• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

can you believe it's been 5 years already since nextgen gaming began?

which headset first got you into VR?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

for the first year or so I was a VR hater, hating to see Sony investing money better spent on AAA on small gimmicky titles... then big games like RE7, Dirt Rally and Skyrim got ported and picked up my interest to instant game-changing nextgen jump I've not seen since the mid 90s and we've gone from 2D sprites to 3D polygons. I'm now hooked for over 3 years.

what are you waiting for to ditch that last century routine of sitting in front of a tv pushing buttons to actually step into the games you love and shoot everywhere or slice limbs and pierce armor with sword in hand?

Guilty_AI

what are you waiting for to ditch that last century routine of sitting in front of a tv pushing buttons to actually step into the games you love and shoot everywhere or slice limbs and pierce armor with sword in hand?
Brain wave interfaces

Gabe_Newell.jpg

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Til the headsets become much lighter and completely wireless, and the screens 1080p per eye at least.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think Sony will announce a big psvr ps5 bundle it just out prices and shows more value than other vr headsets imho

How light is it? I’ve only used psvr.

a bit lighter, but most of the weight is on your face. I still found default strap perfectly acceptable - mind, it gets better with use, like a worn shoe fitting better and being more comfortable, first few days the faceplate is a bit too rigid...

Gargauth

I realize this is a troll thread, but in all seriousnes I can't imagine myself playing in VR in its current state, if ever.
When I am playing a game I like to have awareness of whats going on outside of a game, that's one of the reasons why I cannot play without open head headphones so that I can hear whats happening around me (better sound due to wider soundstage is also nice bonus). I can't imagine putting a VR headset and losing peripheral vision. With this mindset I think I'll never be able to play games in VR, which I frankly currently don't mind as there's very few games that I would like to experience (basically just HL Alyx and Hitman VR and maybe trying Beat Saber).

And even then there are so many drawbacks for VR - sweating, headaches, low resolution displays, screendoor effect (maybe it's been solved, I don't know, I'm not really following development that much).

When I am playing a game I like to have awareness of whats going on outside of a game, t

so you play games to be aware of your surroundings, needy kids, complaining wife, neighbors listening loud music. Cool man, cool.

But I'd say most of us play games for escapism, for escaping exactly from that boring reality. And headphones and 3 monitor setups and dark rooms have always been old means of getting better escapism by immersing ourselves more into the games. And now we come to VR, final immersion achieved.

But hey, I'd rather be listening to the loud neighbor and my loving complaining wife...

Last edited:

Gargauth

so you play games to be aware of your surroundings, needy kids, complaining wife, neighbors listening loud music. Cool man, cool.

But I'd say most of us play games for escapism, for escaping exactly from that boring reality. And headphones and 3 monitor setups and dark rooms have always been old means of getting better escapism by immersing ourselves more into the games. And now we come to VR, final immersion achieved.

But hey, I'd rather be listening to the loud neighbor and my loving complaining wife...
I play games not to escape, but to enjoy good gameplay. I can do that perfectly fine while also being aware of my surroundings.

If I had annoying wife I would tell her to shut up. If I had annoying neighbors, I'd switch to speakers and turn them up to 11.

When VR headsets look like this -
monster-children-electric-4.jpg

VR may get some kind of traction.
Traditional gaming will still outsell VR easily though.

Btw:

that may be a prevalent reality in the next decade, but I doubt we'll get anything but simple contextual smart glasses this decade...

Shakka43

Started with PSVR, got a OQ2 last year and it is my preferred way to play at the moment.
I'm looking forward to PSVR2 with its new controllers and will probably pre-ordered it once it become available.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I am willing to bet if the game industry could just put away their pew pew shooters for a min and make old school point and click adventure games in VR they would have a audience there. It’s almost stupidly obvious of how well they would go together.

my example would be a game that looks like cyberpunk but played like the old Westwood blade runner.

I would love to go in on VR but I've bought a VR headset 3 times and returned it every time.

I had a PSVR and I loved it despite it's issues. Rez Infinite and Wipeout in VR were game changing, however once I played through those at the time I couldn't find much to play really.
I then got a Oculus Rift S to play Half Life Alyx and found myself in the same space as before. Not enough games that I knew I would like, but hundreds of games that maybe I would play for 15 minutes.
THEN a month ago or so I bought a Oculus Quest 2 and found I still just don't have enough games I would play (and for long enough) to justify the price. I wanted to get in on some of the fitness games just as a little extra thing for when I don't feel like just being on the treadmill or with weights. I couldn't play it for more then like 10-15 minutes because of the weight of the headset so it was pointless.

If anybody gets me in on VR again it will probably be Sony.

Last edited:
I am willing to bet if the game industry could just put away their pew pew shooters for a min and make old school point and click adventure games in VR they would have a audience there. It’s almost stupidly obvious of how well they would go together.

my example would be a game that looks like cyberpunk but played like the old Westwood blade runner.

there actually are plenty of very good games like those in VR already, including Myst itself and Obduction, both from Cyan, huge fans of VR, also working on Firmament. seeing those worlds up close still blows my mind.

Sam and Max are also coming to VR. Psychonauts got a nice short game in the style way back then...

many nice indies too, looking forward for Maskmaker.

I play games not to escape, but to enjoy good gameplay. I can do that perfectly fine while also being aware of my surroundings.

If I had annoying wife I would tell her to shut up. If I had annoying neighbors, I'd switch to speakers and turn them up to 11.
Oculus Quest has a leaked feature currently planned where it will detect any object bigger than your hand within your play boundary. Extrapolate this another 4-5 years and you'll see individual object-detection, where you define a tag like 'human', 'pet', 'food', 'drink', 'furniture' and the cameras on the headset will pick it up in real-time, letting you have whatever surroundings you need, but cut out the rest. This combined with open-ear headphones will ensure VR is fine for you.

Not enough games that I knew I would like, but hundreds of games that maybe I would play for 15 minutes

bingo!

I too hate that good games for VR are far and in-between. They come in drops.

I really hope that changes with psvr2. Sony is the only one actually bringing big game ports to the market, Oculus is all about mini social experiences, Valve doesn't care, whatever sells on steam is good.

In any case, I persisted. Looks like you missed the best output for psvr, including Astro Bot, Hitman, Blood and Truth, No Man's Sky etc

bingo!

I too hate that good games for VR are far and in-between. They come in drops.

I really hope that changes with psvr2. Sony is the only one actually bringing big game ports to the market, Oculus is all about mini social experiences, Valve doesn't care, whatever sells on steam is good.

In any case, I persisted. Looks like you missed the best output for psvr, including Astro Bot, Hitman, Blood and Truth, No Man's Sky etc
I definitely missed out on some good stuff. I played more then what I mentioned but those were the standouts.
Yeah, I like that Sony seems to want some big titles out. Don't get me wrong as some small indie stuff is great (I'm a huge fan of indie horror and RPG Maker games) but I think having big "blockbuster" titles will be the way to get VR into the mainstream.

I think VR being mainstream however is pretty far off.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think VR has a future, but it isn't now...

It has a long journey ahead of it, and a lot of evolving to do.

And Samsung Vr which was killed long ago is still the best selling VR headset, the most accessible VR headset, the cheapest VR headset, and the VR headset where the requirement to play (samsung or modded compatible phone) is the lowest and within most peoples reach.

meanwhile PSVR still hasn't sold 6 million, the best VR experiences all require insane money investments and most of the games still play like tech demo's.

And Samsung Vr which was killed long ago is still the best selling VR headset, the most accessible VR headset, the cheapest VR headset, and the VR headset where the requirement to play (samsung or modded compatible phone) is the lowest and within most peoples reach.

meanwhile PSVR still hasn't sold 6 million, the best VR experiences all require insane money investments and most of the games still play like tech demo's.
Samsung Gear VR was often given away with phones and actually has a higher barrier to use than a Quest or Quest 2 because you have to snap your phone into it.

