• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a PCIe gen5 m2 SS2 worth it?

OverHeat

« generous god »
I currently have 2 990 pro Samsung ssd and was thinking of buying this will I see a difference in gaming?
Crucial Disque SSD interne T700 Gen5 NVMe M.2 de 2 To – Jusqu'à 12 400 Mo/s – DirectStorage activé – CT2000T700SSD3 – Gaming, Photographie, Montage vidéo et conception – Disque SSD interne https://a.co/d/egQWGUG

T4keD0wN

Not in gaming, games will still be software limited and even if they werent the random reads and the controllers will not make a significant difference anyway.

There will be a difference when reading, writing and moving large files though (sequential speeds are not really relevant for gaming).

Last edited:

Three

Not in gaming, games will still be software limited and even if they werent the random reads and the controllers will not make a significant difference anyway.

There will be a difference when reading, writing and moving large files though (sequential speeds are not really relevant for gaming).
I would say even then it's not worth it because you would usually be transferring from something slow anyway.

GHG

Only if you're transferring from a gen5 drive to a gen5 drive though, so you'd need 2 to take advantage of that.

Absolutely no point. I recently put one into a friends PC. Zero difference while gaming compared to even his old PCIe 3.0 SSD. Told him beforehand, but he just had to have it.

Kenpachii

could make a difference maybe in ratchet and clank. But yea practically no differences in anything. I opted for a gen 4 ssd over 5 even while my laptop supports 5.

Ulysses 31

If you have another gen4 slot empty, yes. Check the manual online, not every motherboard pcie slot is always capable of gen4 speed. Mine has some gen5, some gen4 and even gen3 slots for example.
He don't need no free M.2 slot if he has free PCI-E 4.0/5.0 slot(s). He can get one of them expansion cards.

I use this one with 4 M.2. My Windows drive is on it.
02b4b1442076d976e38ddf5e4f2897da

MSI has one too, shorter but 2 slot.
s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy any gen 5 ssd right now. PCIE 4 is where it's at. Maybe in a few years when gen 5 drives are better and more games make use of SSD.

gen 5 ssd run hotter and i think they need active cooling if they are being pushed hard.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
So in conclusion beside E-penis it’s not worth it! Thx guys

My personal experience:

I had my gen4 SSD die a while back and i had to file for warranty, while i waited for the replacement i had to play games on a Gen2 SSD which is considerably slower than Gen4. When i went back to Gen4 i realized all the loading in the games i were playing was basically the same (RE4 Remake, FFXV etc)

So i would recommend you getting Gen4 SSDs which are much cheaper nowdays that have a lot of storage instead. You would only need Gen5 SSDs if you work on a VFX company or were a entushiast that earns 6 figures a year.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Unless you're a professional that needs high-end storage you should always opt for more storage over faster storage. There's no meaningful difference between a 3.5GB/s PCIe 3.0 and 15GB/s PCIe5 if all you do is play games.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

He don't need no free M.2 slot if he has free PCI-E 4.0/5.0 slot(s). He can get one of them expansion cards.

I use this one with 4 M.2. My Windows drive is on it.
02b4b1442076d976e38ddf5e4f2897da

MSI has one too, shorter but 2 slot.
s-l400.jpg
Yeah, thats still counts as a pcie slot in my book.
I have one myself, its pretty great, but it was a pain to squeeze it right below the gpu. I cant imagine having one with massive active cooling, the msi one is cursed.

Sometimes having one of those slots occupied can limit the speeds on another pcie lane(s) so best to be cautios how one uses them.

Kilau

You won't see any notable difference in gaming in the short term, but direct storage support is improving and games like Starfield on PC show us how much better load times on PC can be. Ultimately though, you'll have great benchmarking numbers and that's really all that matters. :messenger_winking:

do it jewish GIF

OverHeat

« generous god »
You won't see any notable difference in gaming in the short term, but direct storage support is improving and games like Starfield on PC show us how much better load times on PC can be. Ultimately though, you'll have great benchmarking numbers and that's really all that matters. :messenger_winking:

do it jewish GIF
…must resist temptation to benchmark

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
SN850X is all you need.

If you are in the US its currently the best bang for buck SSD if you need a balance of speed and random read/write.

If you are using the SSD for gaming then literally any Gen4 drive will do just fine because in gaming random read/write matters more than sequential, so even "slow" drives like the Crucial P3 is an absolute beast.

PaDS9s3.png

Ulysses 31

SN850X is all you need.

If you are in the US its currently the best bang for buck SSD if you need a balance of speed and random read/write.

If you are using the SSD for gaming then literally any Gen4 drive will do just fine because in gaming random read/write matters more than sequential, so even "slow" drives like the Crucial P3 is an absolute beast.

PaDS9s3.png
The Samsung 990 Pro with its higher IOPS and speed seems the better choice if you're not going beyond 2TB.

6dd3b4f4-a93a-4b8d-a957-63cb3ab55282.jpg

There's also a heatsink version.

Samsung-990-PRO-Heatsink-2TB-PCIe-4.0-(tot-7.450MB-s)-NVMe-M.2-(2280)-Interne-Solid-State-Drive-(SSD.jpg

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The Samsung 990 Pro with its higher IOPS and speed seems the better choice if you're not going beyond 2TB.

6dd3b4f4-a93a-4b8d-a957-63cb3ab55282.jpg

There's also a heatsink version.

Samsung-990-PRO-Heatsink-2TB-PCIe-4.0-(tot-7.450MB-s)-NVMe-M.2-(2280)-Interne-Solid-State-Drive-(SSD.jpg
The 990 Pro is like 100 dollars for 1TB.
The SN850X is 70 dollars for 1TB.

What do you gain for that ~30 dollars?
Nothing perceptible.

Danknugz

i'm not too familiar as I just have a sammy 980 and a 990 more recently. what's your chipset? z790 would need to share pcie lanes with the gpu, x8/x8 but i don't think gpus utilize the entire x16 lanes.

OverHeat

« generous god »
i'm not too familiar as I just have a sammy 980 and a 990 more recently. what's your chipset? z790 would need to share pcie lanes with the gpu, x8/x8 but i don't think gpus utilize the entire x16 lanes.
Z670E-E

Last edited:

Brock2621

From what I've heard no, and it gets super hot, moving some Mobo manufactures to add active cooling fans for them and they usually have incredibly annoying whines.

Top Bottom