• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we reflect on how once-in-a-lifetime Twitch Plays Pokemon was?

Menitta

I never was that big into actually watching TPP as I found it to be boring, but I loved the recaps, memes and meltdowns that came from it.

Yes oh my god. I had forgot about that the day it was supposed to happen so I missed the first movie, but I was able to watch the second movie and it was magical. The twitch chat along with the subtle stuff in the movie like ashs bad jokes and team rockets dark humour was just fantastic. It kinda went down hill once the third movie came on and I wish I could've seen some other stuff but I went to bed. I still kick myself for not watching the first movie. Shame that kinda thing will never be archived

Yup. It's kinda fun it's course now, but Bob Ross for that first week or so was just fantastic

I adore all of the Pokemon movies, even the bad ones. I missed the first 3 gen 4 movies which are my favorite, in Twitch Watches Pokemon, so I feel your pain. I'm still so upset they skipped like 3 movies. They skipped Pokemon Heroes! We were denied seeing Ash kiss fuckin Latias with a Twitch Chat! It was probably because of Mirmax (or whatever the company is) so I understand...but FUCK!

Nanashrew

Banned
I really hope they do another Twitch watches Pokemon. It would honestly be fun, and I'd even be down for the original Kanto run played weekly on the channel.

KillGore

The most impressive part for me was the lore that was created around it. That and all the amazing art work. That was really amazing.

And although I do agree that they should've waited until doing the next game; even if they did, someone else would've beaten them to the punch.

Samikaze

I remember my coworker and I made it a daily thing. We'd sit down for lunch and watch the stream for our break. By the end there were multiple people at my job watching it with us and commenting on it. It was like a non-stop TV show.

"Dude! Did you see Twitch last night?!"

Zubz

Banned
Twitch Plays Pokemon should have stopped streaming after the first game ended and wait a whole year to start up the next gen; make it a yearly event. I think that would have kept it's popularity.

Came here to post this. Fighting TPP Red on Mt. Silver would've been legendary if we hadn't stopped playing as him the previous week.

RockmanBN

Twitch Plays Pokemon should have stopped streaming after the first game ended and wait a whole year to start up the next gen; make it a yearly event. I think that would have kept it's popularity.

Problem was that many copy cat streams were showing up. It was either ride the popularity to nothing or have copy cats eat his/her Twitch subscription revenue.

Though watching this unfold was something I've never experienced and will never experience again.

psyfi

Banned
I can't stand using Twitch chat so I didn't pay much attention to it, but I still heard a ton about it second hand, and yeah. It was truly amazing.

Sai-kun

Banned
getting stuck on the pre-victory road route to the west of viridian city was some of the most hilarious shit i've seen in my entire life

TheOGB

Banned
7NuWmE4.png

Fond memories of that first run.

We did Lt. Surge's puzzle in ONE TRY. That stupid thing takes me 10 tries since it's completely random. Blows my mind
I caught the thread pretty early on, just before Mt. Moon I believe, but I think this was the moment I got seriously invested. That was the clear indication that I was witnessing one of the greatest things to happen in gaming/streaming.

I still can't believe they caught the fucking Zapdos, there were too many things that could have gone wrong and somehow a miracle happened.

PeterGAF

Banned
I lived in a dorm with 3 other guys at the time and we had it running on the TV in the background all the time. Getting nostalgic just thinking about it!

Was fun when we were 1000 and in like two hours the number was 10000. But I abandoned it during the anarchy/democracy days and only saw the ending for pure luck.
Praise the Moon Stone, not the Helix.

McNum

I still can't believe they caught the fucking Zapdos, there were too many things that could have gone wrong and somehow a miracle happened.
Of course there was a miracle. When your team has a god, a messiah, a king, a prince, and an all terrain vehicle, and you're looking for an angel, what else would you expect?

Oh man, the lore. The experiment itself could have just turned into a borefest early, but all of that damn lore.

Praise Helix!

Jesus, I just went into one of the older threads to check out the fanart, the internet will never be that good again.

This. It transformed a great social event into something absolutely forgetable

a real shame to be honest :/

Loved streaming it while working. I think I suspended watching during the ledge part because it took forever. I remember going to sleep and waking up and it was still there.

Verelios

The run of gold was dope as hell and made some of my favorite lore implementations, namely legacy and acceptance. That final moment at Mt. Silver when red's prior team was patched in and we won, by a thread, was glorious. Lazorgator clutch victory

Zelias

Banned
The first run was legendary. Lost interest after that though, as has been suggested they should have made it a yearly thing.

jackal27

Banned
Still one of the most incredible things I've ever seen that could only happen at this point in history with our internet the way it is right now.

Can't wait to tell my kids about it someday.

Cess007

It was amazing. I was totally hooked with TPP since I started watching (minutes after beating Brock) There were a lot of incredible moments, along the ones already mentioned, I vividly remember ATV moment of glory against Lance, and beating Blue.

Shame they run the idea/concept into the ground.

Yeah. It really coulda became a beloved event, and last many years.

Problem was he wanted to take advantage of the situation, and I can't blame him, I know I, and many others would have probably tried to do the same.

Yeah. It really coulda became a beloved event, and last many years.

Problem was he wanted to take advantage of the situation, and I can't blame him, I know I, and many others would have probably tried to do the same.

Not gonna happen. Other people will continue it anyway. TPP script isn't exactly a difficult thing to write.

N4Us

< Super wild. I just remember I'd wake up the next day and some sort of panic would always go on.

I do agree he should've delayed Gen II a bit, and a few later ones were stinkers (Brown was painful), but some were pretty entertaining. Moemon, Emerald, Platinum, Omega Ruby (Forget Zapdos, they caught a half-health Rayquaza in a fucking Poke Ball in this one), Crystal Anniversary and Black 2 were good ones.

watershed

Banned
It really was an amazing event in gaming and internet culture. Someday someone is going to make a crazy movie about it. Hopefully someone is already writing a great dissertation about it.

Crayolan

< Super wild. I just remember I'd wake up the next day and some sort of panic would always go on.

I do agree he should've delayed Gen II a bit, and a few later ones were stinkers (Brown was painful), but some were pretty entertaining. Moemon, Emerald, Platinum, Omega Ruby (Forget Zapdos, they caught a half-health Rayquaza in a fucking Poke Ball in this one), Crystal Anniversary and Black 2 were good ones.

Rayquaza has a catch rate of 45 and is mandatory in ORAS, so that's not that impressive. What's more crazy is them catching Zapdos with a master ball AGAIN in Anniversary Red.

Ecksby

Neo Member
I feel like if someone organised it, maybe gave like a week notice or something, and really marketed it as a repeat of the last time, it might reach like half the scale of the original. I'd still love to try it again though. I remember getting to the Lavender town Pokemon Centre and the catharsis that came with that. I'd been drinking the night before at a party, and the next morning we woke up, ate pancakes, and watched the struggle. It was an amazing experience.

Top Bottom