• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying an original PS3 with PS2 BC in 2022. Worth it?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
You’re really rolling the dice with hardware that old. Emulation is so good for ps3/ps2 that to me it’s not worth it. These games look way better on modern TVs through emulation. But ps3 is a cool system to have.

Romulus

Yeah emulation is the way to go. Ps2 works on android now and runs at higher resolutions than the ps3 could ever achieve. Not that phone even needs it. But ps3 games always looked like ass to me, too many browns, shitty resolution and awful framerates. Not to mention the hardware was never rock solid even when it launched, now it's far worse.

RAIDEN1

Yes, because we all know that Sony's BC efforts with their "NEW PLAN" will not be on point. ....more so if you look at the initial release they have done so far.....do we really think they will release Virtua Fighter 4, Destruction Derby 2, Ridge Racer...all ready and waiting for you on their new online plan?

Akt

Banned
Just emulate stuff.

Emulation scene is wilder than ever, and software like RPCS3 is being developed like it is supposed to cure cancer, and AIDS.

Bojji

This old console will die on you, or it was already dead and rebailed (and it will die again for sure).

emulation is one way to go, but not every PS2 game works flawlessly. I'm currently playing Disaster Report, and I have to switch to Software for some scenes
The success of PS2 emulation seems to be greatly exaggerated… I feel like every single time PS2 emulation is brought up, there are always people bringing up how many problems PS2 emulation has. Might as well just buy a modded PS2 or something

Banned
The success of PS2 emulation seems to be greatly exaggerated… I feel like every single time PS2 emulation is brought up, there are always people bringing up how many problems PS2 emulation has. Might as well just buy a modded PS2 or something

well running PS2 games at stock PS2 settings is pretty easy that's basically what happens when you run them in software mode.

it's only when you want to play them at higher resolution and other enhancements that you run into issues.
and most mainstream games run basically flawlessly.

once the standalone PCSX2 on Xbox is fully usable that will become a really good alternative to a PS2 imo.

Last edited:

Calverz

YES.
N2MvcGW.jpg
God it really shows how much better looking it was compared to ps5.

Mine died unfortunately. I have a slim under my tv though because I have no other way of playing ridge racer 7

MiguelItUp

I'd say it's absolutely worth it, I loved my fatty PS3. However, considering how long it's been, I'd say it's a pretty big gamble nowadays depending on the condition of the console, the price, etc. I mean, if anything happens to it, I'm sure there are some places that could repair it. But I'd be worried you'd be put in a position where something happens and you're stuck. But if the price isn't bad, and the condition is right, well then maybe the gamble is worth it.

Patrick S.

Banned
For ages now you can just downgrade the firmware of any PS3 but the ultra slim and put a custom firmware on it, and just use software emulation, without having to use a hardware flasher. You just need a USB thumb drive. You can also put retroarch on it, IIRC.

Patrick S.

Banned
I've seen people selling them for 250 euros. I'm trying to negotiate with one guy selling it for 250 euros but since it has no box, i'm going to try to go for 200 euros. I really don't see them much cheaper than this.
The YLOD is something that i need to take to a professional cause i'll never be able to do it lmao.

Hahaha you expect them to lower the price by €50 because it doesn't come with the box??? Heh, I'll sell you the box of my CECHA PS3 for fifty bucks...

SNG32

Wait for PS5 to get full backwards compatibility patched in.

Lets face it with how Sony is handling putting titles on PS Plus you will never get the full Playstation library from PS1 1 - 5. The closest you will probably get to that is PC. You can run games from PS1 - PS3 through emulation as well as PSP. Emulation is also getting better by the day for Vita as well. Plus with Sony dropping PS4 exclusives on PC the potential is greater at having all areas covered of the Playstation Ecosystem on PC.

GHG

No, a SFF gaming PC would serve you much better and you'll be far less limited in terms of what you can play.

Dane

If the price is right and you know the console, then I suppose its worth, the main issue with 7th gen fat consoles is they are unreliable as fuck, especially early ones.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I would recommend a fat. The slim has some serious combability issues with PS1 games and the lack of a HDD means some games aren't compatible period.

Not to mention that i had 3 slims whose lasers stopped working....

I wouldn't recommend a PS3 fat because the ones with hardware PS2 BC are all pretty much YLOD waiting to happen and fats with software PS2 BC are not fully compatible with all PS2 titles. You might get lucky and find a properly reballed BC unit but honestly probably not.

I bought a fat console many years ago exactly for this purpose and it died extremely quickly, like everyone is saying I wouldn't chance it. Just use PC emulation or something

Crayon

I'd opt for a ps2 and a retrotink 2x-mini. Might not be all you are looking for but if you just want ps1/2 games with hdmi it's fantastic and cost effective.

How is native PSOne and PS2 emulation on a PS3 in 1080p screens? Does anyone still have one in 2022?
PSone on the PS3 is good for what it is, but take into account that unlike on PS2, it's not native. It basically uses a version of the same emulator that shipped with PSP albeit with less performance hacks hence better compatibility.

Image quality is usually not as good as the original PS1 due to some blur filters that depending on the game might or might not be enable. This blur was to mitigate the dithering issues on HDTV's, but sadly not optional. Also, when using scaling you will add 2-3 frames of lag. That's an extra 50 ms of lag, on top of the input lag of your TV.

The solution is turning off the scaler, but that negates some of what would be the theoretical advantages here:

jv6SLy.jpg

PS2 BC is a different beast in regards to interest because it deinterlaced 480i titles. But it did introduce more than 50 ms of lag as well doing so which is huge, it adds more lag than the lag of my TV. These days you'd be better of buying a scaler though as that would serve PSone, PS2 and any other console just as well.

Scalers usually add one frame of lag, so 16,6 ms.
If so, any advices? is the YLOD fixable in case i get it?
Depending on the cause, not really unless you desolder the chip and then resolder.

The issue that led to at least some YLOD consoles was the same that lead to RRoD and macbooks with Geforce 8800 (and many others) malfunction. The UE made it mandatory around that time to ditch lead in solder, this led to low quality replacements who become liquid at a lower temperature. This means when you're gaming and it's hot parts of your chip might be making contact with liquid, hence, the chip is actually floating on top of the solder.

There's lots of ramifications to this, one is that when this happens a lot solder can break and cease making contact, also stuff like bending can happen on the chip because there's nothing holding it; so chips would bend and stay slightly bended, which increases the likelyhood of a BGA solder pin not making contact and why after it happened the first time it would happen again more easily even if you did the reflow.

The whole cover X360 with towells and put upside down was so the solder would become liquid and reach the chip again. And it only worked until the solder reached normal temperatures again and retracted.

Unless I could resolder (or know that the YLOD is not due to overheating) I would never buy that model, sadly. And I would never buy one with YLOD (if it was due to overheating) if I could resolder. You should resolder before it displays a problem or the fix might always be temporary.

If you can't resolder, make sure you at least change the thermal paste (and use a better one than the original at that)

But as someone said in this thread, sometimes it's bad capacitors. That's more manageable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom