• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 |OT| Vault Hunter, Welcome Back To The Borderlands

Well, decided to get it since I enjoyed my time with 1 and 2. I'll take the preachy SJ elements as parody instead of some serious message on their part. After all, what's the difference between Anita Sarkeesian and Titania Mcgrath these days?

I'm still undecided on character. Loved playing both sirens in previous games, but I'm unsure if I'll go with Amara or Zane. Even considering perhaps Moze.

Still, at least 9 hours to go before I can play. Damn work...

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I picked it up on PS4 last night, after not thinking I would. Seeing this OT is what kinda swayed me, after seeing the team members behind this game. It was mostly Randy Pitchford that turned me off of it so much, and I hate the idea of giving that fool money, but there were a lot of people who probably worked hard on this game, so I decided to give it a go since I liked 1 and 2 quite a bit.

I do like the feel of the shooting so far after the hour or so I played. It just has a nice snappy feel to it. Playing on PS4 Slim though, and I do feel like it looks a bit more grimy than I'd like. I dunno, feel like it's disappointing that the visuals haven't really stepped up more considering this is the first to appear exclusively on this generation so far. Still has the same horrible texture pop in that the series always had on PS3/360. Animations and gunplay seem to look and feel good though, so that's something.

How do the visuals look on the pro consoles out there for anyone who has a PS4 Pro, or Xbox One X? I play a lot of games on Nintendo Switch, so I'm used to not always getting a 4k clean image in my games, but this looks more pixelated and grimy than usual to me.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I picked it up on PS4 last night, after not thinking I would. Seeing this OT is what kinda swayed me, after seeing the team members behind this game. It was mostly Randy Pitchford that turned me off of it so much, and I hate the idea of giving that fool money, but there were a lot of people who probably worked hard on this game, so I decided to give it a go since I liked 1 and 2 quite a bit.

I do like the feel of the shooting so far after the hour or so I played. It just has a nice snappy feel to it. Playing on PS4 Slim though, and I do feel like it looks a bit more grimy than I'd like. I dunno, feel like it's disappointing that the visuals haven't really stepped up more considering this is the first to appear exclusively on this generation so far. Still has the same horrible texture pop in that the series always had on PS3/360. Animations and gunplay seem to look and feel good though, so that's something.

How do the visuals look on the pro consoles out there for anyone who has a PS4 Pro, or Xbox One X? I play a lot of games on Nintendo Switch, so I'm used to not always getting a 4k clean image in my games, but this looks more pixelated and grimy than usual to me.
I'm using Resolution mode on the X it's a pretty clean image, but some of the ground textures in certain areas leave a bit to be desired.

dextran

Hey guys - I picked up the PS4 copy today and didn't like how the shooting felt - too much deadzone. Plus I usually only think bungie games feel good to shoot.

I messed with some settings and it's a bit better but I was wondering if anyone else felt similar and could recommend settings.

I'm not hardcore enough to know what to tune.

dorkimoe

I was picking my first skill for Fl4k. God fucking stupid. I was reading the skill selection and got confused “after killing an enemy they get reload speed buff”.
Ok cool so the enemy gets a reload speed buff after you kill them? Oh no wait sorry that’s talking about me with a stupid pronoun. God damn it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I was picking my first skill for Fl4k. God fucking stupid. I was reading the skill selection and got confused “after killing an enemy they get reload speed buff”.
Ok cool so the enemy gets a reload speed buff after you kill them? Oh no wait sorry that’s talking about me with a stupid pronoun. God damn it.
Donkey shit 🤣🤣

Lanrutcon

Well there are screenshots surfacing where certain pieces of text in other languages are still referring to Fl4k as "he". Amusing.

HotPocket69

Banned
What other sorts of social justice bullshit is this game cramming down our throats besides “proper” pronouns for fictional characters?

JangoRain

Saw reports of laggy menus for console, but it’s been running fine on my Pro, in performance mode. Games been a blast, feels exactly like BL2 but with some awesome QoL improvements.

MastAndo

LOL, it took me a minute as well.

5YByN4T.gif

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why in the fuck would you use they makes no sense. Replace they by attention whore.

"after killing an enemy, attention whore get reload speed buff"

i rolled that old dude gonna try him for a bit i hope he is gay otherwise i can't possible enjoy this game
Also why am i not allowed to select the color of my anus in this game? So homophobic.

Last edited:
Why in the fuck would you use they makes no sense. Replace they by attention whore.

"after killing an enemy, attention whore get reload speed buff"

i rolled that old dude gonna try him for a bit i hope he is gay otherwise i can't possible enjoy this game
Also why am i not allowed to select the color of my anus in this game? So homophobic.

You're in luck - all of the characters are gay or non-binary.

scalman

BL2 vs BL3
for me its not like generation difference here though engine is next level . and missiong effects like it was nvidia physx fro shooting debris and stuff. but sure its bigger world , much more transport and stuff, just ground is still flat as it was on BL2 , they couldnt do some bump maping or tesselation kinda effect on Unreal 4 ?

Last edited:

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Lmao, I guess it was only a matter of time before clown world pronouns started making their way into mainstream games. Will they ban for misgendering other players?

Tygeezy

I'm a little disappointed in the performance of the PC version. I figured I could get a solid 90 fps with some tweaks, but that just isn't the case. I can get far cry 5 running at 1400 p on high settings and its locked at 75 fps. At 1440p I cant seem to get anywhere close to a solid 90 no matter the graphic settings. In the benchmark I averaged around 55 fps.

Thankfully freesync + radeon anti lag make the experience very nice. GPU bottlenecked scenarios in the 60's are no logger a slog. The game is definitely GPU bottlnecked for me. In the benchmark my cpu frametimes ranged from 7 to 10 ms (140 to 100 fps). Borderlands 2 still has scenes that bring your pc to it's knees. The HDR so far in this game is very good. It only allows a max peak brightness of 1000 nits however which around what my tv can do at my tv settings. If you have a much brighter tv like a Samsung q7fn though that's probably a disappointment.

TacosNSalsa

Anyone else under leveling in relation to their progress? Everything that drops at the moment and in the vending machines are at least 3 levels above me . I'm stuck with these sucky equipment

dorkimoe

I keep doing the ingame “challenges” but does it not earn you anything anymore?

Getting some great loot early on. They made the epics feel better

Dynasty8

I definitely recommend Performance over resolution for those on a PS4 Pro or XB1X. I'm three hours in and the game feels great. Gunplay is vastly improved over Borderlands 2.

dorkimoe

I definitely recommend Performance over resolution for those on a PS4 Pro or XB1X. I'm three hours in and the game feels great. Gunplay is vastly improved over Borderlands 2.
I might switch. I was on resolution and it runs great BUT occasionally get a big hiccup where it freezes for like 1-2 seconds

I'm a little disappointed in the performance of the PC version. I figured I could get a solid 90 fps with some tweaks, but that just isn't the case. I can get far cry 5 running at 1400 p on high settings and its locked at 75 fps. At 1440p I cant seem to get anywhere close to a solid 90 no matter the graphic settings. In the benchmark I averaged around 55 fps.

Thankfully freesync + radeon anti lag make the experience very nice. GPU bottlenecked scenarios in the 60's are no logger a slog. The game is definitely GPU bottlnecked for me. In the benchmark my cpu frametimes ranged from 7 to 10 ms (140 to 100 fps). Borderlands 2 still has scenes that bring your pc to it's knees. The HDR so far in this game is very good. It only allows a max peak brightness of 1000 nits however which around what my tv can do at my tv settings. If you have a much brighter tv like a Samsung q7fn though that's probably a disappointment.

What's your GPU? I want to play at Ultra 1440p but I'm guessing my 1080 will struggle.

Tygeezy

What's your GPU? I want to play at Ultra 1440p but I'm guessing my 1080 will struggle.
I'm using a vega 56. So your gpu is a little stronger and nvidia typically performs better in unreal engine. I never recommend playing at ultra though. To me anyway the visual boost doesn't justify the performance hit. You will still be gpu bottlnecked and I would recommend enabling the nvidia anti lag feature they recently added. Im not sure what nvidia calls it

It makes a big difference in lower framerate high GPU load scenarios. It will shave off roughly a frame of input lag (16 ms at 60 fps high 90's gpu usage)

I think people are going overboard criticizing the performance. I'm just a bit disappointed because I expected more, but it's more than playable if you have it tweaked right and you use either amd or nvidias anti lag feature.

Last edited:
The first few hours of BL3 have completely erased my fears about it. Everything I hated about BL2 is basically gone. Auto loot for ammo, health and money. Fast travel right from the start and its actually FAST! Fast travelling to the vehicle has already allowed me to explore off an area that would have required a ton of traversal by jumping off a cliff and fast travelling back to my vehicle afterwards.

God damn it I am never going to let stupid politics get in the way of my love for gaming again. This shit is fantastic!!

I'm playing on the X in performance mode and it looks great to me. If there are drops they're pretty minor for me. I tried resolution mode but after playing on performance the resolution mode just wasn't smooth enough for me.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

This is the first game to look like shit at 1080p on my TV. Im not really sure why either. I thought it could have been the aa solution adding blur. Metro exodus looks fantastic at 1080 p. At 1440p the game looks very nice, but I dropped to 1080 to try and eek out some more performance and it just looked terrible with not enough performance gain to justify the major hit to image quality.

Tygeezy

i see framerate all over the place in that mode some very weird juddering at times too
You will get juddering if they are using triple buffering and you can't maintain a framerate that is a multiple of your refresh rate. Assuming your tv is 60 hz that would be 60/30/20/15 ect.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

I killed a little midget with a bag on his back. The amount of loot it dropped was SO DAMN SATISFYING
Do they fight you still or just try and runaway? In 2 those little f*ckers could be tough as all hell and open a can of certified buss a$$ on you if you weren't prepared

Last edited:
Top Bottom