• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War |OT| Deniable Operations

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Thank you I'll check it out. Like I said though I don't see how it would even be possible to get the wrong version by installing from a PS5 disc you put into the PS5.
It kinda did the same with me after I Upgraded MK11 to Ultimate
I just found the PS4 version and deleted it, problem solved.
Though your situation is different because you didn't have an upgrade and it should have just installed the PS5 version.

Bolivar687

Banned
I played the campaign yesterday, it was an A+ to me. I had been pretty down on CoD campaigns since Advanced Warfare, as they just didn't have the fluidity and chain of engaging gunplay sequences like the games did last generation. I appreciated Modern Warfare telling a more close-quarters, brutal story but I did feel they missed an opportunity with the reboot on the gameplay side. Cold War doesn't have that problem - it's fast, smooth, and moves you across very different situations from moment to moment. All of the new things they tried like stealth and the infiltration level were a success, in part because they knew not to overstay their welcome. And they did a great job paying homage to the first Black Ops with the return mission, the ending, and the overall aesthetics. I agree it's short but short and sweet has always been the CoD campaign formula, and it makes things easier this time to go back and make different choices or explore for evidence. This is just a flawlessly designed and executed single player experience.

Last edited:

Gerdav

'Friday evening, I know, let's give them all an 11GB update!'

Idiots.

That’s 14.5GB that has already hard crashed my Series X 3 times, and turned the campaign that was perfectly fine this afternoon into a slideshow.

Treyarch and IW must in competition for who is the most incompetent studio.

OutRun88

I just finished Ashes to Ashes on my second play through. What an awesome alternate ending.

I also believe there are a total of 12 different audio endings to listen through depending on the choices you make throughout the campaign.

That’s 14.5GB that has already hard crashed my Series X 3 times, and turned the campaign that was perfectly fine this afternoon into a slideshow.

Treyarch and IW must in competition for who is the most incompetent studio.
Still on the One X. My update will be done in 4 minutes. I've had 5 console resetting hard crashes since I bought the game. This update can only improve things. lol

Gerdav

Still on the One X. My update will be done in 4 minutes. I've had 5 console resetting hard crashes since I bought the game. This update can only improve things. lol

Don’t count on that, I have gone from 0 all week, to three in the space of 20 minutes all while negotiating the slideshow of the redlight, greenlight mission.

Don’t count on that, I have gone from 0 all week, to three in the space of 20 minutes all while negotiating the slideshow of the redlight, greenlight mission.
I was being enormously sarcastic there. I'm fairly certain this will break the game in new and exciting ways.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Glad to see there's a patch, here's hoping it fixes some of the bugs I've encountered.

This worth getting just for campaign and Zombies?
You're the opposite of me, I uninstalled those modes and have only been playing multiplayer exclusively

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Anyone else on PC experiencing worse performance post-patch? My game stutters a bit and my frames seem to be down quite a bit, hovering around 70-80, whereas before I never went below 100ish.

Grinchy

Banned
I think the newest update broke the raytracing on PS5. My game was having massive performance issues and couldn't load textures properly. Every time I'd scope into a 3X, all the textures would go to low LODs and the framerate would die.

I turned the raytracing off and it runs smooth as butter again.

waylo

Banned
Anyone else on PC experiencing worse performance post-patch? My game stutters a bit and my frames seem to be down quite a bit, hovering around 70-80, whereas before I never went below 100ish.
So yeah, I'm a dumbass. I turn RT on when playing singleplayer. Forgot I left it on and went into multiplayer.

BigLee74

On the last mission in Cuba. Can't get 2 minutes into it without it crashing my XSX and turning it off.

Anybody else suffering this?

I don't think I've ever played such a consistently sweaty game in my entire life. It's like playing an army of your clones that have all just snorted some adderall. Still enjoying the gameplay though.

Last edited:

decisions

Thoughts on the campaign...

I really like parts of the campaign, and until the last few missions I would've considered it one of the best COD campaigns. However, after "The End of the Line", there's all this weird stuff that sort of undermines the whole thing. I really enjoyed the unorthodox missions here, such as the one in Berlin and "Desperate Measures" which is probably one of the best COD missions ever.

However, Treyarch always feels like they have to throw some sci-fi crap into their campaigns and they have no idea how to handle it well. The end of the game is supposed to be this choice between whether you want to fight for the CIA or for Perseus, but there is literally no reason why anyone would be sympathetic to Perseus. There should've been a memory mission to outline Perseus' goals and maybe make him morally grey, maybe this mission could also imply that some of the CIA's intel is wrong or based on big assumptions. As it stands the CIA are the characters that you've been with the entire game, and Perseus is some distant villain you've never met that wants to nuke an entire continent.

