• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 will not use Battle.net for Game Pass PC

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
You can pre-install it via the Xbox app on PC now.

It doesn't prompt to install Battle.net, and Call of Duty then shows up in your installed games. This would likely mean MW2 and MW3 would be available as well since it just installs COD: HQ.

uAZzRNs.png

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
What does this mean? I just have BO6 installed for campaign without all the stupid bullshit?

RagnarokIV

It means you don't need to install Battle.net to play COD on Game Pass PC, which you had to do with Diablo IV.

It also means that COD is also PlayAnywhere, meaning if you buy it on Xbox you also have a PC version.
Ah ok, same as when they added the missing COD games (Cold War, Vanguard etc) on Steam.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
What’s the file size on the installed game?
It doesn't do a full install at the moment, which is bizarre to me to even call it that. But I guess it IS pretty damn early. It only installed some necessary files, which wasn't big at all. I guess because the ACTUAL preinstall isn't ready yet. This feels like a preinstalling a preinstall, lol.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

No, it's not the same. Steam isn't PlayAnywhere. It'd be the same if you got a free copy on Steam if you already owned it on Xbox.
Yeah sorry, I meant in regard to battle.net no longer being required.
As for PlayAnywhere, I know my Steam library will outlive me, but for Xbox when Satya Nadella gets bored and pulls the plug it will be PlayNowhere.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Why would you need to install b.net?

COD has been on the PC store before without the need for b.net so no change?

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It doesn't do a full install at the moment, which is bizarre to me to even call it that. But I guess it IS pretty damn early. It only installed some necessary files, which wasn't big at all. I guess because the ACTUAL preinstall isn't ready yet. This feels like a preinstalling a preinstall, lol.
Indeed - saying battle.net isn't there when it isn't the full game was what I was trying to imply - when the full install is available that may change.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Indeed - saying battle.net isn't there when it isn't the full game was what I was trying to imply - when the full install is available that may change.

No it doesn't require Battle.net. It's fully integrated into the Xbox app now. Your Xbox achievements show up and your playtime is now showing.
3zYCyCK.png

Diablo IV did not do that. The Diablo IV page just prompts you to install Battle.net
PXntoqf.png

clarky

Gold Member
You did for Diablo IV.

Was never on the Xbox store. It was just on Steam and Battle.net
Thats a blizzard title.

Call of Duty absolutely has been on the store before. They had MW and a few other as well but looks like they've been taken down.

DNMb7hc.png

yjC3H0a.png

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Thats a blizzard title.

Call of Duty absolutely has been on the store before. They had MW and a few other as well but looks like they've been taken down.

DNMb7hc.png

yjC3H0a.png
That's the UK store.

In the US it was just Steam until MW 2019 which was put on Bnet.

clarky

Gold Member
That's the UK store.

In the US it was just Steam until MW 2019 which was put on Bnet.
No it wasn't. Call of duty has been available through the MS store multiple times globally as a UWP app. Like i said this isn't anything new.

I think pretty much every COD has been availble to play in some form without Bnet since forever. Hell its only been available on BNET since 2019 if memory serves me.

Edit: I kinda see what your saying but its an Activision title not a Blizzard one, I'd be more surprised if it did need BNET rather than it didn't. I think Diablo requires it because of cross play cross progression being tied to Bnet i think. Never has a COD game required a BNET account unless your actually playing there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom