• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a PCIe gen5 m2 SS2 worth it?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I bought a 4TB SN850X this year and I plan to keep it for a loooooong time. My cpu (10700k) limits me to pcie 3.0 speeds but it's still plenty fast.

Danknugz

yeah so when you use a gen 5 slot the CPU will need to split the 16 lanes and leave only 8 for your GPU. But as I said i'm not sure there's much performance difference when using x8 vs x16 on the GPU side because even the 4090 is only pci 4, so pci 5 x8 is essentially pci4 x16 I believe.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just happened to come across this video while going through this thread:

If you get one, make sure you've got some airflow blowing across it.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
I just happened to come across this video while going through this thread:

If you get one, make sure you've got some airflow blowing across it.

Got an open case you make me doubt now lol
Fuck it canceled the order.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I currently have 2 990 pro Samsung ssd and was thinking of buying this will I see a difference in gaming?
Crucial Disque SSD interne T700 Gen5 NVMe M.2 de 2 To – Jusqu'à 12 400 Mo/s – DirectStorage activé – CT2000T700SSD3 – Gaming, Photographie, Montage vidéo et conception – Disque SSD interne https://a.co/d/egQWGUG
How is your system currently bi-furicating the motherboard's PCIe lanes across slots for devices, currently?

Looking at the headline bandwidth of the nvme and looking to the future with better utilisation of a Gen 5 nvme - assuming you buy it - would you need to change the lane to slot/port configuration (bifurication) to supply adequate lanes to for that 12GB/s bandwidth? And if so, does your board supply enough PCIE bandwidth for the GPU, your existing Gen 4 drives at full bandwidth and the new nvme at full bandwith?

In a thread yesterday - a new build of AMD 7800 - someone said they and their PC shop couldn't get the gen 5 drive working on their board to install Windows, dropping back to a gen 4, and my first thought was they might have needed to manually bifuricate to use the drive.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not at all remotely worth it. Gen 5 also runs VERY hot and you will likely be throttling to Gen 4 speeds anyway.

A 990 with the latest firmware is a good choice.

OverHeat

« generous god »
ZoWYOTn.jpg

Celcius Celcius

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Gotcha, thanks. I wish Intel's boards had more pci-e gen 5 lanes. Looks like AMD's ahead in this area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom