• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a new monitor. Help me understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm gonna go pick up a new monitor today. I would like an LCD due to the space saving and the appearance. But I have read that for gaming it's not the best choice. I do not seem to hear that as much now though. Have LCDs gotten much better lately? If I go the route of LCD what are the important specs I should be looking for? What are the minimum specs that I should be looking for?
I'm in Canada and Futureshop sells a product by Benq that is decently priced.
Benq: 17" LCD monitor, 450:1 contrast ratio, 260 CD/m 2 Brightness, 25ms response time

Is this good?
They Have a monitor from Sharp that has the similar specs but has 16ms response time.

What's the response time???

Sorry for the n00b questions.
I can tell you almost everything about the field I work in which is sports supplements and sports training. But when it comes to computers I'm totally lost.

25ms response time means that you'll never see beyond 40FPS on that monitor, no matter how good the video card (1sec / .025ms = 40FPS).

16ms RT will let you see 60FPS, and 12ms RT will let you see 83FPS, etc...

As far as I know, 12ms is best that LCDs on sale right now can do. I'd say a good economical 16ms LCD like the LG models are fine.

Grifter

My monitor just crapped itself too. I need a new 19' CRT. Any recommendations for performance/budget? I hear Samsung is a good choice in that category.

MoxManiac

The Samsung 997f 19" for $200 at places like BestBuy is good, but it isn't aperture grill, which dissapointed me. Tigerdirect has some nice 19" aperture grill monitors that are refurbished for $105 if you dare to take the chance.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
im kinda partial to hitachi crt monitors. I dunno if they still make them though might've switched completely to lcd now but they are a great buy if you can find one.

Grifter said:
My monitor just crapped itself too. I need a new 19' CRT. Any recommendations for performance/budget? I hear Samsung is a good choice in that category.

I just bought this -

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-220&depa=0

It keeps going up in price, though...It was about $260 when I bought it. It's a really, really nice monitor. Very clear and very bright. I have it at 1280X960 and it's at 90hertz.

Grifter

Manabanana said:
I just bought this -

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-220&depa=0

It keeps going up in price, though...It was about $260 when I bought it. It's a really, really nice monitor. Very clear and very bright. I have it at 1280X960 and it's at 90hertz.

Any idea why it's going up in price? Is it that much better than other monitors at that price?

MoxManiac said:
The Samsung 997f 19" for $200 at places like BestBuy is good, but it isn't aperture grill, which dissapointed me. Tigerdirect has some nice 19" aperture grill monitors that are refurbished for $105 if you dare to take the chance..

How are you liking it? I saw it at my BB and am comparing prices on that model.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I picked up a 17" Benq with 12ms response time. Freakin beautiful monitor. I was gonna go CRT due to price and I know that they are a bit crisper but I couldn't handle the hugeness of them. Ugh. This looks much nicer with my new set-up.

I just picked up a Samsung 172x LCD monitor (17 inches, 12 ms)

It's so damn sexy.

172X_small.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^

He knows what's up...

I game and I'm anal and I love LCD monitors...

dual1Small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom