• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corey Haim's 1989 video "Me, Myself and I" - The best, worst, most cringiest "documentary" ever?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
For the uninitiated, Corey Haim was an 80's teen heartthrob who crashed and burned HARD. He was frequently seen in movies alongside his bro Corey Feldman like Lost Boys, Dream a Little Dream and License to Drive. After his first visit to rehab when he was 18, Haim decided to put together a video letting all of Hollywood know he was back, clean and ready for action.

What it actually turned out to be was a death knell and quite possibly the best worst "documentary" I've ever seen in my life. If you have around 40 minutes to kill and grew up in the 80s and 90s, check this out.

Me, Myself, and I was a doomed attempt to replace an ugly truth—that Haim was, if anything, even more dependent on drugs, lonely, promiscuous, and self-destructive than people imagined, if Corey Feldman’s recent tell-all autobiography Coreyography is to believed—with the flimsy, transparent fiction that Haim had conquered his demons. The video represents, in many ways, a prehistoric form of social media. In its tragicomic, hilariously and grotesquely misguided way, the “video diary” was an attempt to bypass the gatekeepers of culture and the vultures in the tabloid press and deliver a celebrity’s message straight to his fans.

Haim’s folly was a viral video before the term was ever invented. As documented in the wonderful recent documentary Rewind This!, it was the kind of campy pop culture ephemera that was passed from one pop culture buff to another for the sake of mocking laughter and unintentional hilarity. The tape was designed not only to make teenyboppers swoon; it was a calculated announcement to the industry that Haim was rehabilitated and available for work. It does not seem entirely coincidental that with the exception of the following year’s Prayer of the Rollerboys, Haim would never have another lead in a widely released theatrical film. Me, Myself, and I was the worst possible calling card for Haim.

Rarely has a star appeared less clean and sober than Haim does in the video diary. His eyes often hidden behind shades, his body language jumpy and manic and overflowing with crazy energy, Haim talks a mile a minute, rattling off long, stream-of-consciousness rants that have, over time, made it into the annals of kitsch.

Sometimes, Haim’s statements have the mesmerizing banality and succinct simplicity of a transcendently stupid tweet. Me, Myself, and I is a firm believer in the now widely accepted notion that if a celebrity says something, it is inherently worthy of note, even if it’s something as poignantly mundane and dumb-ass simple as “Baseball—it’s all about hand-eye coordination,” “Driving is the thing in L.A.—you’ve gotta have a car,” or “You are what you wear—I wear something different every day.”

https://slate.com/culture/2014/01/c...-diary-me-myself-and-i-and-justin-bieber.html (I know Slate sucks dick, but this is a great article)

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
“What does kissing really mean to me? To me if you feel, when you kiss a girl, that certain feeling of all those dolphins, like, swimming through your bloodstream, and you get those good tingles inside your stomach, I don’t think there’s anything better than kissing because, basically, it comes to, I guess, the word, love. I guess that’s what it’s all about.”

Yeah bro?

You gonna hog that joint all to yourself? Pass it o'er here.

As for this “Documentary”… God, it’s not easy to watch and just makes me think of how bad he must have been abused by the Hollywood crowd. Fame doesn’t always last and you could tell he was trying so hard to cling to it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
As for this “Documentary”… God, it’s not easy to watch and just makes me think of how bad he must have been abused by the Hollywood crowd. Fame doesn’t always last and you could tell he was trying so hard to cling to it.

He never really had any major starring roles after that video released. Kinda the final nail in the coffin. He did do some straight to vid releases though. AND he did a fuckin PC CD ROM game back in 1993

RGjHoZv.jpeg

And it’s on PSN 😂

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Het was abused and probably as a result a drug addict which in the end killed him. But sure, lets make fun of him in 2024 for some reason.

Chill the fuck out. No one here is making fun of him. I’m just putting this info out there.

I grew up with The Coreys. Feldman was fucking Donatello in arguably the best comic book movie ever. And hey look what I just bought

bzxYPTq.jpeg

Last edited:

T-0800

Chill the fuck out. No one here is making fun of him. I’m just putting this info out there.

