• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone pls tell me why won't the gov just fucking outlaw these bitch ass miners and scalpers?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They wouldn't punish GPU companies, but passing laws that discourage mining is something they could very well do.

I mean, they already are. Though they say miners are exempt from this bill they are passing, if the crypto market and bitcoin goes down as a result of it, miners will definitely be negatively affected.
One of the biggest discouragement is rising prices of the energy and declining price of crypto, like today. But that "miners stealing valuable silicon" was really a miss.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's almost as if there's no regulation from those we put our supposed trust in that fosters a positive experience

🤔

StormCell

What really needs to happen, from my limited hardware and crypo-minding knowledge, is for someone to produce a piece of hardware especially tailored to crypto-mining that is cheaper to produce and sell than graphics cards. My thinking is that crypto-mining probably doesn't need all of the hardware on these graphics cards, so something stripped down and slightly improved for mining would be the way to resolve this.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s not the scalpers and miners as much as the means in which they obtain the gpus that’s the issue the government could handle.

Which they are starting to crack down on a little by investigating and push harder on taxing people and groups who sell a large amount of product on places like eBay.

Basically these scalper groups work like corporations but claim they just individuals selling a few things.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
8d1dcf31f609e06611c4d3538b7d79d0.gif

Edit: 22:22:22 22:22:22 good thinking lol

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

But that "miners stealing valuable silicon" was really a miss.
Well, don't know about "stealing", but letting people buy huge amounts of GPUs to build crypto farms - that also happen to create lots of e-waste - is definitely low in the priority usage of this valuable silicon.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They wouldn't punish GPU companies, but passing laws that discourage mining is something they could very well do.

I mean, they already are. Though they say miners are exempt from this bill they are passing, if the crypto market and bitcoin goes down as a result of it, miners will definitely be negatively affected.

No one mines bitcoin with GPUs.(nitpicking)
Ether is going POS soon....kinda....eventually.

The Altcoins will take its place, profitability is going to go down with or without any bills.
But eventually itll climb right back up with whichever Altcoin(s) takes Ethers place.
And the bill itself basically says Miners and Developers are going to be exempt.....so the people actually causing the high demand are the people the bill will affect the least.

Thats what happens when you dont fully understand what you are trying to regulate.
The China way is to straight up ban the shit....but I doubt that will catch on.

Basically in this climate if you can afford to GPU mine you can afford to setup your mine in a country that doesnt give a fuck or better yet embraces Crypto.

Fixing this situation is gonna be very very hard.

Guilty_AI

No one mines bitcoin with GPUs.(nitpicking)
Ether is going POS soon....kinda....eventually.

The Altcoins will take its place, profitability is going to go down with or without any bills.
But eventually itll climb right back up with whichever Altcoin(s) takes Ethers place.
Doesn't POS makes farms or amount of processing power pretty much useless to the equation though? If so, wouldn't that cause some relief for the GPU market?
(genuine questions)

Last edited:

Kdad

Difficult to make a law that would be able to solve this sitation without fucking over a lot of private rights.

And scalpers aren`t really the issue, mining is.
You can print money with GPUs. If you live anywhere where power isn`t too expensive yet it`s a no brainer.........
Tax crypto at 100%...solved.

I took it upon myself to be the anti scalper for my friends. I've ended up snagging 9 PS5s and 2 XSXs that I just disperse to my friends and family that have been too frustrated by the scalping situation. I haven't made a dime off of anybody, but most have tipped me with booze. Unfortunately I don't drink anymore...

Boneless

Here is a fun fact for you.
My friend bought one of those Alienware PCs that come with 3090. And guess what ? He sold the pc without the 3090 for 700$ less than what he actually paid for the whole thing.

And guess what ? That card is amazing in terms of heat noise thermal and mining . How do I know ? Because I gave him my 3080 plus 400$ for his 3090 and I am using this card right now for mining to cover the 400$ when I am not playing ( been doing it for 2 weeks now on and off and I already have 50$ back )

Energy bills.
Declining crypto value.
Declining GPU longevity.

RIP.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Doesn't POS makes farms or amount of processing power pretty much useless to the equation though? If so, wouldn't that cause some relief for the GPU market?
(genuine questions)

Yes POS eliminates the need for miners.
But thats why you are seeing Altcoins jumping outta the woodwork now.
Everyone is preparing for when Ether goes POS so they are hopefully ready for the next "big one".
Energy bills.
Declining crypto value.
Declining GPU longevity.

RIP.
A 3090 pays for itself in energy bills.
Crypto goes up and down, but a 3090 wont be a loss maker regardless.
Mining doesnt reduce the longevity of a GPU...especially if that cat has a decent 3090 with good memory cooling.

Money in the bank.

Reallink

Blame retailers and Nvidia/AMD, not people or the government. Retailers could easily implement a waitlist limited to 1 unit per matching billing and shipping address and not allow people to rebuy units every restock, or buy 1 of every 247 different 3080 SKUs. Nvidia and AMD could push this themselves if they wanted to as they control the inventories, instead they're more than happy to allow AIBs to prescalp cards at 200% MSRP.

(genuine questions)

ETH was itself a worthless alt coin back when BTC was still minable with GPUs. ETH owes its entire value and legitimacy to BTCs shift to ASICs. As this is all imaginary money with arbitrary valuation, its worth is willed into existence by a large enough group of people backing it, and GPU miners are very large and powerful group of people. A GPU friendly alt coin will absolutely and undoubtedly rocket to the moon when ETH is no longer minable. The best you can reasonably hope for is a small period of lag where GPU alt coins fight for the seat on that rocket.

Last edited:

RSLAEV

If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that the government are the LAST people I want to go to for solutions to life's problems

Haggard

Banned
Tax crypto at 100%...solved.
Since it`s nigh impossible to track crypto wallets let alone profits send through several back to their owners that would be utterly pointless.
being hard/impossible to track is one of the key aspects of that crap. Makes it ideal for money laundering, too......

Last edited:

Kdad

Since it`s nigh impossible to track crypto wallets let alone profits send through several back to their owners that would be utterly pointless.
being hard/impossible to track is one of the key aspects of that crap. Makes it ideal for money laundering, too......
It would stop the casual crypto market...for fuck sakes Norton is building into their bloody virus scam software...

Haggard

Banned
It would stop the casual crypto market...for fuck sakes Norton is building into their bloody virus scam software...
The issue is not the private someone mining with 1-2 GPUs, that part of the crypto market is nigh negligible when you look at the wallet distribution. The vast majority of coins is owned by a relativbely small percentage of wallets.
The issue is the big mining farms and the people behind them. And those ppl are so rich by now that you can forget getting to them through taxes.

A worldwide ban of crypto or a forced 100% switch to proof of stake would be the only options.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I don't think we want government overreach here. I don't want to get arrested for shopping at Costco.
Have you seen every single thread bitching about loot boxes and micro-transactions?
There's nothing gamers love more than telling other people what they can and cannot do with their money.

soulbait

That would be a giant can of worms, and not really a problem for the government to solve. It is not a need that is being prevented for every day of life.

On the other hand, the manufacturers and the retailers are the ones who place things in place to prevent this from happening. However, once again we have to ask why they would invest money into a system that is only used every now and again for big ticket items? What is the ROI to prevent these things? Either way, especially the retailers, they get their money. Same profits for them no matter what. For the manufacturers, it could turn into an issue where the average buying public begins to lose interest in your product due to not being able to purchase and/or purchase a competitor's offering. So I would say the manufacturers have a need to put these in place, even more so for console makers where they make money off of anything sold dealing with the console.

A retailer could attempt to put in a good system to help create goodwill among the buyers, but for hot ticket items, most potential buyers do not care where they are buying it from, just wherever they can. So the return would have to be on the buyer coming back to the store to buy other items, based on the goodwill gained to purchase the hard to get item. Again, could be hard to see true ROI on that, but goodwill can sometimes go a long way.

TLDR:
  • Government - no need to step in. This does not impact how a citizen lives their life
  • Retailer - little need to step in. Could provide goodwill to consumers, which could increase sales in the future, but the ROI may not be there
  • Manufacturers - some need to step in to protect the consumer from buying the competition instead. But if the competition is having the same issue, then maybe do it for a competitive advantage?

//DEVIL//

Energy bills.
Declining crypto value.
Declining GPU longevity.

RIP.
1-One gpu won’t matter.
2-This is a point no one controls
3-Not necessary at all. My card is running at 48 degrees ( 3090 ) . It’s a matter of how do you undervolt the card or oc it . Some people are greedy and aim for the highest possible income . Some people mine 24 7. Then yeah . But on a personal mining for someone who is careful ? No nothing gonna happen to that Gpu .

Last edited:
Top Bottom