• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can MS keep a secret or do they suck at it? This and other questions

seanoff

Can MS keep a secret or do they suck at it? Is the perceived sucking a strategy to have people talk about the system or are they just crap at it?

Conversely, are Nintendo too secretive for their own good?

eg. With the X360 we seem to have had advance knowledge of just about every part of the system way in advance of any official announcements. ie design, tri-core cpu, system schematics etc.

Any thoughts welcome. I'm doing a marketing unit and this just interests me at the moment.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
seanoff said:
Can MS keep a secret or do they suck at it? Is the perceived sucking a strategy to have people talk about the system or are they just crap at it?

eg. With the X360 we seem to have had advance knowledge of just about every part of the system way in advance of any official announcements. ie design, tri-core cpu, system schematics etc.

Any thoughts welcome. I'm doing a marketing unit and this just interests me at the moment.

Who says MS doesn't mean to "leak" things out...?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's all strategy, building and building until it eventually culminated in the ULTIMATE leak:

maximumvirginity.jpg

seanoff

Thats part of the question. Do they "leak" this stuff on purpose? or do you think its just bad security?

I'm doing an assignment at the moment on marketing, its part of it. With new products how much do you let go before they are officially launched

FightyF

Banned
I think they do it on purpose.

I can't prove this...but I really really think Bungie is working on Halo 3. If they wanted it to be known, we would know by now. And if it were supposed to be a secret, we wouldn't know, unless it was badly kept, which it apparently isn't. It's at this point where I realize that I must go to bed.

FiRez

seanoff said:

MS is pretty much synonim of leak, not just with the xbox

Mupepe said:
i'd say promoted

What for? If it was planned leak it was a pretty stupid one.

Hey everybody look I'm playing Halo 2 on an XBOX 360! Look at all these ugly wires coming out of the top! BTW did I mention it has an ungodly HUGE power source in back!!!!!

If it was a planned leak I'd fire the person who came up with it on principle alone.

argon

I dont think Microsoft is manufacturing their own lleaks, being that alot of them are spreading FUD among anyone interested in buying the Xbox360. The specs are out because developers have kits and are working on games. The same would be true for Nintendo, if 3rd parties were currently doing anything for the system.

Nintendo knows how to keep quiet better than any company I've ever seen. However they do it, its truly amazing, and frustrating.. Maybe NCL keeps NOA in the dark about everything. It's also interesting to note the disparity between Nintendo (NOA specifically) and Microsoft with regards to leaks, considering their headquarters are right next to each other in Redmond. I think MS also got a bunch of N64-era NOA employees to defect to the Xbox team several years ago (i.e. Ken Lobb).

Maybe the leaks are getting out through those ex-Nintendo employees, acting as moles? Just wild speculation.. =)

----

Banned
I think it's just the fact that MS employs about 1/5 of the world's population, so it's impossible to keep a secret when 20% of the world is in on it from the start.

GhaleonEB

I suspect it's a mix for Microsoft, some stuff they put out, others that leak out.

For Nintendo, I don't think they have anthing to hide, really. They're desperately trying to stay in the game, and the way to do that is keep their fucking mouth shut. I suspect they have an empty hand, but the suspense keeps them in the conversation.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mupepe said:
i'd say promoted
Definitely not promoted. I don't know if he's been fired or not, but from what I heard from MS they were very pissed off about this.
If it had been planned you would never have had any mention of a huge external supply for example, especially since the power supply is internal in the final system...

Excelion

Banned
especially since the power supply is internal in the final system

are you sure about this ? They could have made the Xbox 20% smaller with an external power supply. All thing considered, Xbox360 CPU and GPU need more watts and will generate more heat, i think an external power supply is a good thing, i don't want my Xbox360 to overheat during a hot summer.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Excelion said:
are you sure about this ? They could have made the Xbox 20% smaller with an external power supply. All thing considered, Xbox360 CPU and GPU need more watts and will generate more heat, i think an external power supply is a good thing, i don't want my Xbox360 to overheat during a hot summer.
xboxbackend.jpg

The cable at the bottom sure does look like your standard 110 / 220 V plug found on PC power supplies and many other power hungry electric stuff.

rastex

Banned
ThirdEye said:
How can you conclude it's internal by that pic?

I think it's because if it was an external power supply you'd see a different cable (like just one pin or something like that), but the cable demonstrated here looks like those that attach to internal power supplies. It's not a 100% certainty, but pretty close.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I'm sure they definitely leak some stuff intentionally but i'm also sure that some people that sign NDAs let shit fly & run their mouth regardless.

I think it's good strategy as there's ZERO such thing as bad pub.

Top Bottom