Oculus Quest 2 has outsold Oculus Rift, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Go, and Oculus Quest 1 combined in only half a year. It will outsell PSVR sometime in 2023 or sooner.

sainraja

for the first year or so I was a VR hater, hating to see Sony investing money better spent on AAA on small gimmicky titles... then big games like RE7, Dirt Rally and Skyrim got ported and picked up my interest to instant game-changing nextgen jump I've not seen since the mid 90s and we've gone from 2D sprites to 3D polygons. I'm now hooked for over 3 years.

You are still pressing buttons with a headset on so that's not changed and for me personally (getting nauseous doesn't help) VR isn't attractive simply due to what it is trying to do - it's not immersive, so many things I feel like aren't good yet (broken hands to represent your actions, just doesn't work for me). It can be fun for a little bit but it's not how people who love VR describe it to me....I don't get that after trying it a couple times.

You are still pressing buttons with a headset on so that's not changed and for me personally (getting nauseous doesn't help) VR isn't attractive simply due to what it is trying to do - it's not immersive, so many things I feel like aren't good yet (broken hands to represent your actions, just doesn't work for me). It can be fun for a little bit but it's not how people who love VR describe it to me....I don't get that after trying it a couple times.
Unless you are very very picky about certain headset issues like the field of view or resolution, it is much more immersive than you think. The immersion of one experience can be widely different from another - you need to try more content out.

Half-Life: Alyx, Hellblade, Alien Isolation, Paper Beast, Wolves in the Walls, Lone Echo, and Lo-Fi are prime examples.

Have you not played any of those yet?

sainraja

Unless you are very very picky about certain headset issues like the field of view or resolution, it is much more immersive than you think. The immersion of one experience can be widely different from another - you need to try more content out.

Half-Life: Alyx, Hellblade, Alien Isolation, Paper Beast, Wolves in the Walls, Lone Echo, and Lo-Fi are prime examples.

Have you not played any of those yet?
Yeah I haven't tried any of those yet. I have only got to try a little bit of VR at kiosks and more recently my sister's Oculus. I don't have my own personally to just take out and try. But perhaps I need to try those first, to your point.

I have played with both Oculus devices, several WMR devices, and even the Magic Leap AR development device and I still can't get into VR/AR. The funny thing is I see a ton of promise in the technology. I can imagine a day where big corporations design a "campus" that everyone "goes to work at" that is based fully in VR. I could see AR becoming standard, with overlays replacing all of our smartphone apps. The problem is the headsets still suck. The ones that are powerful enough to not make me sick are still bulky and annoying, and the light ones make too many visual sacrifices. We need light, wireless, super high def, super high refresh for this to really take off in my opinion.

Yeah I haven't tried any of those yet. I have only got to try a little bit of VR at kiosks and more recently my sister's Oculus. I don't have my own personally to just take out and try. But perhaps I need to try those first, to your point.
You'd also be very surprised at how immersive social VR is. This is why Facebook bought Oculus in the first place, as a social telepresence tool.

So if you can try social VR like VRChat and see what it's like to see people live dancing for example (and maybe join them?) - that really sells the immersion fast because real human body language comes through in real-time. Echo VR is another example of one that is more of a game rather than a hangout space.

Last edited:
Samsung Vr which was killed long ago is still the best selling VR headset, the most accessible VR headset, the cheapest VR headset, and the VR headset

also the crappiest "VR headset" - gyroscope VR is nothing but 3D glasses with 360 visualization... it doesn't give one much insight about what makes VR great, which is positional tracking putting a virtual world around and tracking your every motion so it knows exactly where you are relative to objects, which can be manipulated...

Btw, imagine the quality of the games back on phones then when Quest 2 with state-of-the-art mobile chip today is still lacking...

it sold as tie-in to phones, not that people actively used it...

Top Bottom