• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•15-17•16 - Ghostbusters bows but Pets bow wow, Dory rekts Shrek for DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

The worst case scenario for Star Wars is that it gets placed on ice for another decade or so if audiences start to tire of the current batch of films. Ditto for Marvel and DC. Those are properties that have already been popular for several generations now. I doubt people will stop liking them in the near future.

Why are film studios willing to take chances on low budget horror films, but won't do the same for Action/Thriller films?

Harder to sell low budget action with all the big budget ones constantly coming out in comparison. There is no big budget horror that competes with the low budget stuff. Action movies and such are constantly being pumped out, if you can't put out a big budget looking spectacle, your going to be seen as generic or something out of direct to video.

JABEE

Track record of success. Any competently made low to med budget horror with a half way attractive premise seems to be able to turn a profit. They tend to be pretty cheap to make. Low to med budget action films have been spotty for a while now. I mean there's a constant stream of DTV action movies which just sink.

But if you're confident in an idea and you believe a creator can make something much better than DTV stuff isn't it in a studios best interest to repair this market's reputation?

If you are Sony making bomb after bomb with bloated budgets, why isn't this on the table?

Make it something other than Cannon hammy action. Like Star Wars and Indiana Jones weren't goofy, 50s television pulp.

3N16MA

Banned
The worst case scenario for Star Wars is that it gets paced on ice for another decade or so if audiences start to tire of the current batch of films. Ditto for Marvel and DC. Those are properties that have already been popular for several generations now. I doubt people will stop liking them in the near future.

Pretty much. Those franchises will go through peaks and then periods of cooling off as the studio waits to reintroduce them to audiences.

kswiston

3 Ghostbusters (2016) Sony $21,600,000
4 Lights Out WB (NL) $21,600,000
5 Ice Age: Collision Course Fox $21,000,000

Damn that is neck and neck lol

Sony is fudging the Sunday drop a bit. They've estimated a better drop this Sunday (percentage wise) than its opening Sunday. That typically doesn't happen.

Buying Killing Joke tickets for tomorrow night, and uh, can someone tell me what the fuck this is:

Pzc7kjX.jpg

Buying Killing Joke tickets for tomorrow night, and uh, can someone tell me what the fuck this is:

Political prisoner Dinesh D'Souza has escaped the hellish inferno of Barrack Hussein Obama's black site gulags to deliver the unfettered truth about Evil Incarnate, aka Hillary Clinton. His bravery should not go unrewarded. If there is justice in this world, you have your new all-time box office champ. Who needs blue cat people when you can have the Truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom