• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robocop: Rogue City | Review Thread

EGS_RoboCopRogueCity_Teyon_S1_2560x1440-0e2b89ec6e73db0690475fc02db38a50

Game Information

Game Title: Robocop: Rogue City

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 2, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 2, 2023)
  • PC (Nov 2, 2023)
Trailer:
Developer: Teyon

Publisher: Nacon

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 73 average - 67% recommended
Metacritic - 70 average based on 21 Critic Reviews

image.png

image.png

Critic Reviews

But Why Tho? - Jason Flatt - 7.5 / 10
RoboCop Rogue City’s level of emersion is impressive, and the mechanics like crouching that it removes from the modern FPS formula don’t feel missed in the one-man-army, high-octane firefights that make up the core of the game.

CGMagazine - Andrew Farrell - 9 / 10
When looked at as a whole, RoboCop: Rogue City is a shockingly complete package with terrific gameplay and level design that offers room for player agency. Its presentation belies its budget in spots (although the actual levels and pieces of geometry are solid), but this is some of the most fun I’ve had gaming this year. Fans of first-person shooters or lite-RPGs along the likes of Fallout will likely have a blast cleaning up the streets of Detroit.

Digital Spy - Joe Draper - 4 / 5
RoboCop: Rogue City is a blast to play for long-time fans of the franchise and goes above and beyond to respect its source material. It won't win any awards for being ground-breaking, but Peter Weller offering his voice to a story that's arguably the best use of the RoboCop name since the original film makes this a worthwhile treat for those who want to be transported back to their childhood.

Eurogamer - Rick Lane - 3 / 5
Teyon blends bloody linear shootouts with light open world action for an entertaining, if unadventurous, RoboCop experience.

Evilgamerz - Daan Nijboer - Dutch - 7 / 10
With RoboCop: Rogue City, does the developer know how to take the game to identical heights as the film series? Unfortunately not. It is clear that they are still on the upward trend. This is a first person shooter where you literally and figuratively go back in time. No understandable class structure, just shooting. It is of course possible to upgrade your gun and choose skills for RoboCop, but the essence is rough shooting and the game does that well. It is a shame that other elements are less well developed, such as the poor AI of the opponents. Major missed opportunities are also the detective work, which now only consists of scanning your environment, and the minimal consequences of your choices during the story.

GGRecon - Morgan Truder - 3 / 5
From the moment you fire up Robocop: Rogue City and see his cruiser’s bumper scrape up the ramp, it is clear who the game is for - if you’re a fan of the 1980s classic you’re in for a treat. Otherwise, the poor performance and uninspired gameplay make it hard to recommend the game to someone who isn’t already a fan of OCP's finest. One thing you can’t take away from Teyon is they have delivered a true-to-the-film Robocop experience, but whether you'd buy that for a dollar is up to you.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10
Fans of RoboCop are likely to love Rogue City, though it’s also likely to prove appealing to those who simply like shooting up bad guys with reckless abandon. Dealing out violent justice as RoboCop rarely struggles to put a smile on your face – even if, at times, it threatens to become a tad repetitive. Throw in some light investigation and some moments of humour, and you have a game that makes effective use of a much-loved IP.

GamingTrend - David Burdette - 80 / 100
Just like RoboCop himself, Rogue City is only human, but it's still pretty great. With an intriguing narrative and stellar side missions, exploring Old Detroit is a real treat. Gunplay feels heavy, and engaging your friends and opponents with words as well as bullets is satisfying. In a year filled with blockbusters, this is a cult classic.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 7.5 / 10
Bloody and crass, but also occasionally very human, Robocop: Rogue City is the most faithful adaptation of the movie universe we've ever had.

IGN - Justin Koreis - 7 / 10
RoboCop: Rogue City is a pitch-perfect throwback to the action movies of the ‘80s. It’s over-the-top violence with charm, largely well put together but rough on the edges. Most importantly, it's a fun way to spend time in a beloved fictional universe that doesn’t overstay its welcome. Blasting at goons as an unstoppable walking machine remains as extremely entertaining as it seemed on the big screen, thanks in part to an impressive commitment to capturing the look and feel of the original film. Mixing in elements like routine police work and side quests does a great job changing the pace, too. Even if it’s not the best example of visual fidelity, and prone to some bugs along the way, that love of RoboCop shines through. This is a solid B movie of a video game, which is exactly what the source material demands.

Niche Gamer - Fingal Belmont - 8 / 10
RoboCop: Rogue City is a methodical FPS with some lite roleplaying and adventure game elements. It’s sardonic with a satirical scenario and has very obscure fan service that only die-hard RoboCop fans would catch. Gamers who can accept this are going to have an enormously fun time.

PSX Brasil - Bruno Henrique Vinhadel - Portuguese - 75 / 100
RoboCop: Rogue City has a number of problems that consist more of a general lack of technical polish and the use of a dated overall game structure. Despite this, it respectfully delivers a good setting for a classic character, respecting the original material and with good doses of fun.

PowerUp! - Jam Walker - Loved
Teyon set out to make a damn authentic and utterly enjoyable RoboCop game to a reasonable scale and budget and it absolutely delivered. I can’t honestly say that it’s one of the best games of the year, but it might truly be the one that I’ve had the most fun with from beginning to end.

Push Square - Khayl Adam - 6 / 10
RoboCop: Rogue City does an admirable job of bringing the gritty universe of the films to life and of capturing the feeling of playing as the armoured enforcer himself. However, there are only so many cyberpunk lowlifes one can blast to bits before the repetition sets in.

Sirus Gaming - Erickson Melchor - 8 / 10
RoboCop: Rogue City is the sequel to RoboCop 2 we wish we had. The developer’s adherence to the source material is to be commended. Never did I think that the game was something only fans could enjoy. The action is thrilling while the side quests serve as a nice distraction from non-stop shooting. Sadly, minor performance issues and visual bugs hinder this title from ascending the ranks even further. There’s also the developer’s conscious choice of reusing characters for background characters. But despite the shortcomings, Rogue City is a game I highly recommend as it goes above and beyond the call of duty.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 6.9 / 10
It could have been a by-the-books license shooter, an easy cash-grab for older players fans of RoboCop. But Rogue City is otherwise: it's not perfect by any means, and in fact there are a lot of much better choices on all of the platforms it lands on, but it's still a work of love from a small studio with a small budget.

TechRaptor - Giaco Furino - 8 / 10
While RoboCop: Rogue City has fun and engaging combat, where the game truly shines is in its interactivity between characters and detective work.

The Game Crater - Chris Melnyk - 7 / 10
RoboCop: Rogue City plays and feels like a finely tuned AA game. It is about as close as a game can get to translating the famous cyborg cop to video games, thanks to the mixture of great RPG features, 80's cheesy story tropes, and unique detective mechanics. While there are issues such as visual bugs and slow traversal in some areas, they don't outshine the positives that make the game something that fans of the original films and newcomers should absolutely dive into.

TheSixthAxis - Adrian Burrows - 4 / 10
Robocop: Rogue City certainly looks the part, but beware of this gleaming, shiny, polished graphical exterior; it hides mechanical insides that are rust-riddled and broken. Dead or alive, this game definitely shouldn't be coming with you.

TheXboxHub - Alister Kennedy - 4.5 / 5
With a fantastic blend of 80s/90s action and storytelling, RoboCop: Rogue City raises the bar for what a RoboCop game can be, while delivering an unforgettable gaming experience in the dystopian city of Detroit.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5
RoboCop: Rogue City feels outdated at its core, but this actually works in its favour. With no pretensions that it's offering something revolutionary, the game focuses on delivering big dumb action scenes interspersed with entertaining detective work. It has an engaging story and well-written dialogue, all wrapped in a package that shows clear love for the source material.

VideoGamer - Alex Raisbeck - 7 / 10
RoboCop: Rogue City is a game dripping with love and appreciation of the source material, made by RoboCop fans, for RoboCop fans. But frustrating late game combat and clumsily resolved story beats raise questions of whether it's for everyone else, too.

WhatIfGaming - Rizwan Anwer - 8 / 10
RoboCop: Rogue City is a fantastic title that does the IP justice. Being able to play as the titular character feels satisfying he's essentially a walking tank with weight behind every punch and throw. The RPG elements not only let you customize RoboCop's abilities but provide some narrative decision-making opportunities as well. Fighting for a crime-ridden Detroit with its fantastic visuals consistent with fims' art direction further helps with the fantasy, and this is definitely a must-play for fans of the forgotten character.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 7 / 10
Robocop: Rogue City is a 7, but it’s a really fun 7. It knows what it is, and it sticks to that no matter what. The writing isn’t the best, and some of the characters look straight out of a $3 steam simulator title. Still I had a ton of fun beating this one over the course of a day and a half so if you love the series it’s well worth checking out.

Last edited:

GymWolf

With so many games in 2023 why would anyone pay a full price for this?
Maybe because people played the (long) demo and not everyone gives a fuck about modern media scoring or metacritic.

The 91 to pander-man 2 was just the latest proof of how trustworthy modern media is.

Robocop probably doesn't have bossy women, deaf person sections or all the cool stuff we see in modern AAA gaming.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

So I just played an hour myself. I'm enjoying it.I noticed there is an odd graphical kind of jitteriness when the camera cut in a cutscene changes. Also I wish they'd been able to get more of the original actors to do their voices but I get it. After all some have passed away and at the same time that would have ballooned the budget a lot. Whoever is voicing Lewis does a great job and sounds close. Other folks not so much. Weller of course sounds great as Robo.

Why pay full price for another fucking 2D Mario?
Why pay full price for yet another Call of Duty?

This is a full game, not a rehash of past iterations AND we'll make up our own damn mind.

Modern day reviews can't be called journalism anymore because those asshats always shoehorn in their own personal preferences.
As a REAL journalist, you just dont do that.

Look at it from a technical point of view. But modern day "gaming journalism" is just shit, riddled with self entitled woke agents and snowflakes.
You cant trust a review anymore.... They're either bought off by publishers or nitpick a game that is good into mediocreness.

Thats why.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Sounds about right, after finishing the demo. It's ok.

Think it can be and fun time if you can look through the janky animations. even though it shares the same structure, It lacks the polished and writing quality of a 2000's Starbreeze game (Riddick Butcherbay, The Darkness)

RagnarokIV

The game's adherence to the structure and ideas of the original films also has some unfortunate ramifications. For example, the portrayal of Detroit PD as honest, hardworking blue-collar workers struggling against budget constraints sits a lot less comfortably in 2023, when we know US police budgets are vastly overinflated compared to other public sectors, and that issues like corruption and racism are endemic within policing in a way that has little to do with corporate ownership.
To be clear, I'm not saying RoboCop should be wandering around Detroit shouting ACAB. Rather, in its strive to mimic the anti-corporate satire of the film, Rogue City misses an opportunity to ask other, more pertinent questions, like how does a cop programmed to follow the letter of the law fit within a policing system that itself often doesn't?

Eurogamer never fail. Shut the fuck up and play the game.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Good to see.

Unfortuantly even some of the positive reviews cant seem to control themeselves and are deducting points for "missed opportunities".

More Propogandists Masquerading as Journalists.

GymWolf

Good to see.

Unfortuantly even some of the positive reviews cant seem to control themeselves and are deducting points for "missed opportunities".

More Propogandists Masquerading as Journalists.
What missed opportunities?

Robocop turning evil good and killing cops instead of criminals?

Last edited:
Scoring nicely. Loved the demo.

Eurogamer gave it 3 out of 5 in their review. Predictable, I guess, after they gave Alan Wake 2 the same score yesterday. They seem to enjoy been the outliers for reviews just so they can squeeze in a pun: "Three out of five! You're coming with me!".

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If modern day 'press' thinks it's just okay, it must be 10/10 for 80s kids and fans of the movies.

Was just gonna say…

When the numbers are all over the place, nowadays that usually means it’s damn good.

Also need to take into account that 99% of the reviewers probably didn’t exist in 1987 so fuck em

Got my copy downloaded and ready to go after work 😎

kunonabi

So I just played an hour myself. I'm enjoying it.I noticed there is an odd graphical kind of jitteriness when the camera cut in a cutscene changes. Also I wish they'd been able to get more of the original actors to do their voices but I get it. After all some have passed away and at the same time that would have ballooned the budget a lot. Whoever is voicing Lewis does a great job and sounds close. Other folks not so much. Weller of course sounds great as Robo.
I've found the Lewis voice to be absolutely terrible everytime I've heard her speak.

This seems like a game where it's innately quite good and a lot of love, so if you're a fan of the series, you can easily add a point to the scores.

I'll probably pick it up in a month or two, give them time to put out some updates or incorporate feedback(they strike me as devs that do that) and then enjoy it.

Why pay full price for another fucking 2D Mario?
Why pay full price for yet another Call of Duty?

This is a full game, not a rehash of past iterations AND we'll make up our own damn mind.

Modern day reviews can't be called journalism anymore because those asshats always shoehorn in their own personal preferences.
As a REAL journalist, you just dont do that.

Look at it from a technical point of view. But modern day "gaming journalism" is just shit, riddled with self entitled woke agents and snowflakes.
You cant trust a review anymore.... They're either bought off by publishers or nitpick a game that is good into mediocreness.

Thats why.
This is their most questionable sticking point imo. These people really seem to go into super critical overdrive whenever a game isn't checking all the "correct" bulletin points under the guise of earnest journalism and critique. Its shady as fuck.

Genuinely decent and good games suffer because of this.

I'm glad to hear that Peter Weller didn't just provide likeness and voice, but really gave 100% to the role once more.

I really hope this game delves more into the storyline of him recognizing himself as Murphy as the first(and somewhat the second) films did.

The human aspect stuff of the films was always one of the most appealing things, ending with him telling the Old Man who he actually was with a smile.

Justin9mm

Played the demo on PC, really enjoyed it tbh. I was hoping to pick it up on PS5 soon. I was hoping for high 70s score. Oh well.

Wasn't going to buy this but if the biggest criticism is that the game doesn't reflect a reviewers personal political manifesto then it can't be a bad effort.

Price is reasonable enough for a AA game with a good franchise. How long does it take to complete a basic run through?

Last edited:
Because there is not much like this. I want to support a game that is what games used to be. Single player, no micro transactions, no online component, fps. We don't get single player fps anymore. If we do they are bioshock wannabes or modern doom and not like this. In the ps3/360 gen fps games that were single player fun were common place, they practically disappeared in the ps4 gen..

So a mix of nostalgia, the lore and character, as well as supporting a AA game. Also not all new games appeal to everyone. Zelda, BG3, City Skylines2, Starfield and Diablo 4, SMBW, MGS col, got all them plus a bunch of indies, and I still will get this.

Top Bottom