• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox mobile app push notification says Black Ops 6 on Game Pass Day One

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Really do not see how this is sustainable. Its all very well saying this will create x more subscriptions when its going to gouge a huge chunk out of launch revenue and in the final analysis is just a value-add to GP.
They at least have to try with COD.

Then we'll talk.

MayauMiao

Do people still buy and play annual cod? Are these games evolving and having better mechanics with yearly iterations? What happens to last year mp?

I don’t get the hype. In the older days, our mp games purchases last longer.

Kind of like those Madden games.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Do people still buy and play annual cod? Are these games evolving and having better mechanics with yearly iterations? What happens to last year mp?

I don’t get the hype. In the older days, our mp games purchases last longer.

I think that digital buying has changed the visibility, but for as long as I can remember when a new COD was released, the used section of Video Game stores was full of last year's COD. I don't see why that'd be any different now, players jump from iteration to iteration.

This is the beginning of the end for COD golden era. This game (and a few others) will probably be fine, but being on gamepass day one will have an impact on future sales, profitability then eventually quality of the games. From AAA quality it will become AA / Mobile quality. Sorry HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 !

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is the beginning of the end for COD golden era. This game (and a few others) will probably be fine, but being on gamepass day one will have an impact on future sales, profitability then eventually quality of the games. From AAA quality it will become AA / Mobile quality. Sorry HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 !
I just wonder how much of their profit actually comes from sales vs in game purchases

Could have a little different effect as people buy a few more bundles in the store

Going to be curious to see what happens in a year or two thats for sure

And no need to apologize I will still buy it even having Gamepass as I want it on the PS5 Pro this year

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Same thing was said about Starfield
Starfield sucks. If it had been Skyrim in space, Game Pass numbers would have gone up.

COD has been a consistent top performer for over 15 years. It’s a known quantity.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh Yeah Yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

There's a fifth one?

Black ops Cold War

Last edited:
Yeah, but I just meant that mathematically I cannot see this working out. The reality is that its going to cost sales, and even a small percentage drop on such a big selling franchise is a lot of money. And to what end? Hooking people into the Xbox ecosystem... how's that going to look when the business model utilized with CoD is based on long-term spending specific to its own inbuilt storefront? Its like a subscription inside of a subscription!

And then of course there's the overall impact on the economics of GP generally. The idea is that the revenue gets divided up amongst all titles on the service, how does sticking CoD in there front and centre impact that? Its a service franchise ffs.

Sorry, but this seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
CoD is coming to Nintendo platforms now, which will more than make up for any "lost" sales.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They at least have to try with COD.

Then we'll talk.

Let me put it this way: If the plan was to offer CoD as its own mini-GamePass offer, I can see it maybe working for them.

The sticking point for me is marrying it to GP, even on a higher price tier it seems like a bad idea because it doesn't especially benefit the upsell of either.

LordCBH

Dreadful business decision really. But that’s on them. If they wanna keep speed running the death of their console that’s their business.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Let me put it this way: If the plan was to offer CoD as its own mini-GamePass offer, I can see it maybe working for them.

The sticking point for me is marrying it to GP, even on a higher price tier it seems like a bad idea because it doesn't especially benefit the upsell of either.
Is that confirmed? I know there was a rumour and I'd agree, if true, that wouldn't be a great sell for GP.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
COD has a four year dev time now. BLOPS6 is the first to be made under that.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Will be interesting to see if subs and console sales spike. IMO if MS were smart they would go all in a make all main DLC free for game pass subs as well. But of course the anti monopoly lawyers and agencies all have their microscopes out right so there is only so much MS can do. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I think that is a distinct possibility.
I just wonder around the timing though. If you announce it now as part of existing tiers. Then not sure how they change it all up prior to release, without causing blowback... i.e I'd have thought you announce GP structure changes at the same time. Maybe existing tiers just stay as is and a price increase comes further down the road.

Mr.ODST

100% only going to be available to GP Ultimate subscribers, good for me as I already have 3 years so this is a huge bonus for me

Mattyp

Gold Member
Could be. Ultimately the quarterly/annual financials are what will determine if this was a smart move or not. ABK was the bright spot for Xbox's last quarter. I said before, putting Call of Duty on Game Pass is a Rubicon moment for Phil Spencer.

I think combined with last years 'off year' CoD release, success that Black Ops always has, a four year cycle of development and cooking this I hope is one of the greatest multi that is.

Any 'lost' revenue I feel gets made up in the extra DLC of players that don't typically pick it up every year but when they already have a gamepass sub... and keeps people subbed longer as well. Hoping they drop the entire CoD back catalogue close to launch on there.

adamsapple

I think combined with last years 'off year' CoD release, success that Black Ops always has, a four year cycle of development and cooking this I hope is one of the greatest multi that is.

Any 'lost' revenue I feel gets made up in the extra DLC of players that don't typically pick it up every year but when they already have a gamepass sub... and keeps people subbed longer as well. Hoping they drop the entire CoD back catalogue close to launch on there.

It's also, reportedly, going to kick off CoD games coming to future Nintendo consoles (whenever they launch) so that's adding a whole another layer of revenue on top.

DaGwaphics

Really do not see how this is sustainable. Its all very well saying this will create x more subscriptions when its going to gouge a huge chunk out of launch revenue and in the final analysis is just a value-add to GP.

I'm sure they assign X value to it and a cost to match against GP. They can't operate the subscription without purchasing content for it. That's where 65 to 70% of all the media based subscription revenue works out. It can't all be about growth, they do have to add content for the existing subscribers or they lose those customers.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Same thing was said about Starfield

I think this is the crux of it.

Starfield's a good game, but it didn't get those "must buy a console to play this!" reviews. But, now Xbox and Gamepass offers you that good game, and COD, and Indy and Avowed.

If those other games get good reviews, then the scales start to tip a bit more. I think you have to look at the package as a whole - as stated repeatedly, taking out a one year sub to play one game obviously doesn't work.

Setting a precedent, people will expect day one on Gamepass with future releases too.

I think it says a lot about them they feel the need to do this .

Darsxx82

It's also, reportedly, going to kick off CoD games coming to future Nintendo consoles (whenever they launch) so that's adding a whole another layer of revenue on top.
And you can add the important discount that no one remembers...... MS will now include 100% of XBOX users (game, microtransactions, battle pass etc.) while ABK before only included 70%.

That is to say, that extra 30% can help to amortize when it comes to XBOX part... because the rest of the income from other platforms is maintained and the Switch 2 version will soon be added.

To think that this was in doubt speaks volumes about the lack of trust Xbox owners have in the managing team. Whatever the loss in sales is it’d be worst if they didn’t do it.

It was only ever in doubt to the perpetual haters who have been desperately predicting the end of GamePass and Xbox for years. “CoD is never coming day one to GamePass” was just another handful of shit they threw at the wall hoping for it to stick.

Hell, there was that Bond thread recently where she said the entire slate of first party games is coming day one to GamePass and some of these people tried arguing that “entire slate” was double speak and meant no CoD 😆

On topic, now that this is out of the bag, where is the ABK back catalogue?

adamsapple

Setting a precedent, people will expect day one on Gamepass with future releases too.

I think it says a lot about them they feel the need to do this .

That's .. literally been the case since the service launched for first party games. CoD is a first party game now, so not having it on the service day 1 would be the exception, not the norm.

Top Bottom