• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk launches to 98% overwhelming positive on Steam

Gambit2483

Hopefully this game is a massive sales success.

That's the only thing that could convince the reluctant parties to agree to re-up the license for JSRF and let Microsoft add it to backwards compatibility.
Something tells me it won't, as much as I want it to. Gamers nowadays will gladly pay $70 for the latest Madden or COD but will balk at anything else that doesn't have the latest greatest graphics or the "Nintendo" stamp on it.

Team Reptile should have released this @ $30 for more mass appeal and impulse buys

I just need an aesthetically pleasing avatar to play with and I am in like Flint at 40 USD on GOG.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
its fantastic - i think it improves on the JSR formula in a lot of areas too - like the way the story is presented - and the graffiti and skating mechanics
The story is more fleshed out but I don't necessarily like that. I kind of prefer the more minimal story of JSR.

But the controls and mechanics are actually much improved, it really addresses the part of those games that have aged hardest.

StueyDuck

Happy to hear it's success..

Was personally never really a JSR fan, to me it was lesser Tony hawks/SSX etc (come at me bro) but I am intrigued none the less. Maybe if it hits a good steam sale I'll jump in

Last edited:
Just a shame the soundtrack isn't in the same class as JSR & JSRF as it would have made it a complete package.
Nothing has been since.
I hope someone finds a way to mod the game and let's you inject the old soundtracks 😋 as I genuinely don't like a single track in this game.

Music was half the experience in the first two games.
People underestimate the massive amount of importance that the A&R position holds when making good songs feel 100% cohesive on an album(let alone a video game), and no one ever mentioned T/K’s importance along with Hideki Naganuma’s.

By saying this, I’m saying that BRC’s soundtrack is good, but certain placements are off and certain vibes aren’t read correctly at certain points in the game. It would have been the same case if they had leaned too heavily into Hideki Nagamuma’s style with JSR and JRSF soundtracks instead of A&R finding ways of mixing in a bit of licensed rock, hip hop, soul, and grunge to offset his style, at key areas and key points of the game. On top of that, making sure that the correct songs are chosen from these genres.

The good news is that if successful, BRC devs can always learn from this and other mistakes, and make their own BRCF.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Hopefully this game is a massive sales success.

That's the only thing that could convince the reluctant parties to agree to re-up the license for JSRF and let Microsoft add it to backwards compatibility.

Ah yes. Just like the recent Tony Hawk remake. A madsive sale succes.

YCoCg

I hope someone finds a way to mod the game and let's you inject the old soundtracks 😋 as I genuinely don't like a single track in this game.

Music was half the experience in the first two games.
The music in the originals took some time to grow appreciation and this soundtrack will be the same, I remember a lot of people liking the soundtrack back then but a good amount thought it was too "weird" as well.

Ishma3L

This is hands down the best possible outcome JSR/JSRF fans could have hoped for. It's polished, buttery-smooth, fun, artistically relevant, earwormy, and the list goes on. I'm really surprised it hasn't received more coverage. Apparently all that love for the franchise was artificial. If you are a fan (or think you're one) of those games, this is it. This is the game.

beearcie.gif

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
you could do that... or you can just play this, since it looks to be better than JSRF in every concievable way.

or emulate using xemu that works too

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Just a shame the soundtrack isn't in the same class as JSR & JSRF as it would have made it a complete package.
I would say at least some of the sountrack is. The sountrack is excellent overall. But obviously without the access to licensed songs and such and less Naganuma.

Interfectum

This is hands down the best possible outcome JSF fans could have hoped for. It's polished, buttery-smooth, fun, artistically relevant, earwormy, and the list goes on. I'm really surprised it hasn't received more coverage. Apparently all that love for the franchise was artificial. If you are a fan (or think you're one) of those games, this is it. This is the game.

beearcie.gif
The game is climbing the sales charts. No doubt influencers will hop on the bandwagon soon, then the media will catch on.

Esppiral

I LOVE Jet set Radio, this game nails the aesthetics (partially) but gameplay wise is nothing like Jet set Radio, played for about 3h and it didn't click with me.

