• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Has Been Played by 13 Million Players | Average Playtime per Player is 40 Hours

It’s coming up on the end of the year, and we want to thank all our players for joining us for the incredible launch of Starfield. With 13 million players since September, this has been the biggest launch in our history. Your support of this new adventure has meant everything to us.

You’ve been very busy out there in space for the past few months, and we want to share some fascinating stats about what you’ve been up to. Altogether, you’ve visited nearly 2 billion planets, which is an astronomical number! Check out the full infographic below for even more info on everything from your favorite powers to the most lethal enemies, and more.

AKQA_ION_EOY_infographic_9x16.png

But we’re not just here to say goodbye to 2023. We’ve been hard at work on everything coming to Starfield in 2024. While we’re not ready to go into all the details just yet, here’s a glimpse at some of the things we’re cooking up.

First, we’re targeting updates roughly every six weeks starting in February. These updates will include everything from quality-of-life improvements to content and feature updates. Join our Steam Beta branch to be the first to try these updates as they begin rolling out.

We've been reading all your feedback and are excited to start launching these new features. We'll be adding new ways to travel and you’ll now be able to access city maps while exploring the major cities. For those of you who love ship building, we'll also be expanding on ship customization with ship decorations, new ship building options, and more.
We're also excited to be adding all new Gameplay options. With these new settings you'll be able to alter your gameplay to allow for an easier or more challenging experience that will expand beyond our normal "Difficulty" setting. These will allow you to easily customize carry capacity, cargo access distance, ship damage, vendor credits, how you suffer afflictions, new survival mechanics, and more.

Next, official mod support will be coming to Starfield with the launch of Creations. Beginning early next year, Starfield will be getting its own exporter and you’ll have access to a new Creation Kit. Modding has always been an enormous part of our games, with incredible community-made content constantly bringing fresh new experiences. With the scale and systems in Starfield, we can’t wait to see what you come up with!
And lastly, the team is hard at work on the development of Shattered Space, our first major expansion coming next year. You’ll have new story content, new locations, new gear, and much more. We can’t wait to share more with you next year.

Thank you so much for all the amazing feedback and please keep it coming. We do read it all, and it guides us in what you really want to see in the game going forward. For the latest on Starfield, make sure to join Constellation and get exclusive access to our Constellation Discord.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Nice. I'll have to look up what the Sense Star Stuff power does exactly, I don't think I've used it yet. Edit: Shoot that does seem useful, I'll have to start using it.

@ Boneless Boneless , it's a simple average based on the total hours played (given in days here) divided by the total players. 22,284,331 x 24 = 534,823,944 total hours played / 13m = 41.140303384615384615384615384615 hours each.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one that died most often at the hands of the ecliptic, they give them some crazy weapons once they get leveled up.

Last edited:

phvk

Neo Member
I find that unlikely, median playtime maybe, but you will have too many people that played under 10 minutes to get that average.
Median is likely 2-10 hours or so, average is being inflated by whales. Also I think people played longer than a lot of games as it’s Bethesda’s first new IP since forever ago and the game dives right in to the gameplay so it’s not until you get to New Atlantis that the game starts feeling off. Also probably inflated by leaving console on unless they are not counting time spent in menus.

Last edited:
60 Hours so far, Married Sarah and left her bee-hind behind at Constellation to adventure with Barrett.
I've put the game to the side to catch up on several other games. But want to go back to Starfield and play again here and there.

Denton

I played for about 15 hours before I decided to wait for finished product. There is too much stuff still in development for this game that will make it significantly better. Of course, nothing will improve quests, dialogue and story, which is a shame. But I think I will enjoy it more once all the planned stuff is in.

Fredrik

40 hours?
200.gif

My Steam counter says 211 right now

But I’m out since early december, an update is needed badly imo. I’m currently playing Baldur’s Gate 3 instead. But Starfield is still my favorite.
From the Steam year review, this game devoured my hobby, I stopped playing everything else for 3 months.
xxBp2FR.jpg

P1Ia5cs.jpg

Can’t wait to jump in again. Still have so much left to do and discover.

DarthPutin

With this playtime average given, this indeed seems pretty nice. :messenger_relieved: And now Bethesda will even give players city maps as reward!
If game was more outstanding, it could be really huge hit. Still did nicely, proving people's love for big open worlds and RPGs.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How about they tell us how many of those 13 million players played for more than 10 hours? Because this is an absolute bullshit statistic.

I think you should do the math on how many hours 3 million players need to play to make an average playtime of 40 hours if 10 million players only played for an hour.

Would be a fun statistic.

Last edited:
Funny, there are people I chat with online who have spent over 100 hours on this game but the few people I know in my daily life who've played it gave up after less than 10-15 hours, I've only played about 13. I'll go back at some point but this game just didn't grab me the way BG3 did. I have nearly 100 hours into that.

T4keD0wN

No, people on GAF hyped it up as the game of the generation and as one of the best games ever, and people pointed out that it didn't live up to sales, players, and critical expectations.
Sales? we dont have any data on sales to even talk about it.
Players? 13m in like 2 months is pretty good
Critical expectations? yeah, true

Top Bottom