Also, since the good ending means that Adler likely kills you, it makes it hard for the player to look back on the cast of characters in a positive way. Up to a certain point, the story does a good job of establishing a group of cool undercover agents, which led to some almost noir-feeling missions in the game (such as the Berlin mission especially). But then the end of the story with this mind control crap undermines this a lot. They should try and salvage what they can of the pre-twist campaign for the sequel, and just roll with that for the next one. They found some ways to make this work for COD and also it was clearly different from the more serious, hyper-realistic mil-sim feeling of MW.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I got to try some 120fps matches on my brother's LG CX earlier and damn does it feel buttery. It makes my KS8500 feel like a pleb TV.

Sushen

Are you guys playing 4k mode or 120fps 1080p? Available information isn't clear if the game runs at 4k 120fps or 1080p.

Last edited:

OutRun88

I really like parts of the campaign, and until the last few missions I would've considered it one of the best COD campaigns. However, after "The End of the Line", there's all this weird stuff that sort of undermines the whole thing. I really enjoyed the unorthodox missions here, such as the one in Berlin and "Desperate Measures" which is probably one of the best COD missions ever.

However, Treyarch always feels like they have to throw some sci-fi crap into their campaigns and they have no idea how to handle it well. The end of the game is supposed to be this choice between whether you want to fight for the CIA or for Perseus, but there is literally no reason why anyone would be sympathetic to Perseus. There should've been a memory mission to outline Perseus' goals and maybe make him morally grey, maybe this mission could also imply that some of the CIA's intel is wrong or based on big assumptions. As it stands the CIA are the characters that you've been with the entire game, and Perseus is some distant villain you've never met that wants to nuke an entire continent.

Also, since the good ending means that Adler likely kills you, it makes it hard for the player to look back on the cast of characters in a positive way. Up to a certain point, the story does a good job of establishing a group of cool undercover agents, which led to some almost noir-feeling missions in the game (such as the Berlin mission especially). But then the end of the story with this mind control crap undermines this a lot. They should try and salvage what they can of the pre-twist campaign for the sequel, and just roll with that for the next one. They found some ways to make this work for COD and also it was clearly different from the more serious, hyper-realistic mil-sim feeling of MW.

It isn’t science fiction though. Read up on MK Ultra.

As for the choice of helping Adler vs. Perseus; you’ve just discovered these people mind fucked you for their agenda. You now know you were already working with Perseus, and that he was an ally. Not sure why it’s hard to comprehend why you’d choose the side you were already on before being brainwashed. Choosing Adlers side is Stockholm Syndrome.

Without the MK Ultra twist it would have just been another generic storyline of stopping a nuke in my opinion.

Compsiox

Banned
Played Zombies for the first time for a few hours. Used to play it almost exclusively all the way up to Black Ops 3.

Gotta say it doesn't feel much different at all and they even made elements like pack a punch underwhelming.

Gerdav

Did that Gamespot review really say it’s ok that it is hard crashing consoles, 😂😂😂😂 fuck me standards have dropped so low I am honestly on the verge of giving up.

Bolivar687

Banned
I have to put this out there - I really don't think the SBMM in this game is bad at all. I play aggressive and I don't have any problem "dropping 30 bombs" in a match like I indigoSociety out here.

yG3ZEeV.jpg

I would just recommend people to play on their lowest latency display, usually your PC monitor, to center your crosshair dot as you move at the corners where you expect enemies to come, and move wisely on the map in relation to your teammates and the objective. The SBMM in Black Ops 3 was WAY worse, that was the first CoD where I played on a gaming monitor because I felt forced to, and even then, it was a constant sweatfest to get to 1.0 kdr. Even when I went back a few months ago to give the game its hundredth second chance, it's still like that even TODAY.

Pro tip - Fireteam Dirty Bomb is great at leveling up your guns fast. The matches are sometimes twice as long but with comparable kills to a regular match, I feel like I'm unlocking twice as many attachments. Also, the mode is just fire, I'm having amazing games and finding more and more teammates who know what they're doing.

I agree with OutRun88 OutRun88
since these spies that you watched torture and kill people all game long you now learn have done that to you. There's also a question if even what they are telling you about the brainwashing is real. It was hinted at that there was something going on with Hudson's distrust of Bell, to the point where he calls him a failed science experiment at the end. I think this twist is also meant to contrast Hudson knowing about the Operation Greenlight nukes and not telling the team. When he's confronted by Woods, he even shifts the spotlight to Adler, that there's something that he's not telling the rest of the team. The twist almost makes you have more empathy for the original Black Ops character Hudson, since his deception is arguably way more benign than what Adler did.

Another awesome thing I LOVED about the Campaign:
in the meeting with Gorbachev, he says "we are in grave danger from the capitalists. Our collective, our very way of life are at risk," it's a comical play on Kennedy telling Mason "we are in grave danger from the communists. Our freedom, our very way of life are at risk." I thought it was clever, funny, and just another example of this game paying homage to the original game but doing something awesome and new while playing to the pastiche of the era all at the same time.

OutRun88

in the meeting with Gorbachev, he says "we are in grave danger from the capitalists. Our collective, our very way of life are at risk," it's a comical play on Kennedy telling Mason "we are in grave danger from the communists. Our freedom, our very way of life are at risk." I thought it was clever, funny, and just another example of this game paying homage to the original game but doing something awesome and new while playing to the pastiche of the era all at the same time.
Yes!! I noticed this the second time I played through. Very clever stuff.

MetalRain

Yes, for me it seems that vsync doesn't work at all after latest patch. Hope it gets fixed soon.

waylo

Banned
I love that they coded zombies to select the one person running dial-up to always be the host.

Is there a way to make a game public, but make sure you're always host? I've got a gigabit connection with no caps that literally never throttles. Let me fuckin' host the damn game.

nordique

I’m one of those people who only enjoys the single player campaigns and plays CoD just for that haha

finished it up now selling it on my local ads

amazing how this game has their crowds. Obviously multiplayer is the biggest but it’s cool.

Last edited:
I have to put this out there - I really don't think the SBMM in this game is bad at all. I play aggressive and I don't have any problem "dropping 30 bombs" in a match like I indigoSociety out here.

yG3ZEeV.jpg

I would just recommend people to play on their lowest latency display, usually your PC monitor, to center your crosshair dot as you move at the corners where you expect enemies to come, and move wisely on the map in relation to your teammates and the objective. The SBMM in Black Ops 3 was WAY worse, that was the first CoD where I played on a gaming monitor because I felt forced to, and even then, it was a constant sweatfest to get to 1.0 kdr. Even when I went back a few months ago to give the game its hundredth second chance, it's still like that even TODAY.

Pro tip - Fireteam Dirty Bomb is great at leveling up your guns fast. The matches are sometimes twice as long but with comparable kills to a regular match, I feel like I'm unlocking twice as many attachments. Also, the mode is just fire, I'm having amazing games and finding more and more teammates who know what they're doing.

I agree with OutRun88 OutRun88
since these spies that you watched torture and kill people all game long you now learn have done that to you. There's also a question if even what they are telling you about the brainwashing is real. It was hinted at that there was something going on with Hudson's distrust of Bell, to the point where he calls him a failed science experiment at the end. I think this twist is also meant to contrast Hudson knowing about the Operation Greenlight nukes and not telling the team. When he's confronted by Woods, he even shifts the spotlight to Adler, that there's something that he's not telling the rest of the team. The twist almost makes you have more empathy for the original Black Ops character Hudson, since his deception is arguably way more benign than what Adler did.

See i told you bro no need to get all bent out over SBMM. Just gotta graduate from Git Gud academy and youll be fine. Seems like you did that. Congrats bro on no longer being a not good enough at cod so i cry about sbmm cry baby 👍

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
The game should show like this in the title
For PS5
Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War | Disc Icon HDD Icon
for PS4
Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War | PS4 Disc Icon HDD Icon

I checked this when I got home that night, and there just isn't a "PS5" or "PS4" in that spot, maybe it only makes note of it if you're using an older version on a new system?

Bought Coldwar for my Series X but I cannot enable Raytracing or 120hz mode under they games Display settings. I have downloaded all parts of the game. Its connected to an LG E9 and the Xbox settings show 4k 120hz and everything below it is detected and enabled. Any ideas?

TheShocker

Bought Coldwar for my Series X but I cannot enable Raytracing or 120hz mode under they games Display settings. I have downloaded all parts of the game. Its connected to an LG E9 and the Xbox settings show 4k 120hz and everything below it is detected and enabled. Any ideas?
TV firmware up to date?

Leyasu

Banned
Go into the games app and click manage game on Xbox dash. Then check there. If you have download the ray tracing and high resolution texture pack, completely restart the Xbox and then check your output resolution. If you are outputting at 120hz , you won’t be able to activate the ray tracing. If you want ray tracing, you need to switch to 60hz

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I checked this when I got home that night, and there just isn't a "PS5" or "PS4" in that spot, maybe it only makes note of it if you're using an older version on a new system?
If there is no note it's the PS5 version

VN1X

Banned
Holy fuck, Youtube just recommended this video to me and this guy is so on point it's kind of scary.

It takes a bit to get going but once he gets past the intro analogy his tirade on game development catering soley to bad player behaviour (to simplify things) couldn't be more true. Still have it on in the background while playing some Risk of Rain but there are some definite truth bombs in here. Even as someone who fully acknowledges that CoD is just my casual escape compared to the more competitive titles I play it's kind of a tough pill to swallow that I've yet again shelled out 60eu just to compete in a participation scheme lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom