• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: RoboCop is great (LTTP)

T8SC

emil-antonowsky-i-like-it.gif

A classic 80's movie with a great villain - Clarence Boddicker.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Robocop Rogue City games ability to capture the intensity of some of these scenes is uncanny. Never saw a guy get shot and then shoot another bad guy whilst falling though.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Late to the Party on this one. The RoboCop: Rogue City video game is coming out, and I wanted to add context by watching the movie first. Never seen it until last night.

This movie is great. Even in 2023 for a first-time viewer. The script is tight: no wasted scenes, lines of dialogue, or shots. The villains are both charismatic and hateable. Peter Weller is great as a machine with glimpses of humanity breaking through. The action is over-the-top, violent, and exciting. So many classic lines I didn't realize came from this movie ("Can you fly, Bobby?" lmao). The story is paced perfectly. I was surprised to read that the corporate and crime storylines dovetailing (i.e., Jones collaborating with Boddicker) was added late in the script-writing process because it makes perfect sense. To quote RedLetterMedia, I CLAPPED (mentally) when RoboCop said his name was Murphy at the end.

My regret? Not seeing this earlier when some of the sci-fi dystopian (cyberpunk?) ideas in it would've been more novel. Talking about the cybernetics, facial recognition technology, megacorps, memory wiping, algorithmic decision-making, GPS tracking on what looks like an iPhone... So much of it is either common today or reflects themes that still resonate. Prescient stuff. I can see why people seeing this when it came out rank it as one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. I do, too, now, but that's because it aligns so well with my tastes.

I've seen a bunch of other Paul Verhoeven movies and have liked them all (except Elle), so not sure why it took me so long to get around to this, but I'm glad I did.

Yeah. Be glad you didn't watched it when you were 6 years old lmao

It's top tier for a myriad of reasons.

The ending scenario still has an impact regarding old factories.

It's a 10/10 for me.

The initial execution scene still lingers almost 30 years later.

LimanimaPT

Yes, this movie is great. It's another reminder of how good movies used to be, that even a movie about a robot that's cop could be this good.
I consider myself to be blessed for living thru this movie era. Kids nowadays don't know what a good movie is. They get this super hero crap and they love it...

EekTheKat

Beneath all the insanely quotable bits of Robocop was this really good dark/horrific movie about a good cop and family man dying in the line of duty,and getting a second chance. At a ridiculous cost at the hands of corpo suits looking to turn him into a product. There was legit a good character arc here that's not seen in many blockbuster films these days.

You could almost frame it into a tragedy.

"Role models can be very important to a boy"

"WE KILLED YOU" - having that bombshell revelation for Murphy literally be a scene that could be replayed over and over again in his head is just brilliant stuff.

"I don't know you" - such a great setup here, a brutal gut punch to the feels.

All of it makes that ending payoff so damn good.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Game was solid. The only problem, where do they go from there? They took the best from the movies, already. Robocop fell off at 3, FWIW.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Beneath all the insanely quotable bits of Robocop was this really good dark/horrific movie about a good cop and family man dying in the line of duty,and getting a second chance. At a ridiculous cost at the hands of corpo suits looking to turn him into a product. There was legit a good character arc here that's not seen in many blockbuster films these days.

You could almost frame it into a tragedy.

"Role models can be very important to a boy"

"WE KILLED YOU" - having that bombshell revelation for Murphy literally be a scene that could be replayed over and over again in his head is just brilliant stuff.

"I don't know you" - such a great setup here, a brutal gut punch to the feels.

All of it makes that ending payoff so damn good.

Thanks. Save it for a rewatch.

Next to Rocky it's Robocop which were the most intense movie experience when i was a pre teen.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I was only allowed to watch a TV edited version as a kid or Robocop 3 because it was PG-13…when I was in college and with the context of being an adult understanding satireI finally gave the real version a watch and my god, it’s full of stars

RavageX

I read that comic, I do NOT like that art style. The rest was ok though. Lewis had a hard time keeping her uniform together. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They don't make movies like that anymore. Its an all time favorite for me.

The 3rd can rot. It had a few ok moments but was 90% terrible.

Pejo

Now go read all about the thing it ripped off.

judge dredd pink GIF by Frank Macchia
Man that Karl Urban Dredd movie was a solid start. I wish it would have done better at the box office and turned into a trilogy or something. At least we got one good one though.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
God I love this movie. Its just prime 80s action.

Bitches leave is fucking classic.

The scene were ED-209 shoots the guy at point blank range for like 30 seconds with dual 50 caliber machine guns and then someone randomly goes "Call a goddamn paramedic!!!" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just a masterpiece of action, satire, 80s excess... love it.

Top Bottom