• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serial Season 2 - Focused on Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl - CPM Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCX

Huh. Have any of you engaged with Serial as a Multimedia Project? Even in Season 1 I barely spent time on the website with all the maps and stuff. Personally I'm only really interested in Serial as Podcast.

Not really. That's probably why i found the Jinx so boring and haven't watched MaM - True Crime isn't interesting enough to watch, but it's just fine for a commute or while at the gym. There are very few podcasts that I would watch as a TV show. Even the old TAL TV series wasn't that great.

Order the three programs you referred to were produced:
1) Making a Murderer (~2005)
2) The Jinx (~2012)
3) Serial (~2013)

Thanks for the correction. My focus on broadcast or release date obviously doesn't paint an accurate picture. Perhaps it would be better to rephrase it as the popularity of the latter two being influenced by Serial.

EDIT: Never mind. I found the answer to my question regarding the fifth episode.

Jakoo

While I can understand while this season has less mass-appeal, I'm enjoying this season of Serial. It almost feels like the first season of Games of Thrones--how one seemingly impulsive maneuver puts into action all of these gigantic machines. The only thing tangible missing is Sarah not having a direct line to Bowe--Sarah was almost a character in Season 1 and was very hands on with the reporting, where in this she seems more on the fringe of the events. Perhaps she eventually will.

I would be curious the numbers with regards to this compared to Season 1 though. I feel like the mind-share of Serial have diminished significantly, and I feel like I am the only person listening to this season as to last where all of my friends listening. I wouldn't be surprised if Season 3 pivoted back to true crime, if only to reengage wide interest in the series.

While I can understand while this season has less mass-appeal, I'm enjoying this season of Serial. It almost feels like the first season of Games of Thrones--how one seemingly impulsive maneuver puts into action all of these gigantic machines. The only thing tangible missing is Sarah not having a direct line to Bowe--Sarah was almost a character in Season 1 and was very hands on with the reporting, where in this she seems more on the fringe of the events. Perhaps she eventually will.

it feels VERY reminiscent of Cormac McCarthy's plotlines and thematic tension. Cormac often deals in the aftermath of these decisions. See 'No Country for Old Men' and Llewelyn's midnight decision to head back to the shoot-out; See Culla's infanticide and Rinthy's journey in 'Outer Dark', the kid famously doesn't shoot The Judge in 'Blood Meridian' and pays for it, etc etc.

As an outsider to nearly all of the military, this season has been a really interesting delve into its structures, and particularly how a really dumb fucking decision by a soldier plays out over the course of years. I can easily see why people don't like it though.

oti

Banned
It isn't like Season 1 and yet I'm always looking forward to my long walks listening to the newest episode. I can't listen to it any other way, I want to give it my full attention.

Slacker

This week's episode was very interesting. I've never read anything about the efforts to get him back and all the back and forth involved. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough information regarding this case to sustain my interest but I was obviously way off. It looks like there's a ton to dig in to.

This week's episode was very interesting. I've never read anything about the efforts to get him back and all the back and forth involved. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough information regarding this case to sustain my interest but I was obviously way off. It looks like there's a ton to dig in to.

I definitely agree that the latest episode was quite interesting and played a really important role in expanding the scope of the story. At the same time, however, while the content is quite interesting, the additional week between the episodes really killed some of the momentum of the series for me. While it is good we'll seemingly be getting more content as a result of it, it makes me more strongly consider just waiting for all of the remaining episodes to be released and listening to it then when there isn't such a sizeable gap between the episodes.

aerts1js

Man, this season is just the worst. I gave it the benefit of the doubt (as seen by my posts in this thread) but I'm listening to Episode 5 right now and damn, there's just way too much "can't say about this... can't tell you about this..etc" what's even the point.

I definitely agree that the latest episode was quite interesting and played a really important role in expanding the scope of the story. At the same time, however, while the content is quite interesting, the additional week between the episodes really killed some of the momentum of the series for me. While it is good we'll seemingly be getting more content as a result of it, it makes me more strongly consider just waiting for all of the remaining episodes to be released and listening to it then when there isn't such a sizeable gap between the episodes.

Agreed. I really like getting weekly installments of a story, but bi-weekly is just a bit too long.

I wish that they'd just followed their original airing plan, and then released a "special" episode later on.

Man, this season is just the worst. I gave it the benefit of the doubt (as seen by my posts in this thread) but I'm listening to Episode 5 right now and damn, there's just way too much "can't say about this... can't tell you about this..etc" what's even the point.
Really? I thought episode 5 was the best yet.

I agree there was a lot of "and then thing-I-can't-reveal happened," but I feel like that's just the nature of covering a story like this. And it never felt as if there were huge chunks of the story missing, just little things here and there.

Vyer

Been only so so on the new season so far, but the last episode was really fascinating. I expect certain attitudes from internet comments sections when it comes to people captured over there, but I was more surprised to hear how prevalent it is in the infrastructure that would be involved in finding these people.

aerts1js

Agreed. I really like getting weekly installments of a story, but bi-weekly is just a bit too long.

I wish that they'd just followed their original airing plan, and then released a "special" episode later on.

Really? I thought episode 5 was the best yet.

I agree there was a lot of "and then thing-I-can't-reveal happened," but I feel like that's just the nature of covering a story like this. And it never felt as if there were huge chunks of the story missing, just little things here and there.

I may have to re-listen to it, but by the third or fourth "we can't tell you the details" mention I pretty much checked out.

SuperPac

I'm a firm believer in delayed gratification, but I have to agree that every other week is hurting this season's momentum.

Yeah. It doesn't work well for Serial. I'll probably still listen but it's too easy to forget everything from the previous episode when there's 14 days between.

General Dahl, whose report formed the basis for the Army’s prosecution, also said that no troops died specifically searching for Sergeant Bergdahl and that no evidence was found to support claims that he intended to walk to China or India or that he was a Taliban sympathizer.

The right-wing media have constantly stated the opposite. We've heard from members of the military who have said otherwise. Of course, I expect some segments of the media to vilify him, but where is this information coming from only to be contradicted by the prosecution itself?

Just in case people haven't heard, Serial Season 2 will now also contain an update to Season 1 daily (the source of this is in the first update), in relation to Adnan Syed's hearing.The first update, available today/now, is about fifteen minutes long. The next episode of season 2 is also out.

santi_yo

Just in case people haven't heard, Serial Season 2 will now also contain an update to Season 1 daily (the source of this is in the first update), in relation to Adnan Syed's hearing.The first update, available today/now, is about fifteen minutes long. The next episode of season 2 is also out.

Nice! I'm still interested in Adnan Syed's case.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So I guess Serial saw a massive drop off in listeners and put the second season on hold while they cover Adnan's case again:

http://observer.com/2016/02/serial-...2-on-hold-to-dive-back-into-adnan-syeds-case/

Haha, great, I haven't listened since the first ep back from the holidays.

It's just not a super interesting story.

Podcasts need to be like Rashomon, where every side tells a conflicting story and the truth is unknowable. Bergdahl wandered off base and was captured, and now his life is shitty because of the political climate. Is anyone disputing why he wandered off base? Not really. Is anyone saying that he was "turned" or was suggesting he was "a spy"? Nope. Is his current situation partly political, but ultimately within the scope of desertion? Sure.

I would listen to a 60-120 minute "This American Life" about Bergdahl, but it's really unsuited towards trying to be a weekly thing with twists and turns. There's no carrot to keep me coming back, because it's just not a mystery.

Where does it say that Serial saw a massive drop off in listeners or is that something you just made up? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised...season 2 is just.. wow, so freakin bad.

That's my insinuation based on personal experience -- I have a lot of friends/family who haven't listened to season 2 because it's not as interesting to them.

Podcasts need to be like Rashomon, where every side tells a conflicting story and the truth is unknowable. Bergdahl wandered off base and was captured, and now his life is shitty because of the political climate. Is anyone disputing why he wandered off base? Not really. Is anyone saying that he was "turned" or was suggesting he was "a spy"? Nope. Is his current situation partly political, but ultimately within the scope of desertion? Sure.

I would listen to a 60-120 minute "This American Life" about Bergdahl, but it's really unsuited towards trying to be a weekly thing with twists and turns. There's no carrot to keep me coming back, because it's just not a mystery.

Yeah, I don't really get what this season is trying to achieve. S1 had a clear goal -- did Adnan kill his girlfriend. S2 can't be boiled down so simply. I like it because it's interesting to hear his story, but it certainly doesn't have the hook that S1 had.

aerts1js

I agree, season 2 would make a really good one episode (two at most) This American Life episode.. but, it just doesn't work as a full season on serial. I think this thread is evidence of that, really not many posters at all compared to the first season.

SummitAve

Banned

It's not super interesting to you because you've already got all the answers apparently. The podcast has posed the same questions, and clearly came to a different conclusion. There is a lot more going on than what can be summed up with nope and sure. You're like the hardline military characters who may ultimately decide the fate of the rest of his life who refuse to consider the situation other than what is on the surface, even though it's very obvious that those conclusions don't come close to telling the whole story.

They are covering Adnan's case again because there are ongoing post-conviction relief hearings regarding the competence of his lawyer during the trial and omitted alibi testimony from a girl he went to high school with.

Yeah, I get that, but it seems premature. How much more is there to report at this moment aside from what you've just said?

I agree, season 2 would make a really good one episode (two at most) This American Life episode.. but, it just doesn't work as a full season on serial. I think this thread is evidence of that, really not many posters at all compared to the first season.

I just find the story rather boring to be honest. I stopped listening after the first couple of episodes.

SummitAve

Banned
Yeah, I get that, but it seems premature. How much more is there to report at this moment aside from what you've just said?

Sounds like she is going to be giving day by day updates from the proceedings. So how much there is to report depends on the future, which nobody really knows.

SuperPac

What I liked most about Serial S1 were the interviews and stories of people who were involved with the case. Yes reported by Sarah as the observer but there was a distance between her and the story.

Sarah calling into Dana about what happened in the courtroom is different. It's about her at the hearing. And it doesn't have the same appeal.

aerts1js

I just finished the latest episode.. I have to admit, it wasn't terrible. Maybe the best of the season and I, at least, have an ounce of curiosity for the next.

daveo42

Banned
Have yet to listen to the newest episode, but that updated from season 1 was thrilling even if it was just some basic info. Glad they are doing a follow-up based on the new events happening surrounding the current proceedings.

Sounds like she is going to be giving day by day updates from the proceedings. So how much there is to report depends on the future, which nobody really knows.

Yup, that's what I got from it too. Not sure how long this will last, but today should be the prosecution's crack at Asia to try and discredit her (or at least her memory) of that day. These short daily updates have me excited.

Gigglepoo

It's fascinating to hear how disorganized, incompetent, and downright reckless the US Army was in Afghanistan. Serial was never supposed to be a murder-mystery podcast. Rather, it looks at a complicated issue from multiple sides. It's incredible to me to hear from soldiers what was actual going on in Afghanistan.

I'm still listening to S2, but I really don't find it all that interesting. That said, though, I think S2 is probably closer to being what the show was originally intended to be (long-form This American Life stories), and I wouldn't be surprised if all future seasons are more like it than S1. I highly doubt they anticipated S1 to be as popular as it was.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It's not super interesting to you because you've already got all the answers apparently. The podcast has posed the same questions, and clearly came to a different conclusion. There is a lot more going on than what can be summed up with nope and sure. You're like the hardline military characters who may ultimately decide the fate of the rest of his life who refuse to consider the situation other than what is on the surface, even though it's very obvious that those conclusions don't come close to telling the whole story.

Season 1 would be a lot more boring if Adnan admitted guilt and the podcast was niggling over the terms of his incarceration.

ReAxion

This was a good episode. Bowe remains an idiot.
KuGsj.gif

Demoskinos

I think S2 has been interesting in its own right. It doesn't have to be a big whodunnit.

Yeah, that's the thing. I think Season One was such a big hit because it had that mystery whodunnit aspect to it that drove a lot of watercooler conversation. I think a lot of people expected that again. Because most of the information about Berghdhal has already been exposed by the mainstream media already since the events of his case are playing out in real time.

What I find interesting about Season 2 is trying to just get a handle on what makes Bergdhal tick. I've had back and forths constantly this season thinking man this guy is a scum bag then... oh wait well.. maybe he has a point here. Its less about what happened itself and more about what makes Bergdhal tick as a person. Which may resonate less with some people.

border

I think a lot of people view Season 1 with rose-colored nostalgia glasses anyway. There were a lot of episodes that were pointless and went nowhere. A lot of what got you hooked was because Koening simply didn't address crucial information in early episodes and withheld stuff until mid or late season. It seemed like a bigger mystery because it was intentionally made a mystery.

If she had gone straight to Jay's testimony instead of doing bullshit like investigating the pervert that found the body or trying to see how long the drive from the school to Best Buy takes, then you would have actually gotten bored pretty quick.

JCX

I think a lot of people view Season 1 with rose-colored nostalgia glasses anyway. There were a lot of episodes that were pointless and went nowhere. A lot of what got you hooked was because Koening simply didn't address crucial information in early episodes and withheld stuff until mid or late season. It seemed like a bigger mystery because it was intentionally made a mystery.

If she had gone straight to Jay's testimony instead of doing bullshit like investigating the pervert that found the body or trying to see how long the drive from the school to Best Buy takes, then you would have actually gotten bored pretty quick.

Disagree. A lot of good storytelling withholds information until later on in the story, it isn't something specific to Serial season 1. There were some more aimless episodes, but it all worked to flesh out the world and supporting characters.

The largest issues with S2 are 1) Sarah doesn't talk to Bo, so you don't get the kind of connection like Sarah/Adnan 2) Bo's story is well known, while Adnan's wasn't.

S2 feels like they wanted to cover the Afghan war and needed a good entry point. The most interesting stuff so far has been the structural examination of the military, not the particulars of Bo's story.

border

Disagree. A lot of good storytelling withholds information until later on in the story, it isn't something specific to Serial season 1. There were some more aimless episodes, but it all worked to flesh out the world and supporting characters.

The largest issues with S2 are 1) Sarah doesn't talk to Bo, so you don't get the kind of connection like Sarah/Adnan 2) Bo's story is well known, while Adnan's wasn't.

A lot of the S2 criticism has been, "Oh well if I did the research I could have learned all of this on my own anyway". That kind of ignores the fact that if you had done independent research, then you could have learned most of S1 as well. I certainly won't deny that S1 was a lot more exciting and engaging because of the uncertainty of the case, but a lot of its appeal was still found in pointless experiments and withholding already-discovered information.

S2 feels like they wanted to cover the Afghan war and needed a good entry point. The most interesting stuff so far has been the structural examination of the military, not the particulars of Bo's story.

agree wholeheartedly, and I kinda like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom