• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie/Microsoft Ignores a massive problem with Halo:Reach

The problem being that Halo:Reach blocks and then bans users seemingly at random, just for trying to use the file sharing feature of the game.

One of the first days of release I made a video of a midair assassination and tried to upload it because I liked the clip and wanted the achievement. I made the video while on XBL and it's from an online matchmaking game. "The creator of this clip is not allowed on xbox live" is the error message. Weird. So i give it a few days, try again, no luck.

Xbox support fumbles around for a half hour asking if I'm connected to the internet or have a hard drive (I have a 250gb slim system) then has me recover my gamertag and then says they don't know, call bungie.

So I go to bungie's forums and find that many others are getting the same error:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=48961196&postRepeater1-p=1
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49785575&postRepeater1-p=1
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49196673&postRepeater1-p=1
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100914150036AAp221i
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49829178&postRepeater1-p=1

One of the mods or staff there Achronos posts this reply when I asked for them to at least acknowledge that there's a problem and if they're going to fix it..

Achronos
Bungie.net Overlord
Sent: 9/28/2010
The "Name not allowed" thing is an Xbox Live error message that Reach is receiving when trying to create a file using your gamertag.

You must call Microsoft Xbox Live Support for assistance on this matter.

Well, that's going nowhere. I even paid 800 points to change my name and all it did was go from "name not allowed" to "you are permanently banned from the fileshare for violating the terms of use" when trying to upload a new firefight matchmaking screenshot.

By the way, here's the form letter xbox support has been tasked with sending people in hopes that they'll be discouraged and just go away.

I understand that you have been having problems using the file share options for Halo.

File share access is not available for players with an Xbox LIVE Silver Membership, unless you have the optional Bungie Pro service (available for purchase from the Start menu, File Browser submenu). Players who are using an offline profile do not have file share access.

Additionally, you will need to have a hard drive attached to your Xbox 360 to fully enjoy the game capabilities for Halo Reach.

If ever you have any other question, just write us back and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you so much for your time and inquiry.

It seems like microsoft/bungie are going to just ignore this until the admittedly smallish group of users it affects goes away. I'm very disappointed. Microsoft just keeps on fucking up. Anyone on GAF having this problem?

If they could, that's great. I'm very frustrated as I loved this feature in halo 3 and had no problem with it there.

Adding frustration is that I can add files to the fileshare on bungie.net just fine from any creator. Just can't do it on my console ever, which means one of my favorite things to do, take photos and video from matches is worthless because I can't share it.

TwiztidElf said:
Microsoft hates hardcore gamers. They thought we would have figured it out by now.

It sure seems like it lately. I think xbox support might work better if you just grunt at them and drool on the phone. When you explain situations in detail they get annoyed with you.

Zeliard

File share access is not available for players with an Xbox LIVE Silver Membership, unless you have the optional Bungie Pro service (available for purchase from the Start menu, File Browser submenu).

rofl

It is probably a bug that they can't replicate and therefor can't do anything about just yet. When it is pressed it thinks you are trying to spam the fileshare with BS and then blocks you as it should if you were trying to spam it.

I'd post on Bungie.net and get attention to the issue not get all uppity and make it sound like you a company has it out for you and don't want you to enjoy your game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, so when my Gold goes Silver, I can't download custom maps or use my fileshare anymore?!

Warm Machine said:
It is probably a bug that they can't replicate and therefor can't do anything about just yet. When it is pressed it thinks you are trying to spam the fileshare with BS and then blocks you as it should if you were trying to spam it.

I'd post on Bungie.net and get attention to the issue not get all uppity and make it sound like you a company has it out for you and don't want you to enjoy your game.

There have been several threads started, one with around 200 posts that have gone ignored. They're ignoring it, plain and simple. As one of their customers, that's very annoying.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
enzo_gt said:
Wait, so when my Gold goes Silver, I can't download custom maps or use my fileshare anymore?!

Welcome to X-box Live. Now, drop your drawers and bend over!

In short: Yes. You get screwed if you don't have Gold. LOVELY ISN'T IT!?

Just another bug to go on the "Reach is buggy" list. Seems Bungie couldn't wait to get off MS's plantation fast enough. :lol

Edit: I don't think they're ignoring it. But they don't have a solution/cause to the problem yet.

At least I hope they aren't. Otherwise they're about to turn into another Infinity Ward just as they're going to ATVI.

GavinGT

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
There have been several threads started, one with around 200 posts that have gone ignored. They're ignoring it, plain and simple. As one of their customers, that's very annoying.

They might not be ignoring it, so much as waiting to acknowledge it until they have a fix ready.

GavinGT said:
They might not be ignoring it, so much as waiting to acknowledge it until they have a fix ready.

The "go to Xbox support hell" response from a moderator says otherwise. If they were working on a fix they'd say "a fix is coming"

TheSeks said:
Welcome to X-box Live. Now, drop your drawers and bend over!

In short: Yes. You get screwed if you don't have Gold. LOVELY ISN'T IT!?

Just another bug to go on the "Reach is buggy" list. Seems Bungie couldn't wait to get off MS's plantation fast enough. :lol

Edit: I don't think they're ignoring it. But they don't have a solution/cause to the problem yet.

At least I hope they aren't. Otherwise they're about to turn into another Infinity Ward just as they're going to ATVI.

Well, let's not turn this into a console thread. Every console maker fucks you over in one way or another.

(pc being the exception, usually)

If there are 200 posts about this issue, lets extrapolate and say its affecting 25x that number of users, or 5000 people. that's 5000 out of say 5 million copies, or 0.1%.

0.1% is why they don't care and aren't making any kind of fuss or major attempt to resolve the issue.

DeadlySchnauzer said:
If there are 200 posts about this issue, lets extrapolate and say its affecting 25x that number of users, or 5000 people. that's 5000 out of say 5 million copies, or 0.1%.

0.1% is why they don't care and aren't making any kind of fuss or major attempt to resolve the issue.

so unless it affects enough people, they shouldn't fix a problem with their product.

Great logic :lol

Maybe they should have just made the fileshare a 800msp addon too.

Yama

A friend of mine is having the same problem, it apparently has to do with his username (CrypticSin). He's re-creating the Biohazard mansion in forge block by block. It's been taking a while to accurately complete it, so the upload error is really bugging him. It's a pretty horrible bug, not to mention a ton of people are wasting $10 to change their names and have the same problem. They need to fix this.

Kritz

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
The "go to Xbox support hell" response from a moderator says otherwise. If they were working on a fix they'd say "a fix is coming"

If it helps, Achronos isn't so much moderator as he is the guy what is on their web-design team. And most of the other moderators are simply dudes what like the Halo forums a lot so they were given various moderation tools. I wouldn't trust either with official Bungie support and whatnot.

And no matter how small the population affected, a bug that completely denies access to a major feature of your game should be a big problem.

GavinGT

Banned
Kritz said:
If it helps, Achronos isn't so much moderator as he is the guy what is on their web-design team. And most of the other moderators are simply dudes what like the Halo forums a lot so they were given various moderation tools. I wouldn't trust either with official Bungie support and whatnot.

Stop typing like that. It doesn't work in text and it doesn't work if you're not Jeff Gerstmann.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I thought this was a thread about the ubiquity of shitty maps in Reach.

Mael

SonOfABeep said:
so unless it affects enough people, they shouldn't fix a problem with their product.

Great logic :lol

Maybe they should have just made the fileshare a 800msp addon too.

Welcome to the world of software development, have a nice stay.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
You're being flagged by Xbox LIVE's gamertag filtering. Likely, they've deemed a portion of your gamertag offensive (Son of a B...). We've seen chatter on our forums about the issue and we're in contact with LIVE to see what we can do, but we literally have no access or control over the database they're using to flag content.

Achronos is doing exactly what he should by directing you to the only resolution path that exists right now and exploring options with LIVE behind the scenes.

We likey the user generated content (when it's not giant rock penises). We like it a lot. Sucks your tag is flagged, but right this second I don't have a great solution for you. Which is probably really lame and frustrating for you. Apologies.

Top Men are on it. Hopefully they can make some headway.

JimboJones

midair ASSASSination

This is how bungie reads, at least thats what seems to happen to me.

I tried to upload an ASSault game and it kept saying "This isn't allowed" and renamed it BLAM! I had no idea what was going on for ages until I took the ass' out of my words.

So all my ASSault maps are Asault maps.

Hugbot

JimboJones said:

I tried to upload an ASSault game and it kept saying "This isn't allowed" and renamed it BLAM! I had no idea what was going on for ages until I took the ass' out of my words.

Single Bomb Basalt.

feel

Next time do a better job at hiding the profanities on your gamertag. XBL's automated censoring is that effective.

Walshicus

Kritz said:
And most of the other moderators are simply dudes what like the Halo forums a lot so they were given various moderation tools. I wouldn't trust either with official Bungie support and whatnot.
This is fair. I barely trust myself to tie my own shoelaces.

urk said:
You're being flagged by Xbox LIVE's gamertag filtering. Likely, they've deemed a portion of your gamertag offensive (Son of a B...). We've seen chatter on our forums about the issue and we're in contact with LIVE to see what we can do, but we literally have no access or control over the database they're using to flag content.

Achronos is doing exactly what he should by directing you to the only resolution path that exists right now and exploring options with LIVE behind the scenes.

We likey the user generated content (when it's not giant rock penises). We like it a lot. Sucks your tag is flagged, but right this second I don't have a great solution for you. Which is probably really lame and frustrating for you. Apologies.

Top Men are on it. Hopefully they can make some headway.

Thank you so much for the reply!

Glad to know people know this is a problem. Any idea why after changing my gamertag from "Son of a Beep" to "JerBeep" I went from being blocked to banned?

It's not like the gamertag change service is some illicit thing. I paid 800 real spacebucks to do that.

JimboJones said:

Nope. it was titled Midair Melee just for that reason.

And my tag has had no problems for 5 years being "Son of a Beep" so don't give me that. When I see gamertags playing matchmaking like "Palin's Snatch" and other vulgar references, mine should not be getting targeted.

Not to mention the numerous videos in the top fileshare photos of crotch shots or ass shots of female spartans or positioned to look like they're getting blowjobs. Or the one where a guy made a cross in forge and the comments are "Hail satan" and 666 and "brainwashed". Nothing offensive there.

It was more of an in-joke with my college buddies because I had a roommate that would verbally censor all his swears by saying "beep" instead of bitch or shit or whatever.

Mother-Beeper, etc.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
urk said:
We likey the user generated content (when it's not giant rock penises).

Well, there goes my Forge World Opus "Erection Section"

mrpeabody

Having the fileshare ban stick even after the tag change does seem a little unfair. Obviously MS and Bungie have some kinks to work out. But breaking one small feature (fileshare) for one small group (people with banned tags) hardly qualifies as a "massive problem with halo: reach". The Other M bug was much much worse, just to name a recent example.

I'd suggest just playing the 99% of the game that does work for you, and not to get too worked up about it.

It's still brokened.

The topic on bungie's forums has been locked by the user who for some reason thought that the problem was fixed even though there were still new users posting there that they're having problems all the time..

Walshicus

SonOfABeep said:
It's still brokened.

The topic on bungie's forums has been locked by the user who for some reason thought that the problem was fixed even though there were still new users posting there that they're having problems all the time..
Users can't lock threads on B.net.

Top Bottom