• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

can you believe it's been 5 years already since nextgen gaming began?

which headset first got you into VR?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are still pressing buttons with a headset on so that's not changed

here's the deal, man: see that game where you push a button and the character punches/swings an axe/throws a grenade or something? In VR that's you in the shoes of the character, you're actually punching, swinging a sword in your hand, throwing a grenade.

there's a few button presses involved here and there? Yes, but overall far less - VR is not really button mashing, it's about being there in the game and performing actions with your own hands...

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

A Game shop (UK answer to Gamestop) were charging punters around a fiver (£5) to have a go on a VR device (PSVR iirc) some time ago.
What a bunch of Wankers. I think Edge Magazine touched on the subject, saying that they had a real advantage over online sales what with being able to extol the virtues of VR better, with their flagging High street stores, physically obviously. But they'd rather chuck potential sales away for a cheeky fiver.

The ones that are powerful enough to not make me sick
sickness is in you, not in the tech. The dissociation between what you see and what your body feels will be there no matter how top your pc and headset are.

you either get over it after some time or just sell it and go back to tv. Seems to be an issues mostly with old farts and sensible soyboys. There are tons of kids running and jumping all day long in games like Rec Room and you never see them complaining. That's the actual future VR audiences for most games...

You'd also be very surprised at how immersive social VR is. This is why Facebook bought Oculus in the first place, as a social telepresence tool.

So if you can try social VR like VRChat and see what it's like to see people live dancing for example (and maybe join them?) - that really sells the immersion fast because real human body language comes through in real-time. Echo VR is another example of one that is more of a game rather than a hangout space.
I don't give a crap to social VR or multiplayer in general but I'll give you that telepresence is really a powerful, very striking feature of the tech

I mean, you feel right close to someone you know is in other country and you both are drawing in the same white board and then they ask for a different colored pen and you just hand them. It's a very magical moment when you put the context in place.

I don't give a crap to social VR or multiplayer in general but I'll give you that telepresence is really a powerful, very striking feature of the tech

I mean, you feel right close to someone you know is in other country and you both are drawing in the same white board and then they ask for a different colored pen and you just hand them. It's a very magical moment when you put the context in place.
Eh, I think anyone that cares about seeing people in person will care about social VR/AR in the long-run. If you only enjoy online interactions and never really crave real human contact, then it won't really be for you, but otherwise it will be.

There’s still huge stigma, I believe, with wearing that thing on your head and punching the air. I know it would make me feel uncomfortable around other people. It’s not like that with traditional video games. And I don’t see next generation catching up to it, they’re all over Roblox and shit.

Only if society progressed in the direction that we would wear some devices on our head everyday, that would make it more normal.

There’s still huge stigma, I believe, with wearing that thing on your head and punching the air. I know it would make me feel uncomfortable around other people. It’s not like that with traditional video games. And I don’t see next generation catching up to it, they’re all over Roblox and shit.

Only if society progressed in the direction that we would wear some devices on our head everyday, that would make it more normal.
The fact that 150 million people play Roblox every month only helps VR. Roblox is a social platform first and a game second, and VR is precisely the next step in that trajectory.

Anyone growing up with Roblox as the way it's intended will want VR in the future.

Last edited:
know it would make me feel uncomfortable around other people. It’s not like that with traditional video games. And I don’t see next generation catching up to it, they’re all over Roblox and shit.

once upon a time, videogames were kids past time, then nerds past time, way before FIFA, COD, Animal Crossing casual gamers decided it should be a dumbed down hobby for everyone.

Btw, you'd be surprised how many kids we saw in Oculus Quest forums asking how to play Roblox in VR...

The fact that 150 million people play Roblox every month only helps VR. Roblox is a social platform first and a game second, and VR is precisely the next step in that trajectory.

Anyone growing up with Roblox as the way it's intended will want VR in the future.
when you think about, the main social sandbox games like this are all in VR: VR Chat, Rec Room, Roblox and Minecraft.

and indeed full of kids with brand new Quests...

often asked too are MMO, and while Rec Room or NMS kinda work as MMO, games made for it like Ilysia and Zenith are really going carve out more audience for VR.

I'm all for it. The more players in VR, the more games come...

RPS37

Sold my PSVR to my friend for 100.
It didn’t pass through the right resolution or something anyway.

Edit: HDR. It couldn’t do HDR.

