• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 won't be locked behind a new Xbox Game Pass tier

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 will be available across all Game Pass tiers, Microsoft has confirmed.

"Upon launch, Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 will be playable on Xbox and PC for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, PC Game Pass, and Xbox Game Pass for Console members," a Microsoft spokesperson told Eurogamer earlier today.

The company initially confirmed Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 would be coming to Game Pass day one earlier this week, after the information leaked ahead of schedule. At this time, however, some wondered if Microsoft may use the game's debut to change Xbox Game Pass' pricing or tier structure in some fashion.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The Young Pope GIF

adamsapple

I think they confirmed this when they firsty annunced it but good to have confirmation

I think it was kinda obvious when the big CoD on Game Pass banner led people to the game pass sign up page, they wouldn't blatantly lie and have people register to the current GP tiers to hoodwink and introduce a new tier later.

But, yeah, a solid confirmation always goes a long way.

adamsapple

Is this some sort of rumor that was not a real rumor and they just put out news to create clicks?

No, this is definitely answering a question many had.

A lot of rumors and even reporting that there will be changes to game pass just for CoD, including many theorizing that there will be a new CoD specific tier.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think it was kinda obvious when the big CoD on Game Pass banner led people to the game pass sign up page, they wouldn't blatantly lie and have people register to the current GP tiers to hoodwink and introduce a new tier later.

But, yeah, a solid confirmation always goes a long way.
I had the same reaction when I saw the ad. And in hindsight it didn't really make sense to add another tier. They built the service on a premise and can't be waffling on it right when things get interesting if they really hope to grow it 300% (to 100 million subs).

Humdinger

Gold Member
Wait, they say "available across all GamePass tiers," but when they list the tiers, they don't include GP Core (formerly Xbox Live Gold). What about that one?

adamsapple

Wait, they say "available across all GamePass tiers," but when they list the tiers, they don't include GP Core (formerly Xbox Live Gold). What about that one?

"Upon launch, Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 will be playable on Xbox and PC for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, PC Game Pass, and Xbox Game Pass for Console members," a Microsoft spokesperson told Eurogamer earlier today.

The all tiers bit is Eurogamer's editorializing, but I don't blame them. Core is just Gold rebranded.

Humdinger

Gold Member

The all tiers bit is Eurogamer's editorializing, but I don't blame them. Core is just Gold rebranded.

Right, but the piece you quoted does not mention GP Core. I was asking "what about Core?"

Last edited:

rm082e

Good. I'm glad they've made this explicit. Now I'm eager to see what the January sub number is for Game Pass to see if, and how much this moves the needle for them.

adamsapple

Right, but the piece you quoted does not mention GP Core. I was asking "what about Core?" Is "Xbox Game Pass for Console" just a different label for Core? (I'm not on Xbox, so I get confused about the labels.)

No, they're different things.

The branding is confusing and I hope they consolidate the tiers.

Core = what Xbox Live Gold used to be, they just rebranded it.
Game Pass console = This is the basic console tier, all games day 1, does not include EA Play or Online playing
Game Pass PC = Basic tier for PC but includes EA Play and of course no payment required for Online on PC
Game Pass Ultimate = Includes everything from all the 3 'tiers' above.

Humdinger

Gold Member
No, they're different things.

The branding is confusing and I hope they consolidate the tiers.

Core = what Xbox Live Gold used to be, they just rebranded it.
Game Pass console = This is the basic console tier, all games day 1, does not include EA Play or Online playing
Game Pass PC = Basic tier for PC but includes EA Play and of course no payment required for Online on PC
Game Pass Ultimate = Includes everything from all the 3 'tiers' above.

Thanks. To clarify further, though ... It's called "Xbox GamePass Core," so Core is one of the GP tiers. The lowest tier, but a tier.

So, Eurogamer's statement about the game being "available across all GP tiers" is inaccurate.

I'm not fussing. I think it's important to clarify that, because if it were truly available across all tiers, there would be no reason for people to sub to the higher tiers of GP to get it. Everyone who loves CoD is already at least a GP Core customer. Offering it Day 1 to Core customers would mean zero growth in GP receipts.

Where are the old CoDs and Tony Hawk, cowards

Ah, I see “upon launch” is the new “whole slate” 😆

Last edited:

adamsapple

Of course not.

Seriously......you guys new to these PR games?

No, just trying to understand what encompasses your idea of 'wide open for changes after launch'.

To me, upon launch just means it'll be there at the games general launch, which would likely not include the early access window like all recent CoD's have had.

Just in time to kill GamePass

Game Of Thrones GIF

PPMv8LC.gif

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No, just trying to understand what encompasses your idea of 'wide open for changes after launch'.

To me, upon launch just means it'll be there at the games general launch, which would likely not include the early access window like all recent CoD's have had.

I'm just reading the words "upon launch" for what they actually mean. Microsoft is saying no changes in the near future, but for how long? A year? I can see changes in that time frame. "Upon launch" is a literally a caveat and should be treated as such.

Rockman33

The CMA will block the ABK merger.
The FTC will block the ABK merger.
MS will never put COD on Game Pass.
MS will kill Game Pass before COD releases.
MS will introduce a special Game Pass tier for COD.

MS will raise the price of Game Pass for COD. <-- You are here.
Pretty great and truthful post.

Topher

Gold Member
The CMA will block the ABK merger.
The FTC will block the ABK merger.
MS will never put COD on Game Pass.
MS will kill Game Pass before COD releases.
MS will introduce a special Game Pass tier for COD.

MS will raise the price of Game Pass for COD. <-- You are here.

Most of those are outlier minority opinions based on the polls here that actually asked the questions.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I'm just reading the words "upon launch" for what they actually mean. Microsoft is saying no changes in the near future, but for how long? A year? I can see changes in that time frame. "Upon launch" is a literally a caveat and should be treated as such.

Worth noting that the official Xbox website doesn't have any caveats in the statement, it just flat out says the game will be available day 1.

Topher

Gold Member
Worth noting that the official Xbox website doesn't have any caveats in the statement, it just flat out says the game will be available day 1.

That's fair. And to be clear, I'm not suggesting anything is going to change. I obviously have no idea. I just hate PR shit like that.

iHaunter

Is this the same "half" that thought the ABK purchase was being blocked and MS was going kill Game Pass?
GamePass is the only thing working at Microsoft. I posted in a thread a while ago they should get out of hardware in general and focus on software. SaaS.

Top Bottom