• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV PC Game Pass users will need to install Battle.net in order to play; Achievements not supported

Topher

Gold Member
Diablo IV will make a bit of history tomorrow, as it becomes the first Activision Blizzard title to arrive of Game Pass since Microsoft’s massive $69B acquisition of the company last year.

However, if you’re planning on crushing Lilith and her horde in Sanctuary via PC Game Pass, you’ll need to take a few extra steps in order to do so. Microsoft confirmed that PC Game Pass players will need to download Battle.net and link their accounts in order to access the title.

For those who’ve already got a Battle account, that might not be too much of a pain, but this news might make some other gamers a little hesitant.

The good news is that, if you do still want to play, it’s pretty straightforward to get going, and we’ve listed what you need to do below.

How can I play Diablo IV on PC Game Pass?​

• Open the Xbox App on PC (make sure you're signed in with the Microsoft account associated with your GP sub)
  • Click on Diablo 4 and then the install button
  • Click 'Install Battle.net' when prompted and complete installation (if you already have Battle.net installed, you'll automatically skip to the next step)
  • You’ll then be prompted to connect your Battle.net and Microsoft accounts (if you don't already have a Battle.net account, you'll create one here)
  • Once Battle.net is downloaded and your accounts are connected, you can the complete Diablo IV's installation

Will I be able to unlock Xbox Achievements with Diablo IV on PC Game Pass?​

Arguably more frustrating than the niggly task of downloading and connecting accounts in order to play is the lack of Xbox Achievements you'll be able to unlock if you're playing Diablo IV via PC GP. Battle.net does have its own rewards system, and playing the game on PC Game Pass through the Battle.net service will unlock these, but they won't count towards your Xbox Gamerscore, unfortunately.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Jesb

Yeah I just tried to play this on gfn and it tells me I need a battle.net account. Get the fuck out of here.

NickFire

I‘d give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they want achievements integrated but the complexity would take longer to implement. And with the month delay before season 4 I think people will be happier to get it now then later.

ntropy

This level of crutches is what 65 billions are like. You can do either that or…

Step 1: Download Steam
Step 2: Find cheap Last Epoch key
Step 3: Activate it and forget about D4

Pretty handy guide for fellow PC players methinks
LE has a good crafting system, skill tree, loot filter, but the combat is dull. went back to d4 lol

LordBritish

phil has said xbox will have its own pc game store app in the future...
battle.net is going bye bye in the future folks... i wouldnt be suprised if they just rebrand it at first...

Bojji

someone has the video of the streamer who got interrupted by battle.net update during an Elder Ring battle boss :D

All those launchers are cancer and one of the worst aspects of pc gaming. I have all this shit off in startup, the best one is gamepass app that starts Ubisoft connect and ea app so you have 3 shit launchers instead of one with one click, lol.

Gamezone

Gold Member
No achievements on something that's considered to be a first party title now is just laughable. They should just get rid of that extra launcher in my opinion.

Cyberpunkd

I‘d give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they want achievements integrated but the complexity would take longer to implement. And with the month delay before season 4 I think people will be happier to get it now then later.
Happy Work From Home GIF by Scaler

Achievements are already present in game, on Xbox, PS and Steam. There is nothing complex about having them, it’s laziness.

DavidGzz

If anyone wants to jump into Diablo 4, I'd wait until Season 4 drops in May before doing so. Some major changes coming to the game.

Yeah, if they haven't played at all, they can play and beat the main story, get the Lillith statues out of the way for the permanent stat upgrades, and/or at least see which class plays better in their opinion but don't get to max level until season 4.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Unfortutately, another log on the lack of "plug and play" on PC. I came accross this the other day and said nope, not now........

Hudo

Microsoft should kill off Battle.net. There's no real reason for it to exist anymore. Battle.net was awesome back then as a relatively straightforward way to play Blizzard games online because there were no other systems in place that could be used, so Blizzard had to roll out their own.

Kenpachii

Microsoft should kill off Battle.net. There's no real reason for it to exist anymore. Battle.net was awesome back then as a relatively straightforward way to play Blizzard games online because there were no other systems in place that could be used, so Blizzard had to roll out their own.

battle.net has probably the same amount of active users as steam has. So won't happen.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This is typical on PC GP where you need the Ubi and EA launchers as well. That's just one of the standard installers that a gamer should have if Starcraft is a throwback.

Topher

Gold Member
Unfortutately, another log on the lack of "plug and play" on PC. I came accross this the other day and said nope, not now........

What does this have to do with "plug and play" on PC? This is just due to battle.net not having achievements.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
What does this have to do with "plug and play" on PC? This is just due to battle.net not having achievements.

Because if you are sitting in front of a TV with jusy a controller in hand, and battle net is not installed, it's instantly a hurdle to play the game. (Time, grabbing another control device, etc)
On console no such issue exists.

Shubh_C63

This has been a thing for a while, for Ubi games like Division also. Steam opens Uplay to play.

Though MS being the "software king" and owning both gamepass and Blizzard still not able to work is a sad joke.

Top Bottom