• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California GOP demand plan from Obama and Gov. Brown for collecting El Nino water

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Up until Brown took office and we did away with the stupid redistricting that the GOP had in place wich gave them a majority in the state congress during and before the Terminator years the state was run by Republicans. They did squat as far as governing and ruined the state. We just now are getting shit back in shape here.

The budget overhauls and turnaround of the deficit didn't happen until Brown came into office.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Classic GOP. No helpful solutions of their own. Ever.

They do. It's called draining the Sacramento River Delta to subsidize wasteland farming. That's where this is going.

This was said plan (note this is an editorial piece, but was the first link I could quickly find):

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-water-bills-20150710-story.html
So it's a bad plan, fair enough (although, like you said, it's an editorial so it might not be as bad as that writer represents it as,) but at least it's a plan. If the Democrats aren't going to implement the Republicans' plan, it's fair for them to demand a plan from the Democrats.

Vice

"Hardcore" is a little hyperbolic. There are very few areas of California you could call "hardcore" conservatives in the way that hardcore, neo-conservatism has manifested in the past few decades.

This also isn't a bad idea.
It's accurate for the central valley.

A lot of long-term storage requires long-term projects that no one has bothered with for decades. I think some areas have plans for collection, but only a few regions are set up with major water banks that will be usable this winter.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The relationship between politicians and scientists here in 'Murica when it comes to global warming is pretty similar to how the Kryptonians acted before their planet got blown up.

XiaNaphryz

They do. It's called draining the Sacramento River Delta to subsidize wasteland farming. That's where this is going.

That proposed bill I quoted pretty much lines up with that.

So it's a bad plan, fair enough (although, like you said, it's an editorial so it might not be as bad as that writer represents it as,) but at least it's a plan. If the Democrats aren't going to implement the Republicans' plan, it's fair for them to demand a plan from the Democrats.

That same article cites an alternate Democratic plan. That one didn't pass the House, the Republican one did. Which isn't surprising since they control the House.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder how much of the water is even going back to the ocean anyway. How much would reasonably be saved that would be useful?

thefit

No. The last time any chamber in the California State Legislature had a majority was in 1996, when it controlled the House. It then went back to Democratic control in 1997. They also had a split House in 1995.
They didnt have the votes, it requires a percentage to pass spending bills etc.

ferr

Can someone make one of those 2 minute long gifs with captioning and whatnot using the scene from Mad Max where the water rains down on the plebs in the beginning. Except add Obama and Gov Brown to the scene.

The funny thing is we still don't grasp how the warming and acidification will affect the ocean currents and in turn the jet streams.. There could be a time where the US, Mexico, and lower Canada become one giant desert.

Where you gonna get your water from then?

But nope climate change is a conspiracy theory for people to get rich.

studyguy

Slightly OT:

I wonder how much total water was wasted during the Ice Bucket Challenge craze?

Negligible amount, even Santa Cruz who has restricted daily water usage to almost nothing still has an average of almost 80gal a day in that city.
Residential use even if used for washing a car or dumping a gallon on some person to post on youtube means nothing in the long run.

thefit

Btw we are trying stuff to try and grab as much rain water as we can like that plan were they deployed thousands of black balls in the river to block out the sun and slow down evaporation. I don't have a link but this is a real thing you wouldn't know about it if you asked a GOP lawmaker here thats for sure.

XiaNaphryz

Surely the only think rarer in California than water is a Republican?

This is a couple years old, but should still be a decent general guideline:

http://www.ppic.org/main/publication_quick.asp?i=1007

y3LvY2b.png

4aDaKUP.png

The above map adjusted to reflect population:

tkHxqxH.png

Sotha_Sil

I don't get how climate works.
Why is the western side dry when the eastern side is so green? It's the same latitude. Is it because the wind comes from the east and the clouds break down over mountains going westward?

Rainfall makes no sense to me.

Certain latitudes are, in general, arid. Where the Southwest in the United States lies is in this belt. Why aren't Louisiana, Alabama, Florida arid deserts? Part of it is a heavy riverine system coming from the north, the rest is from the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.

Notice that Africa and the Middle East (and to a lesser degree Central Asia) at roughly equivalent latitudes of New Mexico and Arizona are also arid. Now go the same distance south of the equator that you went north. You'll find arid South Africa, Australia, and several countries in South America.

It isn't random, but on an iPhone I'm not going to go into detail on the how and why. Similar logic applies to why the equator and 60 degrees N/S is so green.

That same article cites an alternate Democratic plan. That one didn't pass the House, the Republican one did. Which isn't surprising since they control the House.
Thanks for bringing that to light, stupid for them to demand a plan when there was one that they blocked, and also highlights why sometimes parties need to stop the partisan hissy fights and solve a problem.

dextran

um, isn't it okay to just let it rain?
aren't we already drawing from ground water supplies - doesn't the rain just refill that?

i doubt one season's worth of rainfall 'captured' is going to make a dent in any long term plan - particularly the cost of executing such an idea on a month's notice.

edit: if anything we should be saving money for the emergency response units - there will be inevitable mudslides from recent fires. It already mudslid in SC.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
um, isn't it okay to just let it rain?
aren't we already drawing from ground water supplies - doesn't the rain just refill that?

i doubt one season's worth of rainfall 'captured' is going to make a dent in any long term plan - particularly the cost of executing such an idea on a month's notice.

edit: if anything we should be saving money for the emergency response units - there will be inevitable mudslides from recent fires. It already mudslid in SC.

Exactly, you can't put these things into motion this quickly, they need to be made as long term infrastructure for water capture.

Yeah's it's called 'nature.'

Stop pumping out the underground reservoirs and let it recharge, design the cities to retain more water rather than sending them to run off to the ocean.

But that's too much work so let's demand Obama to fix it.

None of it means anything, you can't just gain rain collecting infrastructure overnight, it's all major works that are 10+ years of planning.

It's just bluster to placate their central valley constituents who are permanently yelling about the government fucking them over with water. Drive the 5 corridor ever and you'd know what I mean.

Isn't California beside the Pacific Ocean? I used to live in B.C. and it rained like 3-4 times a week. That doesn't happen in California?

It has to do with Earth's rotation as well and the ocean currents. Go to the same latitude in Eurasia (Mediterranean region) and you'd see it is just as dry and temperate. The Eastern Pacific and Eastern Atlantic at these latitudes tend to be colder compared to the Western Pacific and Western Atlantic as well.this is no coincidence.

No Love

Banned
Surely the only think rarer in California than water is a Republican?

Fuck no. Orange County especially disagrees with you, Inland Empire too.

California has TONS of dumb, ignorant right-wingers. An almost frightening amount.

ivysaur12

Banned
There's still enough of them that they control the House legislature.

The California State Assembly (the lower House) is controlled by Democrats, with 52 Democrats and 28 Republicans in an 80-seat body.

Fuck no. Orange County especially disagrees with you, Inland Empire too.

California has TONS of dumb, ignorant right-wingers. An almost frightening amount.

It also has a like, an even larger amount of left-wing people.

Every state has conservative and liberal people in them. However, there are so few Republicans in California compared to Democrats that it's not even a fair comparison. Like yes, there are 15 elected House Republicans. That's huge! Then you remember that there are 38 elected House Democrats.

XiaNaphryz

The California State Assembly (the lower House) is controlled by Democrats, with 52 Democrats and 28 Republicans in an 80-seat body.

I misread the second article I was quoting - they were trying to pass something in the federal legislature, not the state one. My bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom