• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bowe Bergdahl charged with Desertion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember Bergdahl, who US brought back after giving up 5 taliban members? well he is being charged for desertation

http://abcnews.go.com/International/bowe-bergdahl-charged-desertion-lawyer/story?id=29901602

American soldier and former Taliban captive Bowe Bergdahl has been charged with desertion for allegedly walking off his post in Afghanistan in 2009, Bergdahl's attorney told ABC News today.

Bergdahl was freed after five years in Taliban captivity in a controversial deal last year in which the U.S. agreed to release five mid- to high-level Taliban figures from detention in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

President Obama called it a "good day" when Bergdahl was freed, but critics, including some high-ranking Republicans, loudly denounced the deal, likening it to negotiating with terrorists. Also, lawmakers complained that Congress had not been consulted about the exchange, as they said the law requires.

After Bergdahl's dramatic return to the U.S., the Army launched an investigation into whether the soldier willfully left his post in Afghanistan before he was taken by the Taliban in 2009, as some Afghan war veterans alleged.

statham

well he did walk off his post, but I would think 5 years of prisonment by the Taliban would be penalty enough, maybe it'll just be a star next to his name? no prison time?

Is there a chance this is only to boot him from the army? Surely they wouldn't be idiotic and psychotic enough to put him in prison right?... Right?

Coins

Banned
Good. He should go to jail. He left his post. He gave an oath and there should be serious repercussions for breaking it.

I dunno....I mean, I get it...but hasn't he gone through punishment enough?

Yeah man...lets just let him get on with his life. Ever after multiple people were killed as a direct result of his actions....I mean, he learned his lesson right.

Grym

Yeah man...lets just let him get on with his life. Ever after multiple people were killed as a direct result of his actions....I mean, he learned his lesson right.

And he was taken and tortured by the enemy for years.

I understand the call of punishment. Maybe a dishonorable discharge or whatever. But I still go back and forth because he has been punished - and quite severely - for his actions (maybe not officially by us yet which is why I waver). He was kept in cruel and unusual punishment and tortured by the enemy already so I'm not sure what else is needed to "stick it too him and teach him a lesson" or whatever you're looking for.

Coins

Banned

I understand the call of punishment. Maybe a dishonorable discharge or whatever. But I still go back and forth because he has been punished - and quite severely - for his actions (maybe not officially by us yet which is why I waver). He was kept in cruel and unusual punishment and tortured by the enemy already so I'm not sure what else is needed to "stick it too him and teach him a lesson" or whatever you're looking for.

If I rob a bank, and get shot and paralyzed on my attempt to escape, no one will care. I'll still be charged and punished as usual.

Again, people died as a result of what he did.

If you purposefully violate your 5th general order, the military will have no sympathy for you.

If I rob a bank, and get shot and paralyzed on my attempt to escape, no one will care. I'll still be charged and punished as usual.

Again, people died as a result of what he did.

Yea, I said it then and I'll say it again: I have zero sympathy for the guy. He willingly left his post and deserted.

I'm glad he got charged. No way should we be pretending like this guy was proudly serving and was then captured.

Do I think he will get jail time? Of course not. But he should be charged, convicted and dishonorably discharged.

Whether he deserted or not really isn't relevant. He is an American soldier and had not been convicted of a crime. It was the duty of the military to bring him home. If he is convicted then let the punishment fit the crime.

Charge him and send him to trial.

If found guilty he should be punished as is standard. Not that crazy.

Edit: I'm not a judge or Jury though, so who am I to say what should happen.

antonz

Deserves to rot in Jail but will likely be quietly kicked out with a Dishonorable Discharge because of politics.

After all he "served with honor and distinction" and all that bullshit from the White House.

benjipwns

Banned
Deserves to rot in Jail but will likely be quietly kicked out with a Dishonorable Discharge because of politics.

After all he "served with honor and distinction" and all that bullshit from the White House.
Politwoops-Bergdahl-deletions-800.jpg

antonz

https://horseradish.s3.amazonaws.com/CACHE/images/photos/cd/1a/ab0815f94147/Politwoops-Bergdahl-deletions-800.jpg

Stupidity all around doesn't make it any less stupidity. It was documented from the get go he was a likely deserter who locals even commented on a wandering soldier asking to be directed to the Taliban.

Can be happy he is home but there is no reason to be trying to paint the man as some sort of hero when he is facing serious accusations of treason among other things. It was a Rah Rah Rah moment that backfired because the guy is scum

SURGEdude

If he did actually desert his post willingly and got people killed he should get a dishonorable discharge and removal of benefits. I'm not sure about getting locked up though. Assuming he didn't want to join with the enemy of course.

Desertion's going to be tough to prove, and there's the mitigating factor of his time spent with the Taliban (although, that's only for the sentencing case). On the other hand, it seems a pretty open and shut AWOL case.

For reference, it's the "intent to remain away permanently" element in art. 85 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice that's going to be difficult.

Velcro Fly

More proof that Susan Rice is a fucking moron and no one should believe a word she says.

Served with honor and distinction? Yeah let's ask the people that served with him how they feel about that.

ramuh

If desertion is proven then his ass needs to serve a lot of jail time. His rescue attempt cost American lives. 6 American Lives.

I dunno....I mean, I get it...but hasn't he gone through punishment enough?

The Army doesn't give a fuck about that. He broke a cardinal rule and other soldier's lives were lost because of him. They want, metaphorically speaking, blood.

The question I still want answered is why he freaking did it?

From what I've read he just left the base, came into contact with some locals and was eventually captured. Like what the hell was he thinking?

I think he'll be convicted and then pardoned. Everyone gets a little bit of what they want that way and you don't trade 5 members of enemy leadership just to let someone sit in a cell. At the end of the play everyone will clap and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom