• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me buy a gaming monitor.

Labadal

Hello. I am in need of a new monitor for my PC. I have at most $350 to spend. I prioritize refresh rate over resolution, but if I can find something great for cheap, then great! I am looking at 27-32".

I don't really know what to look for. I am not informed when it comes to what is good or not. Your help is appreciated.

What resolution do you play at now?

I'd say for 1080p then you want a 24" display, 1440p then 24-27", 4K then 27" and above. 4K and high refresh rate is hard to push unless you have a powerful PC. What are your specs?

What I'd recommend is a 1440p 144hz monitor. As everyone likes to say, it's the "sweetspot". They are cheaper than 4K obviously. Resolution is clear enough but not as demanding as 4K. And that lets you chase higher frames. 144hz is the standard on high refresh rate gaming monitors. You can get 120hz TVs or 165-360Hz monitors. I honestly wouldn't bother for anything beyond a 175Hz monitor unless you want to competitively play esports stuff. Even though monitors will advertise as 165-175Hz you should probably just run them at 144hz. My monitor is advertised as 165hz but I run it at 144hz.

If you're getting a 144hz display then Gsync is a must. In fact, you'd probably struggle to find a non VRR high refresh monitor. If you have an AMD GPU you are generally looking for anything that has Freesync. With Nvidia you should make sure the monitor you want to buy is on this list:

Gsync Compatible monitors are basically Freesync monitors that have been tested to have basic VRR functionality and quality. You can use an Nvidia card with them.

I think that might answer most things if you're new to monitors. If you have any questions I'll try to help :D

Last edited:

Labadal

Thank you for the resoonse! I have an AMD PC.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 100MB
Seasonic Focus GX 850W
PowerColor Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB Red Devil Ultimat
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Vengeance (x2)
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

I haven't had this for that long. I'm playing at 1080 resolution, because that's what my current monitor allows. If it's any help, I prefer good refresh rate over 4K. 1440 is an acceptable tradeoff.

I can provide more info if needed.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
$350 dollar budget and your size aim is 27" - 32"

Mate you are in the golden circle of monitors there.
You could probably even find some UltraWides for ~350 on sale.

Alot of them are all using the same panel anyway.

Off head with a slight stretch of your budget. (all these monitors are gaming beasts you cant go wrong with any of them)

Gigabyte M27Q
Samsung Odyssey G5
LG 27GN750
HP Omen 27c
MSI Optix G273QF
LG 32GK650F
LG 32GN650B
LG 32GB600B
Dell S2722
Dell S3422DWG - UltraWide version of the above. (can attest to it as I use it)

I could probably keep going....but you get the idea, at your budget range there are a ton of monitors with HFR panels at 1080p - 1440p.

Thank you for the resoonse! I have an AMD PC.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 100MB
Seasonic Focus GX 850W
PowerColor Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB Red Devil Ultimat
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Vengeance (x2)
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

I haven't had this for that long. I'm playing at 1080 resolution, because that's what my current monitor allows. If it's any help, I prefer good refresh rate over 4K. 1440 is an acceptable tradeoff.

I can provide more info if needed.
Your PC should be able to handle 1440p no problem!

Sounds like a 1440p 144hz monitor would be perfect for you. I have an Asus VG27AQ which is a few years old. I think the latest model is the VG27AQ1A. I used to have a Dell and the latest one of that I think is the S2721DGFA.

I must admit I'm not up to date on the latest new monitors. When I picked my current monitor I literally just picked the one that RTings recommended as the best gaming monitor at the time. This might be a good place to start

T4keD0wN

5800x3d + 6900xt should be amazing for truly high refresh rates.
Since HRR is what you prefer, id probably go for something like:

M27Q X​

XG27AQM​

both have the benefit of being able to use VRR+BFI at the same time so the motion clarity at high refresh rates is amazing.

Last edited:

Labadal

Thank you guys. I'll grab one by in the upcoming days. I've seen some of the recomnended ones on other places, too.

Minsc

Gold Member
big tv is a good choice but OP got 350$ budget so not gonna happen.
6900xt is good enough for 4k at high fps btw

I guess it depends on how big you want! I keep seeing the 55" size (4k HDR, amazon fire stick built in, etc) under $300 these days (~$270 to be exact - and that's without even deal hunting, I'm sure you can probably get close to $150 if you're desperate), kinda crazy they can price something like that so much less than a monitor that's 1/3 the size.

Last edited:
get a big tv instead
Are you even reading what OP is saying?

$350 budget, 27-32" size, and wants high refresh rate over resolution. the only big TVs you can get are way more than $350 and they are 4K 120Hz with 42" or higher.

i have a "big tv" i could hook my PC up to but it's a pain in the ass. a good 1440p 144hz monitor is much more preferable in most situations for me.

Black_Stride

Your PC should be able to handle 1440p no problem!

Sounds like a 1440p 144hz monitor would be perfect for you. I have an Asus VG27AQ which is a few years old. I think the latest model is the VG27AQ1A. I used to have a Dell and the latest one of that I think is the S2721DGFA.

I must admit I'm not up to date on the latest new monitors. When I picked my current monitor I literally just picked the one that RTings recommended as the best gaming monitor at the time. This might be a good place to start

Read the OP.
$350 is Ops budget.
900 dollars is alittle outside of that range.

The LGs are a good choice though.
get a big tv instead

That's what smart people do, but this thread is not for smart people.

For 350 dollars?
Name them!
Cuz I might jump on one of those too if its HFR atleast 1440p and ~$350.

Well, I ordered this one.
Samsung does curved VA panels very well

I had one of their previous edge lit models and currently on their 32" mini LED curved VA panels and they are great.

If fact this mini LED monitor is my favorite monitor and I have owned a lot of monitors over the years

Depending on the game I totally prefer this monitor over the 42" OLED C2

Black_Stride

Pass by your local electronics shop.
I did they had a shitty HiSense TV that doesnt hold a candle to a Ultrawide.
To make matters worse it was 4K60......what kind of peasantry is that?
Even even worse it only had HDMI 2.0.

Which is why I asked for some brands so i can just order in.

Well, I ordered this one.
I don't think anyone brought it up, but I would have asked which kind of monitors you're used to. This is a VA panel, and some people really hate the smearing and poor motion on VA panels, especially at higher refresh rates. (The higher-end Samsung VA panel in the G7 is one of the few that doesn't have this issue.) Viewing angle distortion is a little worse too, but curved models counteract this quite well.

On the other hand, the contrast ratio of VA is much greater. It looks less hazy and washed-out in contrasted images.

So be forewarned that motion may be more smeary than you are used to.

Read the OP.
$350 is Ops budget.
900 dollars is alittle outside of that range.

The LGs are a good choice though.

For 350 dollars?
Name them!
Cuz I might jump on one of those too if its HFR atleast 1440p and ~$350.
wtf you talking about? where did i recommend anything at $900? as i said i don't know much about recent monitors and i dont know what you can get for $350 cause i ain't american. i just pointed OP to rtings to get a start at looking at monitors. if you're suggesting a 1440p monitor is $900 then surely that's bullshit. i would guess you could get one for OPs budget.

When looking for a good gaming monitor within your budget, there are several factors to consider:

1. Refresh rate: The refresh rate is the number of times the monitor updates its image per second. A higher refresh rate means smoother and more responsive gameplay. For gaming, a minimum of 120Hz is recommended, but if your budget allows it, look for monitors with 144Hz or even 165Hz.
  2. Response time: This is the time it takes for a pixel to change color. A lower response time means less motion blur and ghosting, which is important for fast-paced games. Look for monitors with a response time of 1ms or lower.
  3. Resolution: The resolution is the number of pixels on the screen. Higher resolutions mean more detail and sharper images, but they also require a more powerful graphics card to run smoothly. For a good balance between image quality and performance, consider a monitor with 1080p or 1440p resolution.
  4. Panel type: There are three main panel types: TN, IPS, and VA. TN panels are the fastest and cheapest, but they have poor viewing angles and color accuracy. IPS panels have better color accuracy and viewing angles, but they are slower and more expensive. VA panels have the best contrast and black levels, but they are slower and can suffer from ghosting.
  5. Size: Consider the size of the monitor that will best suit your gaming needs. Larger monitors provide a more immersive experience, but they can also be more expensive and require a more powerful graphics card to run smoothly.
  6. Additional features: Some monitors come with additional features like G-Sync or FreeSync, which help to synchronize the monitor's refresh rate with the graphics card to eliminate screen tearing and stuttering. These features can help to improve the gaming experience, but they also come at a premium.
By considering these factors, you should be able to find a good gaming monitor within your budget that meets your needs and preferences.*

*I was lazy, so I asked ChatGPT

Black_Stride

wtf you talking about? where did i recommend anything at $900? as i said i don't know much about recent monitors and i dont know what you can get for $350 cause i ain't american. i just pointed OP to rtings to get a start at looking at monitors. if you're suggesting a 1440p monitor is $900 then surely that's bullshit. i would guess you could get one for OPs budget.
I guess you didnt follow the very link you posted.
Cuz
the 1st monitor is 900 dollars
the 2nd monitor is ~500 dollars
the two LGs are the only ones within budget for the OP.

StickStack

Neo Member
Can't go wrong with an Aorus. I picked up the 48" 4k when it was on sale.

Check Slickdeals for small versions, should be able to find one in that price range.

Rob_27

Anything good for 4k hdr 27+inch on PS5 & XSX gotta get ready for Starfield and the like. Needs good black levels and no motion issues.
This is for the office as have a 65 LG OLED in the lounge.

Ta.

Top Bottom