I grew up with The Coreys. Feldman was fucking Donatello in arguably the best comic book movie ever. And hey look what I just bought

bzxYPTq.jpeg
Sorry I obviously misread your intent here. No offence meant.

Winter John

I saw that Feldman dude play in some bar last year. It was the weirdest shit. The dude came on dressed like he'd just been cruising for twinks at the bus station.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know a friend who knew him way back as he lived in Toronto for a bit. This was probably in the 90s Id guess. She said he was a super nice guy when the group of them hung out. She never said a bad thing about him. And this was in the 2000s before he died.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I know a friend who knew him way back as he lived in Toronto for a bit. This was probably in the 90s Id guess. She said he was a super nice guy when the group of them hung out. She never said a bad thing about him. And this was in the 2000s before he died.

And that was when he was really in his worst condition.

In the early 2000s, Haim attempted to support himself by selling clumps of his hair and an extracted molar on eBay. The tooth reached $150 before being pulled from the listings in line with eBay's restrictions on the sale of body parts.

Dude actually put out a full page article in Variety basically begging Hollywood to let him back in

xmXUnQQ.jpeg

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Watching this at work. Actually pretty cool. 90s dystopian cult flick with teen gangs on rollerblades. Haims last theatrical starring role.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Dude Prayer of the Rollerboys is fucking awesome. 1990 perfection. Fucking “Head Like A Hole” plays during a scene 😮🙌🏻😂

Post apocalypse/Streets of Fire/Warriors Corey Haim I’m so down with. Fuck. I would’ve loved the shit out of this as a 10 year old.

Also young Patricia Arquette 😏

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
What happened to Corey Haim is probably the saddest story when it comes to child actors. I loved Lucas when I first saw it as a young boy, it resonated with me very much, myself being a nerd who never got the pretty girl. Then I watched License to Drive, Lost Boys and Roller boys and realized he makes a lot of cool movies that resonates with me. I was a big fan and expected him to be a huge star making even cooler movies as he transitioned from child actor to an adult. Then the stories about him came out with the drugs and him spiralling out of control and it made me really disappointed in him. Back then, you only had access media at this point telling the news so there were never any nuance to it, just tabloid shit, gossip and sensationalism. It wasn't until much later when the rumors about him being abused on set and used by scumbags that his addiction to drugs started to make sense. I always prayed for him making a comeback. He was talented and could act. But he never did. His life just kinda dropped off a cliff as an adult and then he died in 2010, way too young. I wish someone could've helped him getting his life on track. He deserved a better fate.

Monkfish877

Always felt sorry for him, poor guy? Did the the truth ever come out? was it Charlie Sheen who raped him or was it that other dude?, I think he was a Hispanic dude?

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Avatar updated. He’s just so fucking cool in Rollerboys. Really what a way to go out. He finally gets the OLDER brother role in a more serious film.

0MWpjf2.jpeg

eGCni8n.jpeg

Plus his hair is fucking amazing in it.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
HQ Prayer of The Rollerboys. The full film.

It’s such a pristine diamond of a timepiece of ‘89-‘90 attitude.

At least watch to hear NINs “Head Like A Hole” playing at a pretty cool scene. Album release was 1989 and the movie released in 1990. They were nothing and got an early break in a Haim flick. So good!

Last edited:

dem

Ok ok ok we need to talk about this. Howard Stern is bald and doing something wearing I don't know what. I know of him as a radio guy. What is this?

That must have been a terrible skit on the Channel 9 show.

I think Howard has a bald cap on, and they are tucking his hair down his back under the scarf/shirt.

belmarduk

What’s funny is I saw Springsteen a few weeks later and nobody cared, but when I told people I’d seen this Corey guy they wanted to know everything.

You went to a Corey Feldman concert? Like, you knew it was him, and you still went? People have certain expectations for Springsteen... but Feldman is shockingly bad. How was your experience at a Corey Feldman concert?

Top Bottom