This is hands down the best possible outcome JSF fans could have hoped for. It's polished, buttery-smooth, fun, artistically relevant, earwormy, and the list goes on. I'm really surprised it hasn't received more coverage. Apparently all that love for the franchise was artificial. If you are a fan (or think you're one) of those games, this is it. This is the game.

beearcie.gif
I’ll be getting it on the ps5 for sure.

Dr.D00p

I would say at least some of the sountrack is. The sountrack is excellent overall. But obviously without the access to licensed songs and such and less Naganuma.

Obviously soundtracks are very subjective but I know what I like and having listened to the games soundtrack in full, I know that I really don't like any of it.

Like REZ, the music in JSR & JSRF pulled me into a perfect place when playing, but this just doesn't do it for me.

Gambit2483

beearcie.gif

Something tells me Team Reptile didn't send out many review codes. A lot of the major review outlets might be overlooking the game unless they get a review code. It's a shame because it's really one of the best indie based games I've played in a long long time.

Something tells me Team Reptile didn't send out many review codes. A lot of the major review outlets might be overlooking the game unless they get a review code. It's a shame because it's really one of the best indie based games I've played in a long long time.
This and En Garde! are unfortunately being sandwiched between a ton of heavy hitters. Both games are great underdogs of fun.

beearcie.gif
I am just not a fan of cyber shit. Same reason I could not enjoy Metal Gear Revengeance. If its minimized by mods, I will probably be able to enjoy this.

Keihart

deserved, the game doesnt just feel like JSR, but like an actual sequel informed by the previous games without having to lean on the license. It explores the gameplay mechanics and tries to improve upon them while also triying to keep some of the vibe in the aesthetics while adding some of their own spin on things.

I dont think SEGA would of done better, only better outcome would of been a SEGA cooperation project with Team Reptile....probably.

♫just cant get enuf, rising to the top ♫

Gambit2483

Just completed the final story mission. Same opinion as before. Easily one of my favorite games of 2023 thus far.

Hopefully more people will give this a shot.

I'm hoping it wins Indie GOTY and that gives it more eyes because It's a damn shame that it's been out for a week now and there's not even a Metacritic score because not enough reviews exist.

We have what is basically the best possible spiritual successor to JSR and there's hardly any outlets talking about it..

Last edited:

lachesis

Bought it on Steam along with the ost. Haven’t gotten too far into, but crashed my old pc…. :( Works great on Steam Deck though! Finished 1st intro chapter only, so only thing that I can comment is that controls feels like JSR/JSRF - which is good thing too!

Was thinking about getting it on Switch - but not being locked 60fps made me choose to go with PC ver. Too bad there isn’t a physical version…

Hope the game does well!

Gambit2483

Bought it on Steam along with the ost. Haven’t gotten too far into, but crashed my old pc…. :( Works great on Steam Deck though! Finished 1st intro chapter only, so only thing that I can comment is that controls feels like JSR/JSRF - which is good thing too!

Was thinking about getting it on Switch - but not being locked 60fps made me choose to go with PC ver. Too bad there isn’t a physical version…

Hope the game does well!
Too bad mate, it looks absolutely gorgeous on that OLED screen. The colors pop!

lachesis

Too bad mate, it looks absolutely gorgeous on that OLED screen. The colors pop!

I'm sure it does! I actually plan to connect and play on my old CRT monitor or mostly play on 65" OLED, using my 2nd PC.
Thank goodness that it doesn't require greatest GPU at all. :D My PC on TV is running on GTX 660ti. LOL. (or just do the steam link from my main rig)

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Some people said it was litteraly JSR3.
Well, not exactly. That's a good evolution but don't forget JSRF has been released 20 years ago, not in 2020...
Holy crap, JSRF still has one of the most impressive cell shading ever made. (Bomber City could sometimes look a simple HD Remaster of that classic. It's not an insult but it proves tgat JSRF was a cutting edge production)

Last edited:
Top Bottom