• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 |OT| Vault Hunter, Welcome Back To The Borderlands

Zimmy68

Looking at that comparison video and playing some BL2 on my PC, I have to admit, I miss the crazy Physx effects.
The exploding toilets, bullet debris, and lootslopsions are great.

scalman

Looking at that comparison video and playing some BL2 on my PC, I have to admit, I miss the crazy Physx effects.
The exploding toilets, bullet debris, and lootslopsions are great.
yes it shame they didint add more new effects with unreal 4 engine . so now its like less effect then we had on previous engine , thats not cool

Salvatron

Blew my entire weekend enjoying this game on PC. Haven't encountered any bugs except for one moment where a claptrap soundbyte kept repeating every few seconds. Restarted and it fixed itself. Knock on wood nothing happens to my save with recent reports floating around.

I'm around lvl 27 now i think. Still not sure if Moze is the character I should have started with.. kinda unsure about my point distribution. But goddamn the loot is satisfying.

lem0n

So I found that sometimes green weapons in this game work better and more reliable than the higher rarity ones, depending on your build and play style.

My Zane is currently lvl 20 and still using this one as my main weapon.

High damage. Check.
Large magazine size. Check.
Decent fire rate. Check.
Decent reload time. Check
Easy to aim for mid range. Check

5wXzVf3.jpg
I've got a Blue Dahl Jaguar AR and it's the best gun I have, got a few Epics as well.. it's nice to see the lower class stuff being usable now.

Salvatron

hows that more open world working so far ? is it feels really that much bigger world ? side missions ?
So far I've found the segmentation of the game to make it feel actually smaller than 2... but you're also switching between worlds rather than just sections of pandora, so the scale is slowly growing the further I progress. I really dig the side missions, but am also unsure if I'm missing a bunch along the way. Wish there was a better way to track all available quests instead of just current, side, and complete.

Reactions: Isa

Ogbert

but am also unsure if I'm missing a bunch along the way.

Read online that it's actually advisable to not worry about side missions and simply go through the main questline. You can then return to clean up the side missions afterwards, with the 'mayhem' level raising those missions to your current level. That way, the loot will scale.

Isa

Played about 6 hrs. of this yesterday with my best m8. Its been a good time so far. I think the game looks and runs well and we've had some laughs every now and then.

scalman

cool. and hows that unreal 4 engine shines or not so much ?, i saw in videos ground is still flat with those stones just flat there too , i mean we can have so much bump maped and tesselated ground surface this gen and in this game we still have that same BL2 style ground surface ?

Last edited:

Ogbert

Played a few more hours tonight. Really love it - will sink 100s of hours into it.

I think my only 'criticism' so far is that movement, although improved, is still a little dated. Playing Flak, it feels like there should be a dash button, to zip around more. Not sure if other characters offer that.

Doom85

So far my absolute biggest issue with the game is Tyreen. She just isn't funny and comes across even worse than a poor man's Handsome Jack.

Yeah, but IMHO that's true for pretty much everyone in this game. BL 2's humor was pretty hit or miss to say the least (Tales from the Borderlands was virtually all hits, shame they couldn't get Telltale writers on the script for this one) but to me 3 is pretty much missing it almost all the time, funniest thing to me was dying by my own explosion and getting a trophy for it called "Florida Man".

At least up to where I'm at, Tyreen at least has a personality. Her brother, whose name I can't even remember, is just kinda there.

Neolombax

Been playing on my launch day PS4 despite hearing horror stories about the game running like ass on base consoles...and I have to say, its nowhere nearly as bad as I thought it would be? I've been playing solo exclusively and offline. I'm not super sensitive to FPS but I'd say its stable around 30fps even with many enemies and effects on screen. Menu lag is definitely a thing, but I'm used to inventory loading from playing Destiny so its a non issue for me personally.

The writing is average, sometimes I chuckle. Its not offensive to me thus far, I've only just landed on the 2nd planet. I'd say Handsome Jack is a better antagonist compared to the Calypso Twins. Thats the impression so far. The Calypsos seem to be 2 children that are being given Siren powers and are bullying people with it, while Handsome Jack seems to be a genuinely menacing and vile human being. But story isn't the main thing I look forward to when playing Borderlands, so its fine.

Gameplay wise, much improvement on gun feedback especially when using revolvers/handcannons. Not really feeling it when using AR's and SMG's really. The sway from using snipers seem to be more compared to BL2? I don't like it that much in BL3, hence avoiding snipers for now. Guns in general I think would benefit it they were more sticky on consoles I think.

BL3 is everything I wanted in a Borderlands game. The variety in just about everything in this game is staggering, I'm really diggin it. I'm so glad I purchased it day 1 despite not having plans to do so.

Fuz

Banned
BL 2's humor was pretty hit or miss to say the least (Tales from the Borderlands was virtually all hits, shame they couldn't get Telltale writers on the script for this one)
BL2 humour was MUCH better than TftB's.

Really enjoying it. Better movement, better gunplay and a silly story.

Not entirely sure why it’s coping so much flak in the press - seems to be a game that’s cool to shit on.

Borderlands 2 was pretty progressive when it released. Borderlands 3 is still a very progressive game but it's also offensive to people who don't like that kind of humor. It's just not considered progressive enough by some. It's all political. The gaming press wants to push the industry to reflect and promote it's beliefs 100 percent or else you are going to be punished. It honestly makes me wonder what would happen if a game pushed actual modern right wing viewpoints instead of mid 2000-ish progressive views.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I got a legendary jakobs sniper that gets 3 ricochets instead of 1, so good with a crit build along with a trick unforgiven.

Guys and gals please add me I'd like to play co op. Everytime I search a co op game I get kicked out.
This has happened so many times that I gave up but I'm still burning to play with a few people. It's so much fun to play with other people.

My psn Id is: I_C_PEE1

Lanrutcon

My friend cracked and bought it from Epic.

I proceeded to raze his apartment, salt the earth it was built on and curse his bloodline with a blood sacrifice.

Waiting for some patches before I pick it up.

Doom85

BL2 humour was MUCH better than TftB's.

We'll STRONGLY agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, 2 had some funny moments. Some of the stuff Jack said was funny (SOME, mind you), a few sidequests particularly "shoot me in the face!", and the Tiny Tina DLC was actually mostly funny. But when they're resorting to jokes like Mordecia going, "fuck it, they're called boner-farts!", yeah that's not high-grade humor to me, that's like in Family Guy when Peter simply yells "diarrhea!" and Lois actually laughs despite herself. I think I'd laugh at some of the more low-grade humor if I was in my pre-teens/teens but they're over a decade late on that shit.

Tales from the Borderlands actually had jokes, clever moments, good pacing, etc. It felt like I was part of a strong action/comedy movie. Now I realize due to being different game genres Borderlands 2 can't exactly feature as much cinematic humor as TftB could but even beyond that it was clear Telltale's writers had a better grasp at consistently making clever jokes and solid comedic timing compared to Gearbox's writers.

Also, Tales from the Borderlands has Patrick Warburton. Nuff fucking said.

On a side note, just found out Troy Baker was replaced as Rhys for 3. Why the fuck does this keep happening to this dude? First happened with Yuri from Tales of Vesperia, and now this. And he was not happy about being replaced as Yuri, and I figure he'll probably not be thrilled about this either. Troy's a solid VA, stop replacing him unless there is a legit schedule conflict/union issue or something.

Fuz

Banned
We'll STRONGLY agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, 2 had some funny moments. Some of the stuff Jack said was funny (SOME, mind you), a few sidequests particularly "shoot me in the face!", and the Tiny Tina DLC was actually mostly funny. But when they're resorting to jokes like Mordecia going, "fuck it, they're called boner-farts!", yeah that's not high-grade humor to me, that's like in Family Guy when Peter simply yells "diarrhea!" and Lois actually laughs despite herself. I think I'd laugh at some of the more low-grade humor if I was in my pre-teens/teens but they're over a decade late on that shit.

Tales from the Borderlands actually had jokes, clever moments, good pacing, etc. It felt like I was part of a strong action/comedy movie. Now I realize due to being different game genres Borderlands 2 can't exactly feature as much cinematic humor as TftB could but even beyond that it was clear Telltale's writers had a better grasp at consistently making clever jokes and solid comedic timing compared to Gearbox's writers.

Also, Tales from the Borderlands has Patrick Warburton. Nuff fucking said.

On a side note, just found out Troy Baker was replaced as Rhys for 3. Why the fuck does this keep happening to this dude? First happened with Yuri from Tales of Vesperia, and now this. And he was not happy about being replaced as Yuri, and I figure he'll probably not be thrilled about this either. Troy's a solid VA, stop replacing him unless there is a legit schedule conflict/union issue or something.
Yeah, bullshit. TftBL was mostly lame childish jokes.

Bl2 had things like this:

Or, like, everything Tina or Torgue said.

We're soooo far from just "butt jokes" like you're implying.

Last edited:

Doom85

You do you, but I remember 2 pretty damn well and it resorted to dick/fart/etc. jokes plenty while TftB rarely resorted to that. I remember that clearly.

Raven117

The movement and gunplay are vastly improved. Which is awesome.

The writing is not great. It feels like it is trying to be edgy, but what they are saying really isn’t. It’s the same joke, over and over. (Oh, man, this is balls crazy! But then.... it isn’t). It’s an “offensive” game that’s not offensive.

I had a giggle here and there, but really..... it’s starting to grate on my nerves.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
cool. and hows that unreal 4 engine shines or not so much ?, i saw in videos ground is still flat with those stones just flat there too , i mean we can have so much bump maped and tesselated ground surface this gen and in this game we still have that same BL2 style ground surface ?
Thats because of the art style....

Codes 208

Yup. Found the Rick and Morty easter egg last night.

The ragdoll physics in this game is buggy but in an amazingly hilarious way at times. I got launched into space after being smacked by a psycho during that BR segment.

My personal favorite was Jack’s Violin for ‘Mordecai’s stupid bird’ bit.

Mr. Torgue is also pretty funny but for me a lot of humor comes from that I cant unhear him as Mr. Satan from DBZ (same VA)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
How is the standard PS4 version?
My wife is playing the standard PS4 version and hasn't complained. Next to my pro version it is obviously running 30 or less.

BTW, this game has the worst aliasing I have ever seen in a PS4 game, playing it in performance mode at 4k is :messenger_poop: . Its worse than PUBG. Gearbox is using no anti-aliasing.

Sometimes the humor is just too cringe. For instance, the whole thing involving Rhys and Katagawa was unbeareble.

But sometimes the jokes do land and i laugh out loud.

Like when i placed the robot teddy bear in the robot's crotch. Or when Tyreen randomly kept calling me a sellout gun slut on the comms.

TFBL had one of the greatest moments ever in gaming history. I like both but the finger gun scene was goddamn brilliant.

I legit laughed when you beat that douche main and it gives you "To be continued in Borderlands 4..." screen haha was about to break the keyboard :messenger_ok:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I’ve never played Borderlands but the sales hype is getting to me... I’m trying to figure out what game is closest to this in style that I have played to figure out whether I’d like it

- Far Cry - destroy enemies, capture checkpoints, but has more meaty story
- Crackdown - destroy enemies, capture checkpoints, earn skillpoints, comparable amount of story
- Bulletstorm - destroy enemies and environment, proceed linearly to next checkpoint, less story
- Red Faction Guerilla - destroy enemies and environment, capture checkpoints, comparable amount of story

Am I on the right path with these?

I loved RFG and Far Cry (until I got bored with my second one), found Bulletstorm entertaining enough but quite hollow, and was bored mindless with Crackdown.

Lesleyy

Neo Member
My wife is playing the standard PS4 version and hasn't complained. Next to my pro version it is obviously running 30 or less.

BTW, this game has the worst aliasing I have ever seen in a PS4 game, playing it in performance mode at 4k is :messenger_poop: . Its worse than PUBG. Gearbox is using no anti-aliasing.

Love the game but yeah can confirm, edges look like dogshit.

I just finished the
brain guy
boss fight and wow what a performance crash. The game would literally freeze about every 10 seconds during the fight. On X by the way.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I’ve never played Borderlands but the sales hype is getting to me... I’m trying to figure out what game is closest to this in style that I have played to figure out whether I’d like it

- Crackdown - destroy enemies, capture checkpoints, earn skillpoints, comparable amount of story
- Bulletstorm - destroy enemies and environment, proceed linearly to next checkpoint, less story
- Red Faction Guerilla - destroy enemies and environment, capture checkpoints, comparable amount of story

I loved RFG and Far Cry (until I got bored with my second one), found Bulletstorm entertaining enough but quite hollow, and was bored mindless with Crackdown.
None of those games are even remotely close lol. Borderlands is closer to diablo, in fact it IS Diablo with guns.

Play diablo 3 and imagine it is a first person shooter and you will have the closest thing to Borderlands.

And for those that will complain Destiny != Borderlands.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

If you were to go through just the story and end there it would be closer to Bulletstorm with out the environmental destruction . You can break apart certain things but you're not going to destroy a city during gameplay. You go from mission to mission gaining levels , better skills and weapons with a decent amount of story.

As stated above though this is very close to Diablo with guns and is very loot/build focused and as such the game really starts when you beat the story and hit level cap . At this point the loop is : Go kill things to get loot to go kill bigger things to get better loot which allows you to kill even bigger things to get even better loot which you can use to kill the biggest things to get the best loot and then it kinda becomes how fast and efficiently you can kill the biggest things .

Tygeezy

I used the hardware unboxed optimization guide for "performance" and went from 63 fps average with a mix of high and medium to 71(13% increase) at 1440p. Hardware unboxed had a lot of ultra settings for non taxing settings. It was nice to not have to test every setting individually.

FyShPQt.jpg

Top Bottom