• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo now has decided to drop his belt to avoid negotiations with a Golovkin fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
“After much consideration, today, I instructed my team at Golden Boy Promotions to continue negotiating a fight with Gennady ‘GGG’ Golovkin and to finalize a deal as quickly as possible,” Alvarez said. “I also informed the WBC that I will vacate its title. For the entirety of my career, I have taken the fights that no one wanted because I fear no man. Never has that been more true than today. I will fight ‘GGG’ and I will beat ‘GGG’ but I will not be forced into the ring by artificial deadlines.

While De La Hoya and Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, who represents Golovkin, had several conversations and were negotiating the fight, the deadline of the purse bid loomed.

"There is no denying that Canelo is the biggest star in the sport of boxing," De La Hoya said. "He is eager to get in the ring with GGG to show the world that he is also the best pound-for-pound fighter in the sport. But we won't negotiate under a forced deadline. Now that the WBC title is off the table, I am hopeful that GGG and his promoter, K2 Promotions, will come to the table in good faith and get this deal done."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/15598415/canelo-alvarez-vacates-wbc-title-deadline-looming

Wow not a good look for the supposed most popular fighter in boxing. They can run this deadline story all they want but they know the fights not happening, disappointing for boxing fans that once again the super fight that we want is delayed.

mnannola

GGG with the intsagram TKO:

KSShLTm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom