• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will the next generation of Xbox be like?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Tbf think it will be one console/pc type box then a handheld portable, think in this market that's a good thing as the ASUS ROG & SteamDeck have changed the way I play, ASUS ROG especially as it can play Xbox Game Pass games natively.
I Love It Idea GIF by CBS

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't know that they are going to turn it around either, but seems certain they are going to try. Definitely have to approach this differently like HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 is suggesting. I said weeks ago that if they just release another Xbox that is simply the next iteration of RDNA then it will be a massive failure.

So with the assumption that Microsoft has something vastly different in mind, the big question is what will that be. Last time Microsoft tried to create something that appealed to a larger audience it became this weird "TV TV TV" monstosity. Phil Spencer's words of late seem to indicate they are going to attempt to broaden appeal once again. I certainly don't think that it is impossible that Microsoft reverses course on what they have already said, but if that happens then it means Nadella pulled a "Odin smite" move on Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond's plans. That would be a pivotal moment not just in Xbox history, but gaming overall.

This is going to be an interesting year. No doubt about that.
How vastly different can it be? It's a console. This is the problem here. They can change the architecture or how "fat" the Xbox front end is of the console but in the end how much different will it actually be from today's experience? This overthinking of consoles is what's killing MS. Sony and Nintendo do not agonize over their sometimes backwards console experiences. They focus on the content because that's the only thing that matters.

I agree it's going to be interesting but probably won't move the needle.

Topher

Gold Member
How vastly different can it be? It's a console. This is the problem here. They can change the architecture or how "fat" the Xbox front end is of the console but in the end how much different will it actually be from today's experience? This overthinking of consoles is what's killing MS. Sony and Nintendo do not agonize over their sometimes backwards console experiences. They focus on the content because that's the only thing that matters.

I agree it's going to be interesting but probably won't move the needle.

It is the billion dollar question. I have no idea what they can do that is going to have the impact they need. To me, there are two massive landminds in their way: 1) That it will be overhyped and/or 2) That it will be too expensive. We are not even talking about games yet which remains a crucial problem that Microsoft needs to solve for Xbox.

yazenov

And, again, like you said before. If plans had changed between Feb and yesterday, it would not be a highlight of Sara's email.

Look, I'd love to be wrong and we have another generation of Xbox hardware where I could frequent the weekly and monthly sales thread to make fun of the Xbox's lack of demand. But, don't kid yourself into thinking plans don't change, and the Xbox hardware division could be scrapped at any moment in favor of a multiplatform studio that recovers the 70B spent on studio acquisitions, and the sunken cost of the flop that is Game pass. It's a business after all.

DragonNCM

How do you think the next generation of Xbox will be? Please, don't confuse what you really think might happen with your personal desires. Here we are going to discuss what you think it's going to be, not what you wish it to be.

Microsoft executives call it "the next hardware". On the day of the announcement of the ports to PS5, they didn't say "next console", they said "next hardware" several times. For that and other reasons, I believe the next generation of Microsoft hardware (the rumored machine that would come out in 2026) will be a PC.

A PC with an "Xbox mode" when turned on, which would also have a "Windows mode" where you can view and manage Excel files, PDFs, Words, music, movies, browse the internet, etc. and also execute additional launchers such as Steam, Epic or GOG. Something similar to the native Steam Deck experience with desktop mode. In "Xbox mode" (it is actually a PC with the PC catalog), you will see the Xbox interface with Microsoft's own store. And in "Windows mode", everything else would be available.

For the Xbox games you had purchased in the past, they would give you a key so you can digitally download those same games in their PC version. Maintaining that catalog of Xbox games would be an advantage of buying this machine instead of a traditional PC. Saved games would also need to be made compatible somehow. They have to migrate Xbox accounts to Windows, which is a colossal technical challenge but a company as colossal as Microsoft could achieve it.

The hardware would no longer be subsidized; it wouldn't be sold below cost. That's why I see it most likely being sold at a very high price, between 800 and 900 dollars is my bet. It would be sold without disc drive and possibly with a keyboard and mouse.

The high price would explain why Sarah Bond said they were going to make the biggest technical leap ever seen in a hardware generation (which is actually impossible, no matter how expensive it is). They wouldn't have to worry about the installed base if they sell few machines, as it's a PC that already has a gigantic installed base.

The most devoted Xbox fans would likely resist this concept at first, but I believe many would eventually embrace it enthusiastically. With this machine they could play most of their old Xbox games, they could play all PC games and all PS5/PS6 games that have been ported to PC.

The Microsoft handheld would be somewhat similar, also with hardware that wouldn't be sold below cost. It will be a PC like Steam Deck but with a revamped, lighter and better-designed version of Windows, optimized for portable gaming. I think a handheld with specifications slightly higher than Series S is feasible a little later, maybe around 2027.
computer-gaming-pc-on-desk-in-dark-room-with-neon-futuristic-modern-workplace.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Look, I'd love to be wrong and we have another generation of Xbox hardware where I could frequent the weekly and monthly sales thread to make fun of the Xbox's lack of demand. But, don't kid yourself into thinking plans don't change, and the Xbox hardware division could be scrapped at any moment in favor of a multiplatform studio that recovers the 70B spent on studio acquisitions, and the sunken cost of the flop that is Game pass. It's a business after all.

It's impressive how someone can throw in this much hyperbole in just a two line reply.

Activision brings in close to 8~9 billion revenue annually, that $70bn is going to pay for itself in less than a decade. Game Pass, alone, brings in nearly 3 billion in revenue annually and has been cited as something profitable more than once.

Finally, can plans change? Of course they can, but as of the emails leaked two days ago, they had not. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

yazenov

It's impressive how someone can throw in this much hyperbole in just a two line reply.

Activision brings in close to 8~9 billion revenue annually, that $70bn is going to pay for itself in less than a decade. Game Pass, alone, brings in nearly 3 billion in revenue annually and has been cited as something profitable more than once.

Revenue does not equal profit. Learn the basics.

What Is Return on Investment (ROI)?​

Return on investment (ROI) is a performance measure used to evaluate the efficiency or profitability of an investment or compare the efficiency of a number of different investments. ROI tries to directly measure the amount of return on a particular investment, relative to the investment’s cost.

Last edited:

yazenov

Yes, those two words are indeed not the same. The point still stands, if you think a business acquisition is made with the expectation that it needs to pay for itself with pure profit in 4~5 years, you would be wrong.

You said :
Activision brings in close to 8~9 billion revenue annually, that $70bn is going to pay for itself in less than a decade.

So much nonsense in one sentence. I'd like to know how it's going to pay for itself "in less than a decade" (pay for itself in revenue lol) without going multiplatform like the Minecraft purchase. Please let me know.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You said :

So much nonsense in one sentence. I'd like to know how it's going to pay for itself "in less than a decade" (pay itself in revenue lol) without going multiplatform like the Minecraft purchase. Please let me know.

By bringing in equal to or more than $70bn in revenue to MS in the next 10 year or less.

I don't think I said anything that complicated here.

The only thing absurd is your expectation that unless they bring in $70bn in pure profit, it won't be deemed a successful acquisition.

Also, Activision's games, namely CoD, will still get an annual PS5 release with the likely addition of Switch releases too, which wasn't happening before. They're not cutting off any of their viable revenue streams, so again, I don't know what I said that was too complicated for you to understand here, it was very basic stuff.

yazenov

Most smaller businesses can take multiple years to turn a profit, and here you are thinking MS made a $70bn acquisition expecting otherwise.

You're not one of those '2027' nutters, are you?

You do know that the 8~9 billion revenue annually which was pointed out was the fact its games were multiplatform. What would happen if you excluded one of the biggest platforms that contributed to that revenue out of the equation? And no, it's not just Call of Duty.

Thinking Think GIF by Big Brother

Most smaller businesses can take multiple years to turn a profit, and here you are thinking MS made a $70bn acquisition expecting otherwise.

You're not one of those '2027' nutters, are you?

A good proxy is that the acquisition could pay for itself in less than a decade. Activision's cashflow would require like 35 years. It was a pretty terrible investment and I'm not sure what Microsoft's gameplan was with that. Maybe they were okay wasting money on this pet project knowing ROI would be extremely low

adamsapple

You do know that the 8~9 billion revenue annually which was pointed out was the fact its games were multiplatform. What would happen if you excluded one of the biggest platforms that contributed to that revenue out of the equation? And no, it's not just Call of Duty.

King is mobile, Diablo comes once a decade and we already know CoD is committed for at least 10 years. Like I said before, they're not cutting off any of the viable sources of revenue.

We're just going in circles here, Yez.

Problem is, the S has sold the most. So its an Achilles heel they may carry forward.

That was based on the first 2 years, it has evened out considerably since then.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

King is mobile, Diablo comes once a decade and we already know CoD is committed for at least 10 years. Like I said before, they're not cutting off any of the viable sources of revenue.

Coming from the X1X I always saw the S as a side ways move. Especially knowing it wouldn't be able to run some of the already existing great enhancements. I was surprised to see the S do so well. Controversial, but I'll always see the S ultimately as a negative with regards what the X could be doing. But clearly I speak for a smaller piece of Xbox's customer base. Weird gen for me and Xbox.

CLW

you need to relax mila kunis GIF

COLT you need to calm down I know your ENTIRE future is dependent upon Phil Spencer but this is a bad look....even for YOU

adamsapple

Coming from the X1X I always saw the S as a side ways move. Especially knowing it wouldn't be able to run some of the already existing great enhancements. I was surprised to see the S do so well. Controversial, but I'll always see the S ultimately as a negative with regards what the X could be doing. But clearly I speak for a smaller piece of Xbox's customer base. Weird gen for me and Xbox.

In the first two years, S selling more makes all the sense as there was a pretty well covered shortages of the X and PS5, and of course it being $200 cheaper didn't harm folks who wanted the cheapest entry point to the new generation.

I wonder about the legal aspects of it. It may be not that easy for MS to do such thing. They signed an agreement with a publisher to have the game on a specific console and charged 30% for it. The agreement probably precludes having the game on PC through an Xbox emulator.
I assume any game with the Play Anywhere licence, would allow it. As it gives you right to play on PC too.

King Dazzar

In the first two years, S selling more makes all the sense as there was a pretty well covered shortages of the X and PS5, and of course it being $200 cheaper didn't harm folks who wanted the cheapest entry point to the new generation.
So for the past couple of years, the X has proven the more popular machine? Out of interest do we know what the split is for the past couple of years globally?

Finally, can plans change? Of course they can, but as of the emails leaked two days ago, they had not. 🤷‍♂️
Revenue is not profit :messenger_grinning_squinting:

adamsapple

So for the past couple of years, the X has proven the more popular machine? Out of interest do we know what the split is for the past couple of years globally?

Mat is the only 'source' that has revealed this kind of info, I don't think Dring has revealed splits like this in Europe and MS will probably never do that either.

Per Mat, the split is now closer to 50/50, which bodes well for X, as it was 78/22 ~ at the start of 2022.

Top Bottom