• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Breaking News] Peter Jackson is returning to produce the first of the new Middle-earth films [2026]

clarky

Gold Member
Dude got dealt a brutal hand and considering the circumstances it's a miracle the movies aren't 100 times more bad than they ended up being.

Peter Jackson is an incredible director. Plus this is just a producer gig, Andy Serkis is directing.
Yeah the Director of Venom 2............. this deal is getting worse all the time. Dude should stick to being an ape or a troll.

And yeah PJ has done some great films. Just the last 3 in this universe were shit.

Last edited:

Sonik

As long as we don't see that shit again:

fyvtc0jujxb21.gif

Smaug was even worse imo, every single scene with him felt like a Blizzard cinematic, I genuinely stop watching it as a movie and think of it just as videogame CGI

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Not sure I want this. What would the story actually even be? All the lotr stars are too old and I’m not sure there is anything really ready for new people’s.
Good point. I take it they are recasting Aragorn and Gandalf, or some de-aging CGI fuckery. It would be like recasting Luke Skywalker, the original actors are burned in everyone's minds, they nailed it first time round.

This is both a sequel to the Hobbit and a prequel to LOTR, very difficult to pull off knowing every single person on planet earth knows how it ends already.

As you can tell, very difficult for me to get excited about this, i'd love to be wrong though.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Smaug was even worse imo, every single scene with him felt like a Blizzard cinematic, I genuinely stop watching it as a movie and think of it just as videogame CGI
The goblin kingdom was the worst for me. I couldn't even tell what was happening.

Trogdor1123

It’s from the Appendices where Strider and Gandalf are tracking Gollum before he was captured by Mordor.

Jackson wanted to do it after King Kong but the drama with Christopher Tolkien and the estate killed it.
Sorry, I get that. I’m just wondering what the actual story will be? We know how this all plays out. It could be fine I guess. I just don’t this as the film pull lotr and the hobbit “together”

Sonik

That one felt like those funny youtube videos where they superimpose characters like Frank Drebin on videogame cutscenes. Honestly Peter Jackson has proved that he's a great director but also that he can be bullied by the Hollywood imbeciles to release monstrosities like the Hobbit so his role as a producer definitely doesn't inspire me with confidence

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Peter Jackson absolutely butchered the Hobbit. This doesn't fill me with confidence. Also, I wonder how they'll further shit on the legacy of Tolkien........

THE FIRST FILM LORD OF THE RINGS: THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM (*WT) WILL BE DIRECTED BY AND STAR LORD OF THE RINGS ALUMNI ANDY SERKIS

What the fuck is this shit!? The Hunt for fucking Gollum?!?! Is this a joke?

ManaByte

Gold Member
That one felt like those funny youtube videos where they superimpose characters like Frank Drebin on videogame cutscenes. Honestly Peter Jackson has proved that he's a great director but also that he can be bullied by the Hollywood imbeciles to release monstrosities like the Hobbit so his role as a producer definitely doesn't inspire me with confidence
After WB literally nearly killed him last time I’m pretty sure he has more freedom with this.

Oberstein

The Goblin King is my worst moment: nothing went right in the sequence.

If you expect the new movies to be more with practical effects like the original trilogy you got a disappointment upcoming mate.

Well... There's nothing truly epic about the search for Gollum, and I hope they don't insert a random dragon or Balrog out of nowhere. The fewer big battles there are, the more likely it is to be less messed up with CGI. And at least Weta is on board, they're still doing a good job last time I checked.

clarky

Gold Member
Peter Jackson absolutely butchered the Hobbit. This doesn't fill me with confidence. Also, I wonder how they'll further shit on the legacy of Tolkien........

THE FIRST FILM LORD OF THE RINGS: THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM (*WT) WILL BE DIRECTED BY AND STAR LORD OF THE RINGS ALUMNI AND VISONARY DIRECTOR OF VENOM 2 ANDY SERKIS

What the fuck is this shit!? The Hunt for fucking Gollum?!?! Is this a joke?
Fixed the blurb.

Spoiler: They don't find him.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Fixed the blurb.

Spoiler: They don't find him.
In the book they did. Gandalf enlisted the help of Aragorn to help track down Gollum. They found him, but only after Gollum had been captured, tortured and released by Sauron. After questioning him on his past with the ring, Gandalf had Aragorn take him to Mirkwood, where he was imprisoned for some time.

The elves would take him for walks in the woods. During a walk, orcs attacked Gollum's guards. He took advantage of the attack and escaped. That's why Legolas was at the Council of Elrond. To tell everyone that Gollum was free.

ManaByte

Gold Member
In the book they did. Gandalf enlisted the help of Aragorn to help track down Gollum. They found him, but only after Gollum had been captured, tortured and released by Sauron. After questioning him on his past with the ring, Gandalf had Aragorn take him to Mirkwood, where he was imprisoned for some time.

