• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wire - New Platforms, New Players: Four Fan-Favorite Xbox Games Coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony Platforms

FrankWza

eYmre2g.jpg
No self respecting rat uses Duracell. You know it's eneloop all day er day

sachos

I've seen a lot of people thinking that "hey if they port it 1 year later its fine" and i'm not sure that line of thinking holds. If you think about it from a Playstation player point of view that means you really have to only wait 1 year and after that you start getting Xbox AND Playstation games every year, just offseted by 1 year for Xbox's games.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

Call of Duty?
"The game engine that powers Warzone is mature and has been optimized to run on a wide range of hardware devices (ranging from the Xbox One console released in 2015 up to the Xbox Series X)," part of the filing reads. "Warzone supports PC hardware with GPU cards that were released as far back as 2015 (i.e., prior to the release of Nintendo Switch in 2017)."
Excited Best Wishes GIF

This is why dude wouldn't name the names of the games in that podcast? A tweet? "We will let the games decide how to announce" or whatever he said, and it was ultimately just a generic tweet.

Ozriel

M$FT
It doesn't bother me. You two just came to mind because I see your names in my notifications on a regular basis.

If you didn't say that, you can ignore that particular comment.

But clearly this news evokes a strong emotional response.
That's why I was wondering how you deal with this.

What ‘news’? There’s nothing new in this press release that wasn’t already discussed at the podcast.

They’ve reiterated Gamepass continuing on and Xbox lining up a next gen console. That works out quite well for me indeed.

since you kept insisting that it won't be big titles, while this is the second time Xbox pretty much said that all games are on the table.

that’s one overly optimistic way to read that statement, I suppose.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t play any of those games but being exclusive is weird it really is it’s apart of an old tradition.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This announcement tells us 3 important things:
  1. The narrative that "Xbox preponed their announcement from Spring because of the leaks" was obviously false. Pentiment is releasing on Switch and PS tomorrow. They were always meant to follow this timeline. I'm more confident than before that those were all controlled, intentional leaks by Microsoft to soften the blow.
  2. All 4 announced games will be released within the next 70 days. There's no way those are the only ports they've planned for this year. Otherwise, they'd have spread them out more.
  3. "And as we shared at Developer_Direct, earlier this year, players can look forward to Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II, Avowed, Indiana Jones and the Great Circle and more on Xbox Series X|S, PC, Xbox Cloud Gaming, and Xbox Game Pass this year." The wording here has no mention of exclusivity, implying all these games can come on other platforms later.
Hell, even the post Xbox did today didn't mention exclusivity.

Interesting....

Stuart360

As expected, no Hi Fi Rush on Switch. I know they tried, hence the image they dug out lasy month, but the game is harder to run than it looks. The fact it's not on Xbox One was a big hint.
Part of it is they want the game to be 60fps because it has a lot of pin point accuracy button presses. In fact i'm sure one of the devs even said that.
Plus cartoony graphics doesnt automatically mean a game can run on anyhting. The game throws around a lot of special effects.

I still think this is the beginning of the end for Microsoft consoles and not a smart move if they want to stay in the hardware business. This will most likely further damage their console sales. Just like how Sony started supporting PC’s which eventually grew and is now the expectation from gamers and same will probably apply here as well. If and I mean IF any of these XBOX games see mild success on other platforms, there will be more games coming and it will essentially make owning an XBox pointless IMO.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I still think this is the beginning of the end for Microsoft consoles and not a smart move if they want to stay in the hardware business. This will most likely further damage their console sales. Just like how Sony started supporting PC’s which eventually grew and is now the expectation from gamers and same will probably apply here as well. If and I mean IF any of these XBOX games see mild success on other platforms, there will be more games coming and it will essentially make owning an XBox pointless IMO.
Ive thought about this more than I would like, but I see 3rd party hardware as the most logical step for them.

Stuart360

I still think this is the beginning of the end for Microsoft consoles. This will just hurt their console sales even more. Just like how Sony started supporting PC’s which eventually grew and is now the expectation from gamers. If and I mean IF any of these XBOX games see mild success on other platforms, there will be more games coming and it will essentially make owning an XBox pointless.
People keep saying this about Xbox hardware, while MS themselves have basically announced next gen Xbox consoles. And Gamepass will be one of the hooks to buy an Xbox next gen, even if (and its far from certain) MS started porting all their games to Playstation.

Also consoles have changed over recent years. People are entrenched in their ecosystems now becuase they often have sometimes hundreds of games already. Xbox will never 'beat' Playstation in sales, and i doubt even Phil and Satya geuninely think they can (its more for console warriors). What MS want i'm sure is a big enough userbase to run a successful business.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
By the way, I don't think these games are gonna sell well.

1) They are so clumped together.
2) Who is gonna buy Pentiment or Hi-Fi Rush when PS5 players would be busy with Helldivers 2, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, and Dragon's Dogma 2.

Depends on their expectations. If hifi rush does 500k worldwide month one on PS5 at $30 that's great money for that game.

ToadMan

That's really not the game plan here. Game Pass is old story now for them. Not even Satya Nadella believes in that anymore.

They are after revenue. We'll even see some of these games on PS Plus Essential and Extra. Just like Bethesda's pretty much entire catalog is currently on PlayStation Plus Extra/Premium.

That is literally devaluing Game Pass's proposition and giving away its USP, but Microsoft doesn't care. They want money.

And I am fine with this. I'm more than happy for MS to try and make a real sustainable business from their gaming investment by selling their stuff wherever the customers are for a fair price.

Hi Fi and Pentiment are games I dabbled with on GP but never played much of.

On PS I'll buy Hi Fi and play it properly, Pentiment probably on Switch because its a reading heavy game so it's good for commutes.

I'll even take a look at SoT on PS.

I'm all for companies trying to make desirable products and putting them where I want to buy them so good on MS at last with this move. I hope this is a signal that MS is ready to become an asset to the videogame industry as a whole, and break away from the vanity side project xbox has been for a decade now.

StueyDuck

Let's be honest here, if the 4 (well mostly 3) industry wide rumors were correct this whole time, being hifi SoT and pentiment. Then we absolutely have to expect some of the others to be true too, at least the ones not from fanboys twitter influencers.

Where there's smoke there's fire as they say so I feel that starfield rumor which gained lots of traction is probably next. It's more a case of when now than if.

StueyDuck

2) Who is gonna buy Pentiment or Hi-Fi Rush when PS5 players would be busy with Helldivers 2, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, and Dragon's Dogma 2.
I think sea of thieves might do semi decent numbers but the rest won't move the needle.

Pentiment is an absolutely pointless port. But the 2 guys out there that buy it will be happy so that's at least a feel good story

Last edited:

Crayon

Hifi is a weird choice to start this off with. It was the pride and joy of fans for all 2023, and it's going to have to go to a market as a late port that is expected not to rent but actually sell among a massively stronger selection. Seems like a lose/lose. Maybe it does pretty good, though. As usual it depends on what they are expecting. Just doesn't make sense to me. Sot makes perfect sense.

Astray

Gold Member

I'm honestly amazed that they cut off Hifi Rush at the knees again by dropping it on PS5 with basically 0 promotion.

Game will almost surely flop again like this, but maybe that's what they want?

xHunter

Sea of Thieves is visible in the store now, couldnt find the others:

Its interesting that they publish it under Microsoft Corporation and not Xbox Games Studios.

Ribi

Damn now that I can buy these 4 games on one console it's time to buy a PS5. Big system sellers, microwave really dropped the ball here by not having them available on Xbox

Top Bottom