• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brickadia Physics Tech Demo

nkarafo

Those are the physics i was expecting in the PS4/XBOX One generation.

Better late than never i guess.

Quantum253

That was like the Ray tracing minecraft update In a Roblox universe. Looks like fine though. And that ending was great.

CamHostage

Is just rigid objects standard physics.
Oh and this is 100% pre-rendered

Hmm, I can see some potential shortcuts and cheats taken to present what's in here, but what makes you say the clip was pre-rendered?

The developers say it's from realtime demos of Brickadia projects (though don't say what machines, other than that it's a client/server setup; they do list tested hardware in other blogposts.) They also describe in a ton of detail how they say it works (including integration of some recent PhysX improvements.) It's pretty far out of my understanding, but it seems like a lot of effort to be a dupe. (You'd put much of the same work in to form a pre-rendered project, but a lot of the blog is about the data trees and other "boring" geometry management challenges, not anything special about the physics collision.) They're also clear about removing some of the buzzwords from the project, such as Nanite and Lumen, which this is not using; also mentions that they had to coldstore Unreal Chaos and put PhysX back into their UE5 project after Epic swapped out the default physics toolset and it wasn't right for what was needed.)

https://brickadia.com/blog/devlog-4/

Last edited:

Denton

This kind of physics does not really impress me anymore, it did impress me in Max Payne 2 twenty years ago though.

HL3.exe

It's still just newtonian physics (meaning mostly gravity based). This has been standardized since the 00's.

Sure, more accurate collisions and more physics rendered per frame is always great, but I was hoping for more of a leap. Like physics with force creating indent, or smoke or water being in capsuled (with accurate collisions). Something like a real leap in what's possible with runtime game-physics simulations on modern hardware.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hmm, I can see some potential shortcuts and cheats taken to present what's in here, but what makes you say the clip was pre-rendered?

The developers say it's from realtime demos of Brickadia projects (though don't say what machines, other than that it's a client/server setup; they do list tested hardware in other blogposts.) They also describe in a ton of detail how they say it works (including integration of some recent PhysX improvements.) It's pretty far out of my understanding, but it seems like a lot of effort to be a dupe. (You'd put much of the same work in to form a pre-rendered project, but a lot of the blog is about the data trees and other "boring" geometry management challenges, not anything special about the physics collision.) They're also clear about removing some of the buzzwords from the project, such as Nanite and Lumen, which this is not using; also mentions that they had to coldstore Unreal Chaos and put PhysX back into their UE5 project after Epic swapped out the default physics toolset and it wasn't right for what was needed.)

https://brickadia.com/blog/devlog-4/
It's clearly pre-rendered.
It looks ray traced but it's perfect. Along with perfect anti aliasing and motion blur.
If it's not pre rendered, it's the best image quality I've ever seen

KeplerDev

Neo Member
It's clearly pre-rendered.
It looks ray traced but it's perfect. Along with perfect anti aliasing and motion blur.
If it's not pre rendered, it's the best image quality I've ever seen
Way late on this but it isn't prerendered, here's an outtake clip from the filming of the trailer. The game does have raytracing as an option but it's not used in any marketing/social media material because it isn't fully polished in it's implementation, it has some occasional jank (translucency issues is the big one that hasn't been addressed). The lighting in this demo uses a reduced version of Lumen that the devs refer to as Proto-Lumen, basically Lumen but currently only with screenspace data. You can read more about it in this devlog where they show comparisons with SSGI (which can still be used instead of proto-lumen if desired). The antialiasing could've been set to FXAA or TAA (or possibly DLSS which Brickadia also supports but I don't think they'd use upscaling in a marketing video). I'm guessing TAA due to the ghosting you can see on the falling bricks at 0:30.

also from the social media guy who does the majority of the work on the videos:

Rk8A1JQ.png

Top Bottom