The elves would take him for walks in the woods. During a walk, orcs attacked Gollum's guards. He took advantage of the attack and escaped. That's why Legolas was at the Council of Elrond. To tell everyone that Gollum was free.
Sounds like enough story for a movie. Especially since Gandalf and Aragorn hunted him for eight years.

clarky

Gold Member

Sounds Riveting.

Saber

I honestly still have hopes for him. As long it's not on the same level as Hobbit and the human Disney family that I don't give a single fuck about, then I'm ok.
I just hope he take his sweet time producing theis one.

clarky

Gold Member
Sounds like enough story for a movie. Especially since Gandalf and Aragorn hunted him for eight years.
2 movies. Smells like a hobbit style disaster to me. What are the odd's of PJ being forced to take over half way through filming when it's going to shit?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Will watch for sure but I have absolutely zero hope for this to be on the same level of LOTR or anything close to it. LOTR was lightning in a bottle and can't be replicated especially in 2024+

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Theres so many epic books they can do and yet they choose the milking. We really are starved for creative and risky movies these days huh? Seems like indie movies just like games are dominating. The big names are just shallow shit.

This.

How many epic fantasy or sci-fi books are waiting for a big screen adaptation.

Instead, WB continue to piss on Tolkien's legacy.

ManaByte

Gold Member
2 movies. Smells like a hobbit style disaster to me. What are the odd's of PJ being forced to take over half way through filming when it's going to shit?
He didn’t have to take Serkis’ unit away from him on ROTK. Why would he do it here?

Oberstein

For those who don’t know what this is about, it’s from the Appendices.

In the book there’s a 17 year gap between Bilbo’s birthday party and Frodo leaving the Shire. Gandalf and Aragorn spend nearly a decade hunting Gollum during that time.

As there’s no 17 year gap in the movies they’ll shift it to right before Fellowship.

On this subject, they're in trouble if they want to be consistent with the first trilogy. They've compressed the chronology to death (not as much as in Rings of Power, though). In the books, there are plenty of moments where nothing happens, and years go by (Gandalf returning to see Frodo 17 years later).

It's even worse in the appendices, where brief actions are described between two periods when nothing happens.

So either the film is going to be faithful to the appendices, or they're going to do the same thing as the films and the chase of Gollum is going to last a few weeks/months.

Last edited:
You're seriously telling me it's going to be 20 years and Jackson still has not directed another non-Tolkien blockbuster? King Kong was good and seemed to point that this guy had more in him than just Tolkien adaptations, but so far, in the realm of blockbuster (Lovely Bones being a drama) nothing.

This guy was supposed to be "the next Spielberg", he was really propped as the inheritor to that throne and it's a shame most of that energy went nowhere.

Puscifer

True, he screwed up on The Hobbit.
But during production he got an ulcer and the studio made him do 3 films instead of 2. And on top of that he had too much money, which ended up making Legolas-Mario.
I think he's aware that his marvel is the first trilogy. Let's hope he learns from it.
Not to mention it took a home release to finally fix the fucked up digital effects

ManaByte

Gold Member
On this subject, they're in trouble if they want to be consistent with the first trilogy. They've compressed the chronology to death (not as much as in Rings of Power, though). In the books, there are plenty of moments where nothing happens, and years go by (Gandalf returning to see Frodo 17 years later).

It's even worse in the appendices, where brief actions are described between two periods when nothing happens.

So either the film is going to be faithful to the appendices, or they're going to do the same thing as the films and the chase of Gollum is going to last a few weeks/months.
They’ll just shift it to right before Fellowship begins. Gandalf does tell Frodo he tried to find Gollum but the Enemy found him first.

8bitpill

Let Peter do his thing. The Hobbit was what it was due to the studio (Warner Brothers) holding it up and basically making Guillermo Del Toro exit due to pursuing other projects. Peter Jackson stepped in not wanting anyone else to handle it. That is the gist, look up all the details in a simple search online.

Rings of Power was absolute TRASH. It makes The Hobbit look as good as the original Trilogy.

I hope he brings on Tom Shippey, so Tom can show those amateurs over at Amazon how to handle Tolkiens work.

f130c27b2d5e82f139cd8045c86ec73b.gif

8bitpill

Hell yeah, give me some black hobbits and blue haired elves!
Na, he will handle it the way it should have been handled for Rings of Power. My guess is the producers and writers were bumping heads with Tom Shippey over Rings of Power and didn't want a old white guy (that is a historian in Tolkiens work) tell them what to do.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The property went to his son. Christopher was the person who went to war with Jackson and kept him from making this movie for 20 years.
And he was right to fight the movie, honestly. The fact that it came out ok was more of a happy accident as we learned later with The Hobbit.

And IIRC he didn't even like the movies, which was fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom