• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King testing hot dogs and corn dogs in Michigan and Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

There are no ingredients. Hot dogs come as hot dogs.

Tell that to someone who makes their own homemade dogs.

meat-and-pastry-bag.jpg

hot-dog-3.jpg

Can you give a link to anything about this? This is the first I've heard of such a thing, it goes against a lot of the basic food science I know, and I'm unable to find anything related with the search terms "hot dog fire salt."

Yeah sorry, that was my fault as I missed to type the most important word in my original post.
the key word is "nitrosamine"

wiki said:
Nitrosamines are chemical compounds of the chemical structure R1N(-R2)-N=O, that is, a nitroso group bonded to an amine. Most nitrosamines are carcinogenic
In foods, nitrosamines are produced from nitrites and secondary amines, which often occur in the form of proteins. Their formation can occur only under certain conditions, including strongly acidic conditions such as that of the human stomach. High temperatures, as in frying, can also enhance the formation of nitrosamines.
These processes lead to significant levels of nitrosamines in many foodstuffs, especially beer, fish, and fish byproducts, and also in meat and cheese products preserved with nitrite pickling salt. The U.S. government established limits on the amount of nitrites used in meat products in order to decrease cancer risk in the population.[5] There are also rules about adding ascorbic acid or related compounds to meat, as the compounds inhibit formation of nitrosamines.

US National Library of Medicine / National Institutes of Health

Influence of various cooking methods on the concentrations of volatile N-nitrosamines and biogenic amines in dry-cured sausages:

N-nitrosamines, biogenic amines, and residual nitrites are harmful substances and are often present in cured meats. The effects of different cooking methods (boiling, pan-frying, deep-frying, and microwave) were investigated on their contents in dry-cured sausage. The various N-nitrosamines were isolated by a steam distillation method and analyzed by gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC-MS). The biogenic amines were determined after extraction with perchloric acid as dansyl derivatives by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) method. The results showed that initial dry-cured raw sausage contained 5.31 &#956;g/kg of total N-nitrosamines. Cooking by deep-frying or pan-frying resulted in products having the highest (P < 0.05) contents, compared with boiling or microwave treatments, which were not different from the raw. Although frying increased the content of N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA), N-nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA), and N-nitrosopyrrolidine (NPYR), it decreased the contents of histamine and cadaverine. Boiling and microwave treatments decreased the total biogenic amines significantly (P < 0.05). Residual nitrite was significantly reduced by cooking treatments. The results suggest that boiling and microwave treatments were more suitable methods for cured meat.

Here is a LONG study (pdf) about nitrosamine in foods and it's relation to various cancer forms: http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/12/4296.pdf

Nitrosamine is naturally in tons of foods (and other stuff) but it's the amount which makes it possibly dangerous.
When you grill or fry cured meat preserved with pickling salt at high temperature(such as open fire or directly above the grill) the nitrosamines levels are exploding.

There is also the case of the taiwanese boy who died from stage 3(!) colorectal cancer at the age of 17. He ate BBQed sausages daily since the age of 12. but that's more speculative than anything else
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2015/04/02/2003614985

youtube comment by some cook said:
I need to add something: The typical bratwurst is differentiated between raw sausages and pre-blanched (boiled?) sausages. The other type which can be eaten "as is" contains pickling salt and should not ever be grilled, because this creates nitrosamines, which are cancerogenous.

edit: I might add (before people accuse me of fearmongering or whatever) that I'm the opposite of a healthfreak, veggie-terrorist or food-police. I eat and grill BBQ at least 2-3 times a week in summer and almost every week in winter. I don't care for "indirect heat" or "no butter above fire"; I put my buttered steaks directly above the superhot pit and I smoke my pork for 12-14 hours in high intensity smoke.

Not a fan of their burgers, but a hot dog seems harder to mess up. Would be willing to try it.

I can enjoy one, but always with the lingering disappointment that it's not a sausage.

You have a weirdly narrow definition of "sausage" if you don't realize that hot dogs are a type of sausage.

Also, most other types of sausage wouldn't go nearly as well in a bun with the variety of toppings and condiments that pair well with hot dogs.

Lazyslob

Banned
There are no ingredients. Hot dogs come as hot dogs.

Sure, at a baseball game, I guess you'd want a hot dog. But you also can't just go home at that point.

yea yea yea and i can make a burger pretty easy too or make anything else a bit better than fast food places but the point of going there is that they make it quicker than i would with no clean up or anything else

Chucker

Kent Island had them, I'd assume Annapolis does as well.

Total came to $3.19 after tax, so there's that. Had the chili cheese dog. It wasn't bad, but I don't see myself grabbing another in a world where Sonic is just up the street in Edgewater from where I work downtown.

Good in a pinch I suppose.

Edit: No grill marks either. FRAUD!

crazyprac

Kent Island had them, I'd assume Annapolis does as well.

Total came to $3.19 after tax, so there's that. Had the chili cheese dog. It wasn't bad, but I don't see myself grabbing another in a world where Sonic is just up the street in Edgewater from where I work downtown.

Good in a pinch I suppose.

Edit: No grill marks either. FRAUD!

Are the buns toasty though? That's the real question. Imma hit one up near CP next fall if its still available. Even though that restaurant is god awful I'll have an excuse of stopping by after class.

Chucker

Are the buns toasty though? That's the real question. Imma hit one up near CP next fall if its still available. Even though that restaurant is god awful I'll have an excuse of stopping by after class.

They were, yes.
The cheese was just sprinkled on, like from a bag of Kraft shredded cheese, not even melted.

McDonald's did this over a decade ago, we'll only hot dogs, they weren't that big a seller.

That could be in large part because they didn't source their dogs from a quality source, such as Herta, for perhaps only 10p a dog, but no, they insisted on using crap tier meat and stupidly killed off what should have been a popular menu item (yes, I had one around 06)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom