• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone tell me about this picture?

igneditors.jpg

I know it was taken during the Nintendo E3 2005 Press Conference, but who took it? How did it hit the net so quickly?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ign took it. it hit the net so quickly cause ign posted it on their website

oh, and it's taken from the E3 2003 conference

so apparantly you don't know anything

Deku Tree

I think it's a picture of IGN's reaction to PacMan Vs. and connectivity in general.

It's been used as a standard GAFFER joke picture for a few years now.

duckroll

Deku Tree said:
I think it's a picture of IGN's reaction to PacMan Vs. and connectivity in general.

It's been used as a standard GAFFER joke picture for a few years now.

It's way more than just a GAFFER joke picture. The Japanese message boards picked this up after it was posted and it's been a default "good reaction vs WTF reaction" reaction shot for 4-koma (4 panel) skits ever since. Everytime something stupid, silly or lame is announced they'll run something cool and related on the first panel, the "HELL YEAH!!" photo as the second panel, then they'll place the newly announced nonsense in the third panel and this "ZING!" reaction pic as the final panel. It's quite a popular meme online and isn't remotely limited to just GAF.

jenov4

duckroll said:
It's way more than just a GAFFER joke picture. The Japanese message boards picked this up after it was posted and it's been a default "good reaction vs WTF reaction" reaction shot for 4-koma (4 panel) skits ever since. Everytime something stupid, silly or lame is announced they'll run something cool and related on the first panel, the "HELL YEAH!!" photo as the second panel, then they'll place the newly announced nonsense in the third panel and this "ZING!" reaction pic as the final panel. It's quite a popular meme online and isn't remotely limited to just GAF.

This description & picture needs to go in Wikipedia.org. ;)

Hell, Gamefaqs has their own section.

Tiktaalik

I'm assuming the "hell yeah!" photo is from the same conference (or at least same E3). What were they showing for that picture?

Odnetnin

Banned
Zaxxon said:
I'm assuming the "hell yeah!" photo is from the same conference (or at least same E3). What were they showing for that picture?

different E3. I think it was for the LOZ TP unvieling (miyamoto + shield + 1up shirt)

Lionheart

Zaxxon said:
The 'hell yeah!' one was from E3 2004, because Nintendo's press conference then was a lot better than 2003's. :) The first one was only very popular in topics with bad news / announcements from Nintendo at first and because of it's popularity, IGN decided to make a follow-up in 2004. Then came the 'good reaction / WTF reaction' photoshops.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
duckroll said:

didnt Defensor started the whole "good reaction vs WTF reaction" pics? or did he steal that idea from somewhere else? :p

Wario64 said:
didnt Defensor started the whole "good reaction vs WTF reaction" pics? or did he steal that idea from somewhere else? :p

He stole it from 2ch, Japan's most popular (and anonymous) message forum.

As long as we're writing a Wikipedia article, the "HELL YEAH!" photo from E3 2004 was actually taken in ADVANCE of the show itself; IGN Cube knew that Zelda would be coming, and thought it would be funny to do a "repeat" of the previous year's photo. But they managed to mess up the lineup order when reposing. Oops! The anime-style and other drawn parody pics will usually correct this oversight.

LakeEarth

The "hell yeah!" picture was purposefully done to look like the disappointed pic, but even so it does perfectly capture the difference between Nintendo's showings in E3 2003 and E3 2004.

Top Bottom