• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV on Xbox introduces "FFXIV Coins" microtransactions so that Microsoft can get a cut

FFXIV finally officially releases on Xbox in a few days, and Square Enix has posted one last article for Xbox gamers to get ready. But there's an important piece of info that has been conveniently left out until now.

Along with a Game Pass sub required to play the game (as a reminder: there is no equivalent requirement on PS systems), it seems that Microsoft also wants a cut out of every transaction because they are introducing FFXIV Coins to pay for subscriptions and optional items (which currently cost anywhere from $1 to $50). We don't know what the pricing and/or conversion rates will be, but there's a good chance that everything will be priced higher to compensate for Microsoft's cut. It is also a certainty that coins will be sold in bundles as opposed to just being able to buy the amount you need (see: Elder Scrolls Online, or any other online game that sells currency).

FFXIV Coins​

Payment for service fees and optional item purchases will require FFXIV Coins, which can be purchased from the Microsoft Store. Please purchase FFXIV Coins before using the Mog Station or FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Store.

After purchasing FFXIV Coins from the Microsoft Store, log into the Xbox Series X|S version of FINAL FANTASY XIV to have the purchased FFXIV Coins credited to your Square Enix Account. You will not be able to use the purchased FFXIV Coins until you log in, so please be sure to log in after purchasing FFXIV Coins.

But there is a caveat: you're only forced to use FFXIV Coins if you play exclusively on Xbox. If you're playing on multiple platforms, then you're already dealing with MogStation and can just manage your sub through there as usual.

One last PSA for Xbox free trial players: do NOT yet redeem the Starter Edition that is available as a Game Pass perk, because it will turn your account into a paying one. Only redeem it when you're ready to move on from the free trial restrictions.

But yeah, I doubt Square Enix wanted to do this. Players have been complaining about FFXIV's draconian account management for the better part of a decade, and here they introduce something that makes it even worse? Bizarre, but I guess that was part of the deal to bring XIV to Xbox - SE said no to giving MS their own servers, but it cost them 30% per transaction.

sendit

dave chappelle crying GIF

Moochi

I wanted to get in and play again on PC, but the game has been out for ten years and all my accounts are too weird. I bought through steam but played the free trial, but I was also one of the originals before Realm Reborn. Now its too much of a cluster to try to log in to any account. I hope this streamlines the process for playing on Xbox. Mogstation sucks.

Atrus

Gold Member
I think it’s a pretty good indicator of want Microsoft wants with Gamepass.

They want a cut of everything in their ecosystem, hence this blatantly idiotic way of doing things.

Digital game currencies need to have the hammer brought down on them. They need to be convertible to cash and any account balances cannot be absorbed by the company. Ever. They should be treated like forgotten bank accounts.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would actually like to be able to use the console account to pay for the sub, but I already have a square account going for the game. That actually makes it very easy for Xbox players.

kikii

Serious question, does anyone here want to actually play this on Xbox?
prolly alot of peeps, but keyboard and mouse is must like i said in other thread, with gamepad its like hardcore difficulty ^^ (in my opinion)

Edmund

prolly alot of peeps, but keyboard and mouse is must like i said in other thread, with gamepad its like hardcore difficulty ^^ (in my opinion)

You can use keyboard and mouse on the ps5 so im sure you can do the same on the Xbox.

Last edited:
So. Hang on.

If you’ve played this game, you know the Mogstation is a garbage site. It’s a pain to use. I’d much much rather just make my purchases on the Xbox platform, rather than navigating to that site for anything. Frankly it’s a damn shame I still have to go there to make the subscription.

So. Hang on.

If you’ve played this game, you know the Mogstation is a garbage site. It’s a pain to use. I’d much much rather just make my purchases on the Xbox platform, rather than navigating to that site for anything. Frankly it’s a damn shame I still have to go there to make the subscription.
FFXIV Coins are an extra step in the process. You still have to use MogStation to manage your sub.

FFXIV Coins are an extra step in the process. You still have to use MogStation to manage your sub.
I get that and stated it in my comment, but for the microtransactions the coin bypasses the Mog station right? I see a cosmetic mount, buy the coins on the Xbox marketplace, then buy the mount directly in game rather than logging into mog station? That seems like a net positive for user experience to me. But would be much, much, omg so much better if I could manage my subscription directly from Xbox, and tie the game to my Microsoft Account rather than the Square Account.

Totally understand the comments about 30% cut for Microsoft, but that doesn't impact me, if I can do more from the Xbox, and less from a separate crummy website.. this sounds like a better user experience.

Last edited:

Bridges

Haven't played this yet so I don't fully understand the ramifications of these coins being a thing, but isn't it the case that a huge portion of the game can be played completely free without a subscription or other purchase until you get to a certain expansion? Seems like the "needs two subs to be played" stuff is kinda overblown in that case

omegasc

It was already a mess before, and they managed to make it even worse. This needs a The Game Awards trophy or something.

StueyDuck

FFXIV finally officially releases on Xbox in a few days, and Square Enix has posted one last article for Xbox gamers to get ready. But there's an important piece of info that has been conveniently left out until now.

Along with a Game Pass sub required to play the game (as a reminder: there is no equivalent requirement on PS systems), it seems that Microsoft also wants a cut out of every transaction because they are introducing FFXIV Coins to pay for subscriptions and optional items (which currently cost anywhere from $1 to $50). We don't know what the pricing and/or conversion rates will be, but there's a good chance that everything will be priced higher to compensate for Microsoft's cut. It is also a certainty that coins will be sold in bundles as opposed to just being able to buy the amount you need (see: Elder Scrolls Online, or any other online game that sells currency).

But there is a caveat: you're only forced to use FFXIV Coins if you play exclusively on Xbox. If you're playing on multiple platforms, then you're already dealing with MogStation and can just manage your sub through there as usual.

One last PSA for Xbox free trial players: do NOT yet redeem the Starter Edition that is available as a Game Pass perk, because it will turn your account into a paying one. Only redeem it when you're ready to move on from the free trial restrictions.

But yeah, I doubt Square Enix wanted to do this. Players have been complaining about FFXIV's draconian account management for the better part of a decade, and here they introduce something that makes it even worse? Bizarre, but I guess that was part of the deal to bring XIV to Xbox - SE said no to giving MS their own servers, but it cost them 30% per transaction.
If I have to get out some sort of spreadsheet to understand what can and can't be done depending on platform and which tokens and tickets and coins and whatever are bought for which platform depending on the time of month then there's a strong chance I'm just not gonna play 🤣

I'm a long time ffxiv PC player so I know this isn't for me, but making it so complex and obtuse just seems like a bad idea

A total of 8 people on Earth will actually play this on Xbox anyways. I hope the check MS cut Square Enix was worth all the work they had to do to port the game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It feels like modern xbox is run by people who just care about maximum money, even at the expense of their players ease of use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom