• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

This is from an old video, but I never stopped to think about it until I saw the still:
Rhett_Customization_Modified.png

The kinds of customization you'll be looking at. 4 attachments and lots of yummy stats, I think they've said there are 21 weapons or so in total? Plenty of room for experimentation, add to that classes, bodytypes and perks, should be interesting! If I can get a bolt-action rifle with good hip-fire (and a fast-switch high-damage pistol), I'll be in shooter heaven.

Xater

Danne-Danger said:
This is from an old video, but I never stopped to think about it until I saw the still:
http://images.wikia.com/brink/images/d/d3/Rhett_Customization_Modified.png[IMG]

The kinds of customization you'll be looking at. 4 attachments and lots of yummy stats, I think they've said there are 21 weapons or so in total? Plenty of room for experimentation, add to that classes, bodytypes and perks, should be interesting! If I can get a bolt-action rifle with good hip-fire (and a fast-switch high-damage pistol), I'll be in shooter heaven.[/QUOTE]

Yeah seems pretty cool. I kinda want to get the game but I am hesitant to order it until PSN is back up....

zlatko

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Rhett_Customization_Modified.png

The kinds of customization you'll be looking at. 4 attachments and lots of yummy stats, I think they've said there are 21 weapons or so in total? Plenty of room for experimentation, add to that classes, bodytypes and perks, should be interesting! If I can get a bolt-action rifle with good hip-fire (and a fast-switch high-damage pistol), I'll be in shooter heaven.

*faps furiously to image*

Is it May 10th yet? :(

MMaRsu

Banned
I want to buy this game so bad, but I'm broke and unless I get my money back from the IRS soon I won't be able to buy it soon. And then there's the question of buying this on 360 or not.. it hardly ever reads discs, but Halo Reach has been working for the past week.

Ps3 has CFW, with no chance of going on PSN unless I update.

Razor 81 said:
Don't like that bottom attachment! But hey, i have faith in SD.
The ONE WEAPON that sucked in QW (because it was horribly cheap and no fun at all) was the grenade launcher, I hope they've sorted that out now. :p

But they've said there won't be any one-hit kills from grenades, so I don't think it'll be that bad.

desu

Even Sony said that PSN should be up again soon, if its not next week then it will be the total death of Brink on PS3. Seeing that LA Noire is coming out a week later ...

Jinaar

Would love to get this on the PC(graphic whore am I) but if what I am hearing is right, most of me mates that use to play Shadowrun will be getting this via the 360. Decision is already made then. Brink brink brink brink!

Dibbz

Danne-Danger said:
Just bot-matches with cut-scenes though. However there are challanges (that'll unlock the weapons, so around 20 or so?) that do sound kind of interesting, pretty sure that's with bots only.

Bottom line though is don't buy it if you're not planning on going online, unless you're one of those people that really enjoys playing against bots. SD bots are pretty good if QW is anything to judge by.
wow what?

Was thinking of picking this up but if SP is only MP matches with bots then I'll pass.

I was planning on picking this up, but after reading about the SP I'll probably grab the game later on. :/

LA:Noire here I come

Just want to ask (to anyone that was in the beta) is the gameplay smooth? Looking at the gameplay videos its hard to get a good idea and to me it seems less Mirrors Edge like and more like early CODs.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I really, really wish there was a demo for this on PC. I am intrigued, but it being a new IP just doesn't elevate me to that "must-have" feeling.

derFeef

vidal said:
Blue guy tripped red guy. Red guy gets sent to the ground, blue guy runs away.
Eh? More like red guy knocks down (Kills?) blue guy, player "kills" red guy - both get up immediately.

KingOfKong said:
Regeneratng grenades seems like a horrible idea to me. I guess I will have to see how it works out though.
Didn't BF1943 had that as well?

Makoto

derFeef said:
Eh? More like red guy knocks down (Kills?) blue guy, player "kills" red guy - both get up immediately.
Nah, if you're a light type, you can use the slide ability to trip players and send them to the ground. Allowing you to get up and finish them while they're immobilized.

derFeef

vidal said:
Nah, if you're a light type, you can use the slide ability to trip players and send them to the ground. Allowing you to get up and finish them while they're immbolized.
Oh ok! Looked a bit wonky - like a sliding animation without the slide :/

Clott said:
There is a PS3 beta going on, right? where are the impressions in that case.

NDA

I believe there was a GAFFER who was contacted by Sony and was told not to share any info. It was in response to a post that was made a while ago.

steadfast

KingOfKong said:
Regeneratng grenades seems like a horrible idea to me. I guess I will have to see how it works out though.

Grenades aren't insta-kills so it's really not too big of a deal, especially if it's a long cooldown.

charsace

KingOfKong said:
Probably means nades are weak. If this is like Shadowrun I would imagine that every class can use every gun, but strength stats would make it hard for a weak character to run around with a ehavy weapon while a strong character gets no negative effect carrying any weapon.

OdysseusVA said:
NDA

I believe there was a GAFFER who was contacted by Sony and was told not to share any info. It was in response to a post that was made a while ago.

NDA this shortly before release? I've yet to see a single game that does this and turns out any good.

Makoto

Direct2Drive would get 1000 awesome points in my book if they were to release keys for a Steam pre-loead.

derFeef said:
Oh ok! Looked a bit wonky - like a sliding animation without the slide :/
Agreed. Animations in Brink will probably be the least appealing aspect of it.

derFeef said:
Didn't BF1943 had that as well?
Don't think so.

Anyway I don't think regenerating grenades is such a bad idea really. This guy only seems to have one and the regen timer is high (I'm sure perks can alter that), in most games where you have a stack of two-three grenades I find that people tend to want to get them out before they die and respawn, resulting in spam. This way you don't have to respawn in order to resupply (if you want to attack a turret or something) as you had to do if you were playing Stogg in QW, and you can't exploit some player-driven distribution (ammo-packs or resupply stations) in order to spam endless grenades. You have one (standard) that you'll want to use effectively and not just throw it on random.

Add to that the fact that grenades still won't kill you in one hit and I don't think it'll be a problem.
charsace said:
Probably means nades are weak. If this is like Shadowrun I would imagine that every class can use every gun, but strength stats would make it hard for a weak character to run around with a ehavy weapon while a strong character gets no negative effect carrying any weapon.
It's restricted, heavies can use all types (miniguns, grenade launchers(?)) and lights can only use light types (pistols, smg:s, long-rifles), with the medium in between (shotguns and assault rifles). May have the types messed up but point is that you'll be restricted.

SneakyStephan said:
NDA this shortly before release? I've yet to see a single game that does this and turns out any good.
He was referring to the NDA on the PS3 beta.

Regenerating grenades are a good idea in a class based FPS. I would rather wait to regen, that have a group of soldiers giving each other ammo packs and spamming grenades.

That new video is another FPS 101 type. I really hope some of the videos they show closer to release aren't meant for people who have never touched a shooting game before.

Danne-Danger said:
But the red guy also gets tripped, and it looks like the downed blu guy trips him (with his boot?), so I guess you can melee while you're knocked over?

Dunno about that, you can shoot while tripped, but don't know if you can melee.

It would be detrimental for the game flow. People just tripping themselves over and over at melee range. Brrr.

Makoto

serotonina said:
Actually, he's not sliding. He tripped him with a melee strike with the weapon, check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igfYj0pagQ8&feature=related
But in the HUD video, the blue player clearly slid towards the red player. 2:24 of the video you linked features the sliding ability of knocking players down.

Tokubetsu said:
Won't they?
They didn't do it for Homefront when it was for pre-load on Steam.

vidal said:
But in the HUD video, the blue player clearly slid towards the red player. 2:24 of the video you linked features the sliding ability of knocking players down.

On 02:22 he clearly knock him down with a melee strike.

About the blue player in the HUD video I don't know, the red player, tho, melee him down.

Palmer_v1

Yeah, it takes a supply pip to throw a grenade, which slowly regenerates, and is also used for other stuff, like resupplying ammo/health.

Makoto

serotonina said:
On 02:22 he clearly knock him down with a melee strike.

About the blue player in the HUD video I don't know, the red player, tho, melee him down.
The animations in Brink are really going to be a detriment to it, aren't they? haha

I just checked the price for this game on Steam... $89.99 in Australia.

Well, that's an absurd waste of money that I'm not willing to pay.

I want to play this game, but unfortunately not enough to pay full AUS price for it (especially when it's the equivalent to someone in the US paying $90 USD for it).

I will either import and wait 3 or 4 weeks for it to arrive in the mail... or wait until it drops in price here.

Judging my finances at the moment, I'm probably going to be waiting for a while.

Will probably hire it the week of launch though, thankfully I think you can still do that here (haven't done it for a lowng while).

Edit - Okay, I checked the price on Direct2Drive and that's a much better proposition at $44.99 and is leading me towards a purchase - but I have REAL indecision when buying anything digitally that is not through Steam. I feel like I don't really own it when it's through some other sort of system.

I wish there were some way to tie the download to my Steam account for this. I know, I know it sounds backwards but it's just this thing I have. I usually find it difficult enough to buy a digital copy of a game and not the physical copy - but this kind of saving is almost too good to resist so I have to figure out how I'm going to push myself across the line and make the purchase. :( If I use the 'BUNNY' voucher code on D2D can I still use that for Witcher 2? Maybe I'll buy Witcher 2 first and then Brink if I can still use the voucher on that (hopefully that deal is still running by Thursday when I get paid for this week in order to make a couple of purchases).

Top Bottom