Last edited:
I got first the psvr, vive and o oculus.

just for testing stuff.
psvr was the most fun thanks to a couple of games. Others felt like those free mobile games, play 10 minutes delete.

also the psvr worse quality, still games were good. Like Nintendo haha

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I swear VR is the modern "this will be the year of Linux!", with every year/month people desperately trying to convince the absolute vast majority of the market that this is the only right way to go... Just let it go already. VR cool, but only when it's cool, just as motions controllers were, but for the very same reason a.k.a. limited application it will always be exactly that, limited where it can be applied, where it can be good/cool, meaning it will never replace traditional gaming but be just an interesting addition, not an alternative.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I'm not wearing a head-crab for more than 30 min.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Can you include something like Google Cardboard or those other generic VR boxes "containers" that you put your phone into? That was honestly my first experience with VR.

bender

What time is it?
I tried the PSVR and it is neat. I really liked Thumper, Rez, Tetris Effect and Polybius. People rave about the PSVR being one of the most comfortable HMDs but it is just not something I'd care to use for any sort of extended game play session as I still found it cumbersome. Gaming is about comfort and relaxation for me and having something bulky strapped to your face runs counter to that. It was always one of my biggest gripes about motion controls with the Wii, so VR combines the worst of both worlds for me.

mxbison

PSVR

Astro Bot was Game of the Generation for me.

Didn't use it much apart from that though, have an Oculus Quest now.

Sakura

what are you waiting for to ditch that last century routine of sitting in front of a tv pushing buttons to actually step into the games you love and shoot everywhere or slice limbs and pierce armor with sword in hand?
I have a PSVR and Quest 2, but prefer playing "traditional" games.
It's a hassle hooking things up, I don't have a lot of space in my place and don't want to have to stand up to play games.
VR games fucking suck too. Most of them are super short and shallow, feel like tech demos more than anything else, and/or are extremely low budget. The games that are longer, more traditional experiences, are usually just non-VR games with VR support tacked on after the fact (Skyrim VR etc).
Finally, the immersion is overrated. It's just a screen (or 2) strapped to your face. You can still tell you are in your house pressing buttons on a controller. It's neat the first time you try it, but so was the Wii. It isn't exactly new or revolutionary technology that is being used yet.

I think the future of VR is exciting though. Come out with a much better HMD device, and the sense of touch, and I would be in.

Last edited:
It's a hassle hooking things up, I don't have a lot of space in my place and don't want to have to stand up to play games.
VR games fucking suck too. Most of them are super short and shallow, feel like tech demos more than anything else, and/or are extremely low budget. The games that are longer, more traditional experiences, are usually just non-VR games with VR support tacked on after the fact (Skyrim VR etc).
Finally, the immersion is overrated. It's just a screen (or 2) strapped to your face. You can still tell you are in your house pressing buttons on a controller. It's neat the first time you try it, but so was the Wii. It isn't exactly new or revolutionary technology that is being used yet.

I think the future of VR is exciting though. Come out with a much better HMD device, and the sense of touch, and I would be in.

this guy has a Quest 2 but needs to set things up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sure, bud, it's just a screen on your face and plus you need to cross eyes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw, I play sitting full games like Skyrim on my psvr, which has been setup right next to my PS4 over 3 years ago. It's a total game-changer to be inside games like Doom, Skyrim or Hitman in VR - I don't want anything but more such ports of games I actually enjoy and want to play. I too hate most indies tech demos.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
With the current tech and input methods VR can at best be described as "clumsy".
So I guess that "next gen" is still in alpha.....

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised to see that many PSVR.

I'm not. This is a forum for game enthusiasts, game enthusiasts like consoles, PlayStation is the only console with VR.

Quest is enjoying wild success right now, but it's pretty much the Wii of VR, focusing on minigames for casual gamers - though if you have a good pc, it can open up your range of experiences. Anyway, even being hot, I don't think it has surpassed psvr sales yet, but no doubt it'll reach at least 10 million...

Haggard

Banned
clumsy = exact positional tracking in 3D space giving you amount of precise control like you won't ever have in flat games

Teleporting around and/or turning in fixed degree angles while watching your constantly trembling "hands" is not precice...
We´re still a long way off for VR to actually be "precise" in the actual meaning of the word. Wake me up when you get an omni-treadmill and at least precision tracking gloves with every headset. As the tech is now it`s just too limited to ever be a noteworthy competition for classic games.

Last edited:

sainraja

here's the deal, man: see that game where you push a button and the character punches/swings an axe/throws a grenade or something? In VR that's you in the shoes of the character, you're actually punching, swinging a sword in your hand, throwing a grenade.

there's a few button presses involved here and there? Yes, but overall far less - VR is not really button mashing, it's about being there in the game and performing actions with your own hands...
I haven't tried everything there is for VR but from the stuff I have tried, I didn't get the immersive feeling that you are describing. Perhaps I will give it another go when I can.

