• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King testing hot dogs and corn dogs in Michigan and Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a world that has brats, sausages, etc., why the fuck does anyone still eat hotdogs?

Seriously what is the deal with Michiganers and Coneys? A) You have them fucking everywhere and B) They're terrible.

I feel like the whole population of the state of Michigan still lives in Michigan because they have no idea how much better life is almost everywhere else. Yes this is me being bitter about getting stuck in Michigan for the past year and a half.

Man, if you can't enjoy a dog with mustard, onions and chili, I shutter to think of what nightmare city you must've come from.

Detroit, Flint, Jackson, Saginaw, Bay City, Midland, Lansing, Grand Rapids - coneys are more common than you seem to think, at least in the more densely populated areas of the state.

There's a Coneys in Midland? Is it in the mall? I only remember seeing one in Bay City that my grand parents use to go to.

kirby_fox

Banned
I fear the faux taste of being "grilled" much like the burgers have now is going to be infused into the meat.

Give me an actual fire grilled hot dog and I'm there BK. And I'm there happily. Otherwise I'll stick to making them at home or grabbing a cheap $1 one at Rally's.

3phemeral

I may try one of these when I get off work, though I imagine they won't be great. Grand Coney is decent and pretty cheap (if I remember correctly), and Rally's has a decent chili dog (for fast food).

On the topic of new food, though, I DO love Wendy's Ghost Pepper Fries even if they really only taste like Jalapeno ones.

DaveH

hotdogs.jpg

Camwi

I may try one of these when I get off work, though I imagine they won't be great. Grand Coney is decent and pretty cheap (if I remember correctly), and Rally's has a decent chili dog (for fast food).

On the topic of new food, though, I DO love Wendy's Ghost Pepper Fries even if they really only taste like Jalapeno ones.

I agree. "Ghost Pepper" has become really misused lately, but those fries are yummy.

I fear the faux taste of being "grilled" much like the burgers have now is going to be infused into the meat.

Give me an actual fire grilled hot dog and I'm there BK. And I'm there happily. Otherwise I'll stick to making them at home or grabbing a cheap $1 one at Rally's.

hot dog sausages should be never grilled upon open fire. they contain pickling salt which can be highly carcinogenic when burnt. I think there's even a food-law in the US that prevents restaurants to put scalted sausages onto an open grill.

I know that many people do it at home at their BBQ but you really shouldn't do that. use sausages (bratwursts etc) without pickling salt for grilling

hot dog sausages should be never grilled upon open fire. they contain pickling salt which can be highly carcinogenic when burnt. I think there's even a food-law in the US that prevents restaurants to put scalted sausages onto an open grill.

I look at food safety regulations everyday and I've never heard this, ever. Tons of restaurants do this.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I look at food safety regulations everyday and I've never heard this, ever. Tons of restaurants do this.

I've never heard it either. Pickling salt is just fine salt, this is the first time I've ever heard that you aren't supposed to cook salted food over a flame.

noquarter

Huh, I did see these the other day at Burger King and didn't even think about it. For some reason I thought they sheets had them.

Might go try a corn dog later.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I know that many people do it at home at their BBQ but you really shouldn't do that. use sausages (bratwursts etc) without pickling salt for grilling

Can you give a link to anything about this? This is the first I've heard of such a thing, it goes against a lot of the basic food science I know, and I'm unable to find anything related with the search terms "hot dog fire salt."

We need a fast food Italian place. Now that would be awesome.

Sbarro. And it's not.

Man, if you can't enjoy a dog with mustard, onions and chili, I shutter to think of what nightmare city you must've come from.

I can enjoy one, but always with the lingering disappointment that it's not a sausage.

In a world where steaks exist, why does anyone still eat burgers?

Because they're totally different types of food? Hot dogs and sausages live in the same realm, it's just that one is way, way better than the other. The only upside to hot dogs is that they're cheap.

kirby_fox

Banned

Yeah, I'm with others on this. I've never heard of this and googling it shows absolutely nothing about it. Even looking up pickling salts and carcinogenic shows very little results. Got any links for this?

Edit: Not to mention that BK used to have an actual flame grill back in the day. But that's been done away with for the most part and replaced with smoke flavors and microwaves...

bengraven

We need a fast food Italian place. Now that would be awesome.

We had one starting in this area. Fell flat. Sucked, too. Linguini with a bread stick and drink were like 5 bucks. Only issue is that they used these plastic plates with some Teflon-ish coating on top, so since they barely strained their noodles...let's just say that half of your noodles were on the table. Or if it was a to go order and they didn't seal the practically unsealable lid on top then you had a bag full of hot noodles.

We had one starting in this area. Fell flat. Sucked, too. Linguini with a bread stick and drink were like 5 bucks. Only issue is that they used these plastic plates with some Teflon-ish coating on top, so since they barely strained their noodles...let's just say that half of your noodles were on the table. Or if it was a to go order and they didn't seal the practically unsealable lid on top then you had a bag full of hot noodles.

Sounds like a Fazoli's maybe. We had one in our area and GOT DAYUM they had good breadsticks. However everything else they served was mediocre.

Is this all over Maryland or just part? Northern, southern and the eastern shore might as well be 3 diffrent states when it comes to fast food.

Camwi

Sounds like a Fazoli's maybe. We had one in our area and GOT DAYUM they had good breadsticks. However everything else they served was mediocre.

I actually used to work at a Fazoli's. You're right in that everything else but the breadsticks was worthless.

Those breadsticks we took a brush and just coated with some kind of butter substitute. A lot of people came only to order dozens of those things.

As a former Marylander, I'd just like to say we are a civilized people and do not eat that god damned abortion known as a corn dog. Get that shit out of here.

daveo42

Banned
If I want a good, loaded, Chicago-style dog, I'll go to a place that primarily makes and specialized in them or just eat at home. I think I'll pass on these fast-food dogs. I'd say my one exception would be Skyline or Goldstar, though they are both know for their coneys.

I'm in Laurel and we have then here, so for sure in the North.

I'm on Kent Island, I'll see if I can check there tonight.

Good looking out GAF

As a former Marylander, I'd just like to say we are a civilized people and do not eat that god damned abortion known as a corn dog. Get that shit out of here.

Ehhhhhh they are at every county fair I've been to. Heck, I've had one that was made with Old Bay in the corn bread. It was quite tasty

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But then you have to go to the store and buy all the ingredients. And then actually make them.

There are no ingredients. Hot dogs come as hot dogs.

Tell that to all the other places that also sell hot dogs and surivive

Sure, at a baseball game, I guess you'd want a hot dog. But you also can't just go home at that point.

AnAnole

There are no ingredients. Hot dogs come as hot dogs.

Sure, at a baseball game, I guess you'd want a hot dog. But you also can't just go home at that point.

If you live in a big city/commute a long way to work, going home to eat during a lunch break is impossible. Of course, if you live in a big city, there are much better options for a hot dog than Burger King, but a hot dog anywhere is pretty much fast food.

And no, I'm not going to microwave a fucking hot dog in the break room microwave, I'd rather eat a grilled hot dog from Burger King if I'm in the mood for a hot dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom