• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzz Aldrin to NASA: Retire the International Space Station ASAP to Reach Mars

OBias

http://www.space.com/36787-buzz-aldrin-retire-international-space-station-for-mars.html

If NASA and its partner agencies are serious about putting boots on Mars in the near future, they should pull the plug on the International Space Station (ISS) at the earliest opportunity, Buzz Aldrin said.

"We must retire the ISS as soon as possible," the former Apollo 11 moonwalker said Tuesday (May 9) during a presentation at the 2017 Humans to Mars conference in Washington, D.C. "We simply cannot afford $3.5 billion a year of that cost."

Instead, Aldrin said, NASA should continue to hand over activities in low Earth orbit (LEO) to private industry partners. Indeed, the space agency has been encouraging that move by awarding contracts to companies such as SpaceX, Orbital ATK and Boeing to ferry cargo and crew to and from the ISS.

Bigelow Aerospace, Axiom Space or other companies should build and operate LEO space stations that are independent of the ISS, he added. Ideally, the first of these commercial outposts would share key orbital parameters with the station that China plans to have up and running by the early 2020s, to encourage cooperation with the Chinese, Aldrin said.

Establishing private outposts in LEO is just the first step in Aldrin's plan for Mars colonization, which depends heavily on "cyclers" — spacecraft that move continuously between two cosmic destinations, efficiently delivering people and cargo back and forth.

"The foundation of human transportation is the cycler," the 87-year-old former astronaut said. "Very rugged, so it'll last 30 years or so; no external moving parts."

Step two involves the international spaceflight community coming together to build cyclers that ply cislunar space, taking people on trips to the moon and back. Such spacecraft, and the activities they enable, would allow the construction of a crewed lunar base, where humanity could learn and test the techniques required for Mars colonization, such as how to manufacture propellant from local resources, Aldrin said.

Then would come Earth-Mars cyclers, which Aldrin described as "an evolutionary development" of the prior cyclers.

Aldrin foresees these various cycler iterations enabling a crewed mission to a near-Earth asteroid by 2020 and a Venus flyby by 2024. If all goes well, the first future Mars settlers could launch in the early 2030s, he said.

And they will be settlers, not just visitors, if Aldrin's vision comes to pass.

"Let's be certain that we've developed a sustainable plan to stay on Mars," he said. "No flags and footprints this time."

The ISS is currently funded through 2024, and officials of NASA, the Russian federal space agency and other partners have floated the possibility of extending the $100 billion outpost's life through 2028. NASA officials have repeatedly said that the ISS is a key part of the agency's "Journey to Mars" vision, which aims to get astronauts to the vicinity of the Red Planet sometime in the 2030s.

Get my ass to Mars if old.

Ponn

Banned
NASA to Buzz Aldrin - "Tell the fucking government to give us more money to do it instead of building a fucking wall"

NASA to Buzz Aldrin - "Tell the fucking government to give us more money to do it instead of building a fucking wall"

His point is that retiring the ISS will allow for the reallocation of funds to getting to Mars

I say we just grow balls and do it, drift the ISS to Mars with everyone on board, we can make history if we want!

WillyFive

It super sucks we have to get rid of the biggest international achievement since the victory of WW2 just to do something new.

Ponn

Banned
His point is that retiring the ISS will allow for the reallocation of funds to getting to Mars

I say we just grow balls and do it, drift the ISS to Mars with everyone on board, we can make history if we want!

Retiring the ISS will not save them the money to afford a real program to go to Mars. Not in Buzz's wildest dreams.

0e3.png

This is a stupid idea. There are ways to fund NASA without dismantling our previous achievements. You give the government ideas like this and they'll just reduce NASA's funding, pull out of the ISS and shove more money into the defense budget.

Bregor

I'm sorry, but retiring capabilities we have today for ones we might have in the future is foolishness (IMO) when one considers the unreliability of congressional funding. New projects are far more likely to be cut than existing ones. I wouldn't want to retire the SSC until I was certain that the replacement program had reliable funding for 2 to 3 decades at least.

Edit: And to be honest there is no way you can be sure of that funding. That's the problem.

OBias

I hope China will somehow provide the world another Sputnik crisis, stirring up both NASA and Roscosmos and forcing the governments to boost their budgets.

Iksenpets

Banned
Aldrin's ideas seem... ambitious. I just can't see anyone right now agreeing to set up the sort of long-term presence on the Moon that his plans require. Even if that is the most cost-effective way of launching missions deeper into space, I don't see us moving away from less frequent, more expensive one-shot missions anytime soon, until there is some larger economic incentive to establish that sort of infrastructure in space.

So I take it China will monopolize the space station and moon landing news in the next few years.

edit: for the entire Pissbaby administration, I am okay with it.

Parch

I can understand his frustration. After the Apollo missions, the world was absolutely convinced that a man would walk on Mars before the turn of the century. Anybody from that generation is a bit disappointed that it didn't happen and that we're still not even close to making it happen.

Hes not wrong

in order to update everything we need to retire the old

Better to have that money pushed towards the future as intended. Maybe the ISS can be converted into an orbital tourist attraction/museum someday for future space travellers?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The ISS is not a significant obstacle to implementing any of his suggestions.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Imagine a NASA with the Military's budget.

Well the US Air Force has a sophisticated space program. Too bad its kept in the dark. 🙄

Loxley

FYI Buzz Aldrin is kind of a crazy person in his old age (he's 87). I went to a Q&A he did a few years ago and he would constantly go off on bizarre tangents whenever somebody asked him anything space-related.

One kid in the audience asked him a question about Mars' atmosphere, and somehow he ended up talking about how he shot a lot of Koreans in the Korean War and that he was convinced North Korea was going to nuke us. Bare in mind 70% of the audience were kids between the ages of 7 and 14. His handler (the most patient woman I've ever seen) quickly cut him off and got him back on topic - which was basically her entire job during the Q&A XD

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Frankly, I think there's an argument to be made that research done on the ISS is just as important, if not more important, than just getting feet on Mars ASAP in whatever limited capacity/knowledge we have (a lot of which we glean from the ISS, of course).

KarmaCow

Is that $3.5 Billion just maintenance or is that including current experiments and shuttling people/cargo back and forth? I'm still wary of private industries seriously shouldering the cost when space travel is still so expensive with little return.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
After reading that article I have the sudden and super compelling urge to play me some Kerbal Space Program. Time to build some Kerbal Interplanetary Cyclers of my own!!!

Averon

Constantly shifting priorities from congress and new WH administrations is NASA's biggest problem. Congress, which controls NASA's budget, see the organization as a mere jobs program for their district/state. So congress saddle NASA with stuff like the SLS that is overpriced for what it does and gets constantly delayed due to using two dozen different contractors NASA is forced to use to make sure each congressman and each senator's district and state gets in on that.

Anything beyond Earth's orbit requires long-term planning with a well funded budget. Congress is the biggest roadblock to that.

Buzz Aldrin is a wonderful man and a national hero, but... he's just another engineer in terms of viability discussions, and not even that when it comes to financing. Does he have any other aerospace engineers backing him up on this roadmap?

I mean, it doesn't look terrible to me, but I'm not going to listen to him over other scientists and engineers in the field just because he went to the moon. For something like this, his doctoral work at MIT is more significant than his military exploits.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
All this talk does is contribute to underfunding NASA.

SSPssp

Its true, the ISS is a waste of money. If this money would actually be used for a better project then I'm all for it.

Madness

Hell imagine if the $50 billion increase military spending got was sent to NASA. Eventually we'll get to a point where the nation that put a man on the moon will start saying that it was a hoax, the Earth is flat ala Interstellar.

Top Bottom