• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid, Anniversary Edition is coming to Nintendo Switch on 30/04/2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
Manipulate the flow of time to rescue the princess in this classic puzzle-platformer. Braid, Anniversary Edition comes to #NintendoSwitch 30/04/2024! #IndieWorld

Since the OP is making it seem as though this is Switch-only:

Braid, Anniversary Edition will be released on April 30, 2024, for Windows, PlayStation, Xbox, and on iOS and Android for Netflix subscribers.

F-6TXV_WQAAM6Nt

Last edited:
Yup. More money for Jonathan Blow.

What's he working on since the witness? Anyone know?
Looks like he wants to make some kind of giant, episodic non-puzzle game.

From Wikipedia:
In 2013, Blow began making a prototype for a single-player game that was not a puzzle game.[69] In 2018, Blow said the game had 40–50 hours of playable content. He intends for Thekla to make the game using the game engine being developed for the Sokoban game, once it has matured. He plans to work on the game for 20 years, releasing it in installments. Each installment will make the game larger and more complex.[70] Blow noted one of his goals for the project is to expand his design abilities.[71]

Last edited:

damidu

apparently anniversary edition has a whole new world as well, together with 4k art update on current gen.
hyped

Hudo

What's he working on since the witness? Anyone know?
On his own new programming language, JAI, that doesn't do anything differently than others like Zig, Rust or modern C++ already try to do. Ironically, he once complained about how "modern devs" don't get shit done because they waste time on tools. Which is exactly what he's doing.

But hey, if it's fun for him, that's good.

damidu

On his own new programming language, JAI, that doesn't do anything differently than others like Zig, Rust or modern C++ already try to do. Ironically, he once complained about how "modern devs" don't get shit done because they waste time on tools. Which is exactly what he's doing.

But hey, if it's fun for him, that's good.
dude is such a waste.
first he wasted 7 years to create a whole new engine for witness, a game with a completely static map, which looks like you can easily replicate in ue or even unity in a fraction of that time.
now he is building whole new language for a decade for god knows what reason.

he is basically "a great puzzle game once a decade" guy at this point. and considering the age, probably only has 1-2 more games left in him.

but you are right, he probably enjoys working on these stuff more than game making.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Jonathon Blow is such a sell out.
I'm sure the game is just as pretentious now as it was back in the day. "Oh look, there's goombas with hair--" fuck you, Jonathan Blow.
He's a smart guy, but he's ego makes him really insufferable. He's more of a tech guy than a designer, and it shows -- there's nothing innovative or special about his games.

Plus, I'll never forget how he, Fez guy and the Super Meat Boy dude treated this japanese game developer.

Hudo

first he wasted 7 years to create a whole new engine for witness, a game with a completely static map, which looks like you can easily replicate in ue or even unity in a fraction of that time.
That's actually a good point. I agree that you could pull off The Witness using something like Unity or UE4. But he seems like a guy who really is caught up in "not invented here" syndrome that some programmers have (you usually grow out of it after university, when you have to get shit done and can't fuck around anymore)

Last edited:
What does the anniversary edition come with? I liked braid for what it was, regardless of the blow drama. Hell, even my gf was enamored with the game's time control gimmick. Not sure why the guy has an ego, but I tend to be the same way when coding my stuff, so if thats his thing, so be it.

cireza

He's a smart guy, but he's ego makes him really insufferable. He's more of a tech guy than a designer, and it shows -- there's nothing innovative or special about his games.

Plus, I'll never forget how he, Fez guy and the Super Meat Boy dude treated this japanese game developer.

Never saw this video until today. Honestly, this is very harsh for the poor Japanese guy who was asking his question very respectfully and I feel super bad for him. They should have anwsered in a much more polite manner for sure.

However, as harsh as the response can be, I fully agree with it. The details given by the second person are all 100% verified : infinite hand-holding and tutorials, tons of discussion you cannot skip. And a sense of discovery that is simply not there as everything is constantly being laid out in front of the player. This applies to a vast majority of Japanese games, and I was playing Persona 5 Tactica (completed the game for a review) and you still get this kind of design. But you can skip text ! That's a good thing. You still get something like 10 battles of tutorial lol. A game like Brigandine (Japanase game) has 0 tutorial and its depth is 10 times greater than Persona 5 Tactica. Shiren games also come to mind, all tutorial is optional, infinite depth, excellent series.

Thankfully some progress has been made and many games now let you play more quickly, skip more things and the sense of discovery came back a little bit. Zelda being an example that trully evolved, and they insist on Zelda, probably thinking of Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword. So it is not 100% black or white, and that's good.

The Cuphead (Western game) tutorial explaining how to jump, with the reviewer failing during something like 5 minutes at it, also comes to mind.

Last edited:

Porticus

Never saw this video until today. Honestly, this is very harsh for the poor Japanese guy who was asking his question very respectfully and I feel super bad for him. They should have anwsered in a much more polite manner for sure.

However, as harsh as the response can be, I fully agree with it. The details given by the second person are all 100% verified : infinite hand-holding and tutorials, tons of discussion you cannot skip. And a sense of discovery that is simply not there as everything is constantly being laid out in front of the player. This applies to a vast majority of Japanese games, and I was playing Persona 5 Tactica (completed the game for a review) and you still get this kind of design. But you can skip text ! That's a good thing. You still get something like 10 battles of tutorial lol. A game like Brigandine (Japanase game) has 0 tutorial and its depth is 10 times greater than Persona 5 Tactica. Shiren games also come to mind, all tutorial is optional, infinite depth, excellent series.

Thankfully some progress has been made and many games now let you play more quickly, skip more things and the sense of discovery came back a little bit. Zelda being an example that trully evolved, and they insist on Zelda, probably thinking of Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword. So it is not 100% black or white, and that's good.

The Cuphead (Western game) tutorial explaining how to jump, with the reviewer failing during something like 5 minutes at it, also comes to mind.

I'm sorry but thats so fucking BS.

Handholding, tutorials and discussions?

Sounds like a retarded racing game, fps, action game from the West from the past 10+ years, these guys were simply delusional and deeply offensive towards a Japanese colleague of them, simply embarassing.

He should lick the boots of those Japanese developers because otherwise he wouldn't made Braid in his entire life and lived under a fucking bridge.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
infinite hand-holding and tutorials, tons of discussion you cannot skip. And a sense of discovery that is simply not there as everything is constantly being laid out in front of the player. This applies to a vast majority of Japanese games, and I was playing Persona 5 Tactica (completed the game for a review) and you still get this kind of design. But you can skip text ! That's a good thing. You still get something like 10 battles of tutorial lol.
Curious how those games got more attention in the west when they started doing that, isn‘t it?

Remember how so many Japanese games were the epitome of obscurity and abstruseness in the past, and how many of those… never left Japan? :messenger_winking:

It’s almost like Japanese devs have a reason to assume western players are a bit dumb. Which of course is unthinkable for a nerdy western game developer who grew up with abstruse Japanese games. Those guys will never suspect that “why cant Metroid crawl” may not be a deliberate troll.

cireza

Remember how so many Japanese games were the epitome of obscurity and abstruseness in the past
If we look back in the past, Western games were always much more difficult to get into.

But because of how Western games were made, there was a lot more room for possible things to happen and ending up with a very unique playthrough. Whereas every player will get pretty much the same experience with Japanese games.

This is of course a generalization (I have myself listed exceptions in my previous post), thinking mainly of adventure and role playing games. At least that's what I get from my personal experience.

I want to list another exception to this, by the way. Phantasy Star II and III. Both games offer some good choices. In II, you can pick your characters and make the team you want. You can tackle some parts of the game in the order you want. In III, you get branching story lines over three generations. The result is that each player gets his own story in a way. Then comes Phantasy Star IV, an absolute master-piece of gameplay and execution. But it is linear. Every player gets the same characters at the same moment and has the exact same experience. 20 to 30 years later, I see myself replaying II and III, but I never feel any urge to replay IV. A lot of Western RPGs actually feel like PS II and III. Even though they are much more difficult to get into. They didn't care about handholding the player, it was up to him to eventually figure things out. The goal first and foremost was the setting and possibilities. Different design, for sure.

Maybe that Japanese developers/publishers were reluctant on releasing games perceived as "too complicated for dumb Western gamers", but it certainly didn't stop Western developers to make hugely complicated games with tons of possibilities and outcomes, and obscure systems. And many were great games.

Last edited:
This was a good game and ushered in a new era for indie games from what I remembered. I've no idea why they announced this 6 months before release. I thought anyone that cared had already played it 15 years ago.

calistan

Curious how those games got more attention in the west when they started doing that, isn‘t it?

Remember how so many Japanese games were the epitome of obscurity and abstruseness in the past, and how many of those… never left Japan? :messenger_winking:

It’s almost like Japanese devs have a reason to assume western players are a bit dumb. Which of course is unthinkable for a nerdy western game developer who grew up with abstruse Japanese games. Those guys will never suspect that “why cant Metroid crawl” may not be a deliberate troll.
Isn't there a secret star in Braid that requires the player to wait at a particular point in a level for about two hours? Perhaps that's J Blow's pithy comment on the dumbness of gamers in general.

Top Bottom