• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Weekly What's Update

ChrisReid

TeTr1C said:
So I guess the update didn't really do much, as my opposing team was modding early today. :(

I thought the Autoupdate would stop modding. I have been modded several times since I got the update. What gives?

So far so good. Modders are being stopped in their tracks. problem is, it takes a while for them to get the patch and to run out of spare two month accounts. I can tell you with all sincerity that modding has plummeted to almost zero right now. As ever, we continue to monitor the situation to see what's next on the cheating horizon.

The point is that the patch can't specifically stop modding. What it does is specifically use new techniques to detect who is modding.. and then forwards that data to Bungie to use to implement a ban. I've noticed a sudden dropoff in modding cheaters since the patch. But the de-levelers have been all over. That's the biggest problem now, and I'm glad it got a (tiny) mention in today's weekly update.

SpitValve asks ,

How do elites reproduce?

Very carefully! Am i rite?!! LOL!!!!1

:lol

TeTr1C said:
So I guess the update didn't really do much, as my opposing team was modding early today. :(

The update doesn't work as a preventative measure, it set to recognize moding and then auto-ban.

Here is an explanation from the Bungie Zanzibar Forums:
For those that think that the AU is a great failure, this should explain it this was posted by Recon Number 54

"If someone expected that that AU would make it so that their console would explode and kill the modder with HDD shrapnel, then it's not going to be comforting.

There likely is some comfort for those who read the announcement and understood that it means that the AU allows the automated tools at Bungie to tell what accounts and consoles are using modified software so that the (again) automated tools can do their automated job of reviewing and banning accounts from H2 Matchmaking.

Automated is not synonymous with instantaneous.

The folks who are using modded content right now are helping the servers to collect data.

Imagine a child that taunts a rottweiler by poking the dog in the nose, the dog lets it slide, the kid pokes again, the dog stops wagging it's tail, the kid pokes again, the dog's ears go back, the kid pokes once more, the dog begins to growl, the child continues to poke, the dog bares it's teeth, and still poking continues..... Finally, having had enough, the dog rips the child's throat out.

Poor kid? Nah, very patient dog."

and Achronos with how things are going

"Sigh. Here's the deal. It takes time to ban someone. So, gradually, every modder will get banned - it just isn't instanteous. Eventually, the only modders will be people who create a new account - and then they only get one or two games before they get banned as well.

That's what I mean when I say it isn't a magic bullet - the results of the auto update are gradual.

The update IS working. I'm sitting here watching the people get banned (automatically). It simply takes time. I've watched guys come on with one account, see it get banned, then come online with similarly named account, and get banned again, each automatically, each after only 1 modded game played."

Understand now?

TeTr1C

halo2haxorpwnt3ed.jpg

just made that. :lol

Deku

Banned
Wow, I love this hard-line stance against cheaters. I wish more games would take this kind of policy and not be beholden to their subscriber base.

Top Bottom