.
  • Players continue receiving the beloved God of War games.
  • Cory gets to make a different IP that he wanted to.
  • The rest of SSM could continue making mainline God of War games.

Top Bottom