I haven't tried everything there is for VR but from the stuff I have tried, I didn't get the immersive feeling that you are describing. Perhaps I will give it another go when I can.

hint: you won't get true immersion like that in gyroscope 3DoF "VR", such as cardboard, Gear VR, Oculus Go and similar...

sainraja

hint: you won't get true immersion like that in gyroscope 3DoF "VR", such as cardboard, Gear VR, Oculus Go and similar...
I've tried Oculus Rift at MS demo. Oculus Quest (but only beat saber and only once) now that my sister has one and the PSVR at a Best Buy demo kiosk.

Last edited:

Sakura

this guy has a Quest 2 but needs to set things up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sure, bud, it's just a screen on your face and plus you need to cross eyes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw, I play sitting full games like Skyrim on my psvr, which has been setup right next to my PS4 over 3 years ago. It's a total game-changer to be inside games like Doom, Skyrim or Hitman in VR - I don't want anything but more such ports of games I actually enjoy and want to play. I too hate most indies tech demos.
Yeah you need to set things up. I gotta clear out a space to play it in, need to have it plugged into a battery back that sits in my pocket because the damn thing dies in like 2 hours. The headset itself is still large and uncomfortable. I can't wear the thing with my glasses on because it doesn't fit. Etc. It's not nearly as bad as the devices that require mounted cameras obviously (which is why I have it) but it's still pretty clumsy technology.

My point wasn't that Skyrim VR is bad. I'm just saying that (aside from a handful of titles) nobody is making full games for VR, so you are stuck playing non-VR games with VR support added on later. I've already played Skyrim and Fallout before. I'm not paying to play them again in VR. I want VR exclusive titles that are actually high quality, full experiences (stuff like Alyx), and I'm tired of all these 20 to 30 dollar bite sized tech demos.

It seems like you don't have depth perception.

I've tried Oculus Rift at MS demo. Oculus Quest (but only beat saber and only once) now that my sister has one and the PSVR at a Best Buy demo kiosk.

well, those are true 6DoF - you have light sabers in your hands after all. But crappy minigame. Try VR with some actual game. The epicness of seeing Skyrim or NMS landscapes up close in scale is always breathtaking...

iQuasarLV

Only when some studio ponies up the steel balls to make that killer-app game 150% a VR transcendent experience. Then dumbs it down for the non-VR audience to have that a-ha moment when they try it in VR, I will pass. I spend enough being a beta stooge in regular gaming. I don't need to take the plunge in an entire platform.

I can't wear the thing with my glasses on

oh, now I can understand where the clumsiness comes from... I don't wear glasses, I've seen some that use but still have a good time in VR...

nobody is making full games for VR, so you are stuck playing non-VR games with VR support added on later. I've already played Skyrim and Fallout before. I'm not paying to play them again in VR

Not yet, but hopefully more releases like Hitman 3, with VR mode included, on psvr2.

My luck with psvr1 is that I didn't play Skyrim and Borderlands back then and because they're brand new to me I was a lot less bitchy about lack of current game releases...

Sakura

oh, now I can understand where the clumsiness comes from... I don't wear glasses, I've seen some that use but still have a good time in VR...
PSVR I could wear with my glasses just fine, but the dimensions of the Quest 2 means the headset just will not go on. Fortunately my vision isn't THAT bad so I can still play, but yeah.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm not. This is a forum for game enthusiasts, game enthusiasts like consoles, PlayStation is the only console with VR.

Quest is enjoying wild success right now, but it's pretty much the Wii of VR, focusing on minigames for casual gamers - though if you have a good pc, it can open up your range of experiences. Anyway, even being hot, I don't think it has surpassed psvr sales yet, but no doubt it'll reach at least 10 million...
Yeah, but I assumed enthusiasts would pick up a set for their PCs since you can do so much more on PC than console.

If this was a casual forum I would assume to see a lot of PSVRs, Quests, and Labo (lol).

Last edited:
VR won't take off, hybrid AR systems will be viable and cheap by the time VR meets the power-price-production combo. One notch below the best of VR right now still requires an insane investment.

bender

What time is it?
you never played SMB, Doom, Street Fighter or any real classic game, did you?

relaxation :messenger_tears_of_joy:

All achievements in SMB, every Street Fighter in arcades since the original, First Person Shooters since since Wolf. Even still, your comparison is too stupid for words but I'll try. With that brain dead logic, I'm guessing I've been gaming much longer than you've been alive or your just on the far left side of the intelligence bell curve. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom