• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

But what you want or buy what you need?

So, how u guys decide?

If you have the money you buy what you want or what you need?

Example; my pc broke and i need a new one. I have the cash, buy a nice rgb pc lol or a shitty pc to do what i need only?

Damn cant correct the title

Last edited:

nush

Depends what you use your PC for, gaming and high resource applications or for internet access and Facebook?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
So, how u guys decide?

If you have the money you buy what you want or what you need?

Example; my pc broke and i need a new one. I have the cash, buy a nice rgb pc lol or a shitty pc to do what i need only?
Your situation is one where I would weigh the cost out of the value I get from it. IMO it’s not worth it to cheap out on any computer I would personally be using. There are few things that illicit more rage in me than waiting for a slow computer.

Zeroing

Banned
If we want to get philosophical here… what you want is not what you need.

Wait is that from a song! I dunno i might be tipsy!

Ok here is my example! I want an iPhone 13 Pro! Do I need it? No
My old iPhone works perfectly!

TransTrender

Gold Member
Ok here is my example! I want an iPhone 13 Pro! Do I need it? No
Yeah OP, it's a bit of a balance.

If you can afford it then get the better thing you want which also satisfies what you need.

If I don't need it then I don't need to buy it.

Recent example here is fancy mountain bikes.
Rebuilt $12K bike from 2010 after a crazy season in 2019.
Bought SO a nice bike.
Jelly of her bike.
Goes for a ride and aside from front derailleur it still performs nicely.
Will use it for the rest of the season and will reevaluate if there's a catastrophic failure.

Dark Star

I try to save my money for when I need it, but I don't mind spending on my hobbies and stuff. Buying a nice PC or smartphone or tech in general is totally worth it if you think you're going to use it daily for at least a year or two. It's a decent investment.

But sometimes you just want things because they improve the quality of your life, and aren't really long term investments. Like most recently I realized that I ripped through every single pair of Vans I own skating, so I went to the outlet mall and bought a couple news pairs. They were both on sale, got BOGO 50 percent off, so only I only spent 70 bucks for two pairs of shoes. Now, if I was truly conservative with my money I wouldn't even have skateboarding as a hobby, but it brings me fulfillment and enjoyment and it's something I can do with friends, so it's worth it to me (replacing boards, shoes, wheels, etc all the time).

I personally would rather spend money on stuff like my hobbies than waste it on things that are far more "consumable" like expensive food, liquor/beer, cannabis, etc. That kind of stuff is a waste of money and only brings very short term enjoyment. Those are things (especially cannabis products) that I really, really WANT, but absolutely don't need, and my wallet is so much fatter because I cut it out of my life (at least temporarily while I focus on a few life goals).

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
If i only ever bought what i needed and never what i wanted i wouldn’t be satisfied with my living condition.
You want a gaming PC? Get one if you can afford it.

Last edited:
If it's not the main board, it is not hard to fix
I think is mobo.

All working but not monitor signal. (Leds, fan) Already test the monitor and cables and all good.

Took out the memory, hdd, gpu, even the cpu and the mobo dont beep or go to bios.

Tried new mobo battery as well.

Kagey K

Banned
After year of scrimping and saving to pay off child support and a mortgage.

I now have the money I wanted, but I can't bring myself to spend it.

I literally have no debt, (other than month to month credit card bills that are paid in full every month)

But everytime I think I need something I talk myself out of it.

There's always better things to do with that cash (like keep it)

Soodanim

Gold Member
After year of scrimping and saving to pay off child support and a mortgage.

I now have the money I wanted, but I can't bring myself to spend it.

I literally have no debt, (other than month to month credit card bills that are paid in full every month)

But everytime I think I need something I talk myself out of it.

There's always better things to do with that cash (like keep it)
There’s a way round that. Keep emergency funds, because no one should want to be in the red, then spend excess. I don’t mean spend it because you have it, but allow yourself luxuries and treat yourself every now and again if there’s something you want.

Kagey K

Banned
There’s a way round that. Keep emergency funds, because no one should want to be in the red, then spend excess. I don’t mean spend it because you have it, but allow yourself luxuries and treat yourself every now and again if there’s something you want.
My problem is as I see the account grow, I keep looking for new milestones.

I'll spend it when it hits 10k, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50.....

I just have the mindset that I did when I was young and poor, pour it all into the bill that threatens to cut you off first, but I have none of those anymore.

Soodanim

Gold Member
My problem is as I see the account grow, I keep looking for new milestones.

I'll spend it when it hits 10k, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50.....

I just have the mindset that I did when I was young and poor, pour it all into the bill that threatens to cut you off first, but I have none of those anymore.
I hear that, I like those milestones too. But at a certain point it’s also fine to introduce lower limits. “If I build this PC it won’t drop me below X”, which I’m fine with. Instead of “Look how high it is”, it can become “Look how low it won’t go if I buy something I want every once in a while”. You already have humble tastes for the most part by the sound of it, so you aren’t likely to go mad and buy big gold elephants for 30 grand a piece.

Kagey K

Banned
I hear that, I like those milestones too. But at a certain point it’s also fine to introduce lower limits. “If I build this PC it won’t drop me below X”, which I’m fine with. Instead of “Look how high it is”, it can become “Look how low it won’t go if I buy something I want every once in a while”. You already have humble tastes for the most part by the sound of it, so you aren’t likely to go mad and buy big gold elephants for 30 grand a piece.
Those gold elephants do sound tempting. 😅
Celebrate New Year GIF by San Diego Zoo

In all seriousness though I do spend more time thinking about things I could have, but don't really need than I should.

In a way I wish I was a bit more impulsive, but after years of not having it to pay off all the bills, it's hard to be in a place where I can do such things.

I just picture spending a bunch of cash of something frivolous and then an emergency comes up that I can't cover.

Last edited:
Top Bottom