• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone please explain this "optical illusion" to me?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
They're really the same color. Open up a paint program, cut square A(or just a piece of it) and drag it towards B. They are the exact same color.

Dilbert

It's actually a pretty cool illusion. To really "get it," though, you will need Photoshop, or a similar program with an "eyedropper" tool.

The two squares -- marked A and B -- are seen as different by the eye. A is a "dark" square, and B is a "light" square, based on the pattern of the checkerboard. That distinction is further emphasized by the choice of text color in the square: A has light text on a dark background, and B has dark text on a light background.

However...the two squares really do have the same exact color! The "light" square is made darker by the shadow from the cylinder, and the "dark" square is made lighter by the illumination source. The easiest way to see it is to save the picture, open it in Photoshop, use the eyedropper tool to "pick up" the color from either A or B, and draw in the other square with the paintbrush. You shouldn't be able to see the line, since the two colors are identical!

I just printed a hardcopy and folded the page so square A was against square B, and damn if they aren't the same shade. Unfold the page and A magically becomes darker than B before your very eyes.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Lucky Forward said:
I just printed a hardcopy and folded the page so square A was against square B, and damn if they aren't the same shade. Unfold the page and A magically becomes darker than B before your very eyes.

My method does essentially the same thing. The first time I saw this image, I moved the square back and forth across the screen and watched it change colors for a few minutes. Really confuse the hell out of me.

Granted, it was like 3 AM at the time.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
compare.jpg

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The large shapes in those pictures aren't actually triangles. The slopes of the two triangles(red and green) are different, so the larger shape they make isn't a triangle anymore. Moving the way they are arranged doesn't change the overall area, it just moves some of the empty space to that white spot.

edit: One way to compare it is to look at each spot above the red triangle and green triangles in the first picture, and compare them directly to the same spot in the second pictures. Each of those squares have slightly less white space in them in the second image than in the first. This is the empty space that was moved to the bottom in the second image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom