• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California to Ban the Sale of New Gasoline Cars by 2035

Crayon

Way to wipe out the millions of small business owners who need these trucks. Good luck hauling shit around all day, otherwise.

Electric trucks are great for businesses with fleet care, but one of the key things about trucks is that you can work them pretty much indefinitely. A lot of those gardeners and pallet collectors that drive around beat ass trucks don't take him to the crusher when they break. They go to the junkyard and they pull an engine for 400 to 800 bucks and put it in themselves over the weekend. Because they have to.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Way to wipe out the millions of small business owners and farmers who need these trucks. Good luck hauling shit around all day, otherwise.
The UK and other countries in Europe seem to get along just fine without lifted trucks and ludicrously large SUVs.

I think we would be okay. Don't worry.

Hari Seldon

Way to wipe out the millions of small business owners and farmers who need these trucks. Good luck hauling shit around all day, otherwise.
I mean if the truck is used for truck purposes then sure fine, I have no problems. The problem I have is that the overwhelming use case for trucks is just to be a large SUV that maybe you use as a truck 1-2 times per year. We should not be making trucks into EVs, further incentivizing their use-case as big ass commuter vehicles. Trucks should be trucks, no fucking extended cab horseshit, diesel and manual only.

Ban on beef soon to follow(seriously).
0846f693-6b10-44ea-b060-089b792527ff_text.gif

Nobody_Important

I mean if the truck is used for truck purposes then sure fine, I have no problems. The problem I have is that the overwhelming use case for trucks is just to be a large SUV that maybe you use as a truck 1-2 times per year. We should not be making trucks into EVs, further incentivizing their use-case as big ass commuter vehicles. Trucks should be trucks, no fucking extended cab horseshit, diesel and manual only.
I'm fine with that as well. The problem is not many people do that. Not in my experience anyway. I live in Texas and if I had $1 for every overly lifted "company/business" truck/SUV on gigantic chrome wheels plastered with the company name and number or wrapped in company graphics I see driving to and from work I would be able to retire early. Thats not even mentioning the soccer moms and desk workers who drive monstrosities like that unnecessarily. And more likely than not these are the same people bitching and moaning about gas prices too.

I have nothing against the people who actually need a solid pickup truck or moms who have 5 kids and need a bigger SUV. It's the people that don't and have gigantic lifted nonsense for their daily driver that I have the problem with. And making them electric solves nothing. I bet some idiot out there has already bought one of the Ford Lightnings and unironically lifted it and then complained on Facebook about how the range is shit.

It's why I say that America has a very strange and very dumb addiction to large unnecessary vehicles. Those are the people I am talking about when I say that.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I know a couple who own an F-150 and a Tahoe. Like...why? My husband owns a Tacoma so whenever we have to move something large, we use his truck. When we don't, we use my Camry for the slappin gas mileage. No family on this planet needs two large vehicles.
I have some people down the street who are in the same position. The guy drives a lifted 4 door Tundra and his wife drives a Navigator.

They don't have any kids.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
I have some people down the street who are in the same position. The guy drives a lifted 4 door Tundra and his wife drives a Navigator.

They don't have any kids.

SUV's are a pain to drive and park. That's odd that she's putting herself through that when she has no kids. Must be an image thing.

Pejo

SUV's are a pain to drive and park. That's odd that she's putting herself through that when she has no kids. Must be an image thing.
Perceived safety thing too, from people I know that have huge vehicles like that. I guess they'd rather be the the Navigator than the Miata when a wreck happens.

Nobody_Important

It's 100% an image thing. And I get that it's an image thing everywhere else in the world as well, but America is the only place where dudes feels like they need giant lifted trucks or gas guzzling muscle cars to be manly. Where in other places they get a M3, a Merc, or a super up GTI if they want to show off. Women here have the same problem sometimes, but nowhere near as often. It's either cute little cars or fancy SUVs.

It's like a "you are what you eat" except with cars and it's baked into the culture and I just don't understand it.

Last edited:
How about pass laws that:
1. Ban private commuter planes
2. Ban private commuter helicopters
3. Ban cruise ships entirely
4. Heavily tax companies that force office workers to commute to work that can be done at home
5. Tax cars based on weight so we can actually use the Laws of Physics properly and not stick a giant ass lithium battery in a fucking F150 that will be used 2-3 times a year as an actual truck if that.

When they do all of those things I will finally believe that global warming is a serious threat.

Edit: Forgot the most obvious thing, whever a bald fucker shoots himself into space for no fucking reason at all we shoot the fucker down with a missile.
How about I fart a rainbow kid, learn economics.

GAF feels like a CNN panel sometimes...Christ...

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
Perceived safety thing too, from people I know that have huge vehicles like that. I guess they'd rather be the the Navigator than the Miata when a wreck happens.

I was thinking that too. As much as I don't want that to make sense, it does. Bigger vehicles are safer for the driver. My husband doesn't like that I drive a compact and I think he's going to pressure me into a crossover for my next vehicle, only for safety reasons.

You will hear no arguments from me about the F-150 and that ridiculous Hummer. America's obsession with large impractical cars they don't need continues to be one of it's most idiotic traits. Turning them into EVs is even dumber.

I can't even think of a good metaphor for how stupid and counterproductive it is.
Some people need big truck for work bro

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
They should've just let Elon dig his tunnels to eliminate traffic, so people would need to spend less time in their cars.

Already covered this. See post #59.
Seems like you don't have a problem with it if they have a legitimate use, then? Like a guy who runs a small contracting business or someone who flips houses. I agree with the excessive stuff for people who don't need it. I don't really give a shit about cars/trucks. So long as it is reliable and gets me from point A to B with little hassle and little gas expense as possible.

Horns

No complaints from me. I will be buying an EV when my current car dies. California tends to lead the nation with these efforts. I suspect a lot of states will eventually follow. The only hesitation is making improvements to EV infrastructure. The country is way behind on implementing the necessary upgrades in order to switch over to EV vehicles.

Nobody_Important

Seems like you don't have a problem with it if they have a legitimate use, then? Like a guy who runs a small contracting business or someone who flips houses. I agree with the excessive stuff for people who don't need it. I don't really give a shit about cars/trucks. So long as it is reliable and gets me from point A to B with little hassle and little gas expense as possible.
Yeah if a guy has a normal pick up for his business and genuinely needs it I am totally fine with that. Or if a mom needs a large SUV for her 5 kids I'm cool with that as well.

It's when it goes away beyond that or when it's unnecessary that I get annoyed.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The UK and other countries in Europe seem to get along just fine without lifted trucks and ludicrously large SUVs.

I think we would be okay. Don't worry.
Large vehicles are here to stay in the U.S.A. There's a reason the majority of BEV's coming onto the market are trucks or crossovers - that's what the American (and Chinese) consumer want.

Even the Europeans are buying larger vehicles than before, although not to the same extent as Americans. Driving a car is a bit of a pain in much of Europe, and its usually worse the bigger your car is.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
She's wifey material

Maybe time to expel the primary means of private travel (cars) which behave solely on the mental and physical state of it's driver and switch to a more efficient way of travel.

But that means a complete infrastructure overhaul, designing, for example trains that have private cabins that can detach without delaying the rest through smart engineering or whatever.

But that means buh buh buh muh car and it's fun to drive and company's will lose massively going into the multiple billions for my selfish dangerous reasons so they can't lobby support no more.

Nah bruh Elon the man yo

Idiots

You edited your post

Last edited:
My wife did her thesis on ev's and believes that the battery alone, including it's creation and disposal, will cause arguably more ecological damage than a gas engine over the life of a car.

Before I bought hybrid I look into it (not a thesis like your wife) . On my finds the production of the battery was worse than buying a gasoline car and driving it for couple of years but not the life of the car, of course that depends on how long u keep the car and car maintenance.

Btw isn’t ford using a new kind of battery? Well better and eco friendly?

Nobody_Important

Lol buying a truck will bankrupt them? Thanks for the sneak peak into your perspective, makes more sense now.
Have you seen truck prices?

Maybe they are cheaper where you are but here in Texas a new truck that is lifted with all the bells and whistles is 75k+ regularly. Less if you go used maybe. 6 figures if you want the highest end examples. Add that to your price at the pump for driving a 10mpg monstrosity?

Bankrupt is obviously an exaggeration, but you get my point lol

Last edited:

Crayon

My friend challenged me to think of a better battery while we were stoned in the backyard. I came up with a maglev gyroscope in a vacuumed out enclosure.

Turns out it was already a thing so I'm not rich.

chromhound

Maybe time to expel the primary means of private travel (cars) which behave solely on the mental and physical state of it's driver and switch to a more efficient way of travel.

But that means a complete infrastructure overhaul, designing, for example trains that have private cabins that can detach without delaying the rest through smart engineering or whatever.

But that means buh buh buh muh car and it's fun to drive and company's will lose massively going into the multiple billions for my selfish dangerous reasons so they can't lobby support no more.

Nah bruh Elon the man yo

Idiots

You edited your post
huh... wrong person ?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So we need to burn more coal, diesel fuel, build more nuclear plant to charge those EV?
giphy.webp
There are various generation modalities that are basically carbon neutral or as close to it as we can get. Yeah, nuclear is a great option to go along with wind, solar, geothermal, etc. We’re not there yet, but current world events have demonstrated the peril of relying on fossil fuels which prop up tyrants, to say nothing of their effects on the environment.

The ICE needs to go away. Whether or not this ban is a good idea is another question, but electric cars are the future, and the more are made, the better they’ll become and anyone clinging to a gas engine will be seen as a Luddite.

Top Bottom